Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

everyone is allowed to attend the world cup, without discrimination.

No one is allowed to break local laws no matter what locale. That's how it works.

so (say) the UK should let in Canadian weed smokers and let them act as they would in Canada?

And (say) the uk should let in USA gun nuts and allow them to carry arms as they would at home?

:P 

I also seem to remember a campaign around the Brazil world cup and paedophile sex tourists due to their age of consent being 14 and their prostitution laws. Because Brazil allowed peado's to attend all countries should follow!

8 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

As I said, sexuality is very different. My issue is with discriminatory laws. 

Unfortunately, that's merely opinion* to much of the world - and not a universal one.

(* one I agree with, to be clear) 

I've got an issue with their laws, but I don't think cultural imperialism is the answer.

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

No issue with pointing it out, my point is corporate football brings both advantages and disadvantages. People who moan about how everything is dictated by money have no issues when it advantages their team.

I think people do have issues with it but it is just mentioned less as why would be people moan about things that advantage them?

However if I asked you to simply describe where that line should be set, you (and anyone) would struggle as life is not simple. I have no doubt if UEFA moved this final, future players would try and move others quoting precedent.

Okay... I'm not saying it isn't difficult to get right but that's UEFA's job.

I don’t think it would be that interesting. Qatar would let the player play and hope his team got knocked out quickly!

You never know, we may find out!

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Last time I checked my passport didn’t say gay or straight.

Correct, not the point though.

I agree that countries have the rights to make there own laws and there laws should be respected but I just don't think countries that enforce laws that directly discriminate against certain people should allowed to host an international event like the World Cup.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've got an issue with their laws, but I don't think cultural imperialism is the answer.

That's no what I'm proposing. I'm just saying that the World Cup should be hosted by a nation who welcomes all kinds of people. 

12 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I think people do have issues with it but it is just mentioned less as why would be people moan about things that advantage them?

Okay... I'm not saying it isn't difficult to get right but that's UEFA's job.

You never know, we may find out!

Correct, not the point though.

I agree that countries have the rights to make there own laws and there laws should be respected but I just don't think countries that enforce laws that directly discriminate against certain people should allowed to host an international event like the World Cup.

Untill fairly recently there was no gay marriage in both the UK and USA. Would a country who didn't allow gay marriage be allowed to host?

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Unfortunately, that's merely opinion* to much of the world - and not a universal one.

(* one I agree with, to be clear) 

An opinion endorsed and supposedly enforced by football and it's governing bodies in their code of ethics.

I don't get your argument about football not taking sides with country's laws. Why shouldn't they? They have their own rules regarding homophobia and racial abuse, why is it okay for them to ignore their own rules by allowing a tournament they are hosting to take place somewhere that doesn't abide by the same codes?

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Untill fairly recently there was no gay marriage in both the UK and USA. Would a country who didn't allow gay marriage be allowed to host?

Even worse than that. We hosted the bloody thing whilst it was still illegal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_Offences_Act_1967

"Conclusion
FIFA recognises and embraces its 
responsibility to lead the way in the 
global fight against discrimination in 
football. While this fight also relies on 
the implementation of measures by FIFA,  member associations at the national and local level, FIFA is striving to provide the appropriate framework for the eradication of discrimination throughout the football 
community. At every opportunity, FIFA will send a clear message that discrimination is not be tolerated in any form. Discrimination is incompatible with the very essence of sport and the universal values inherent to it."

...But it's okay if it's in the laws of the country that we have given the hosting rights to our biggest tournament.

Edited by mjsell
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mjsell said:

An opinion endorsed and supposedly enforced by football and it's governing bodies in their code of ethics.

I don't get your argument about football not taking sides with country's laws. Why shouldn't they? They have their own rules regarding homophobia and racial abuse, why is it okay for them to ignore their own rules by allowing a tournament they are hosting to take place somewhere that doesn't abide by the same codes?

They also have rules about the separation of a country's FA from it's politics. You're wanting to those that away and mix the two.

Currently there's just 26 countries in the world that allow gay marriage - so that's about 150 that discriminate.

1 minute ago, mjsell said:

"Conclusion
FIFA recognises and embraces its 
responsibility to lead the way in the 
global fight against discrimination in 
football. While this fight also relies on 
the implementation of measures by FIFA,  member associations at the national and local level, FIFA is striving to provide the appropriate framework for the eradication of discrimination throughout the football 
community. At every opportunity, FIFA will send a clear message that discrimination is not be tolerated in any form. Discrimination is incompatible with the very essence of sport and the universal values inherent to it."

...But it's okay if it's in the laws of the country that we have given the hosting rights to our biggest tournament.

if you notice, what you've quoted is couched very firmly within just football.

As far as that particular thing about Qatar goes, it's quite a way down the list of reasons why I personally don't think it should have the world cup - but it's the world cup, not the neil cup or the western liberal values cup.

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

What's the deal with Sane at city? Utterly brilliant every time I see him play and has a great record but not getting much playing time and a move to Bayern not unlikely. What's been the problem?

He's inconsistent and they have a lot of talent. There's also the question of whether he's capable of stepping it up in the big games or just good at bullying the weaker teams.

50 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

He's inconsistent and they have a lot of talent. There's also the question of whether he's capable of stepping it up in the big games or just good at bullying the weaker teams.

Bullying weaker teams is how you win the league. He averaged a goal every two games last season! Pretty good going if you ask me. They are a weaker team if they lose him, no two ways about it.

46 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

He's scored or assisted every 93 minutes in the premier league this season. Including goals in games against Liverpool and United. Just seems mad to me, but I obviously don't watch him enough to have noticed his flaws.

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

Bullying weaker teams is how you win the league. He averaged a goal every two games last season! Pretty good going if you ask me. They are a weaker team if they lose him, no two ways about it.

I don't disagree! I think he's an excellent player and they'd struggle to improve on him, particularly as he's getting better. I was just answering the question of what the criticisms are. 

Sane will not sign a new contract. City will not allow to get into the final year of his contract. He has not been able to get into the first 11 on a regular basis and has had more of an impact from the bench. If he will not sign a new contract then now is the time to sell him.

He is a great player and I would be sad to see him go, but 80 - 100 million would be a good deal for someone who does not make your best 11.

On 5/24/2019 at 4:02 PM, Dan R said:

He's scored or assisted every 93 minutes in the premier league this season. Including goals in games against Liverpool and United. Just seems mad to me, but I obviously don't watch him enough to have noticed his flaws.

I think he's brilliant too but its not just Pep that can see something. I was more surprised Germany didn't take him to the world cup.

Congrats Charlton. Best team I saw in L1 all season. 

SUNDERLAND THOUGH AHA. Considering their financial backing, a completely disastrous season for them. Did I really hear their manager say they overachieved by getting play-offs? The state of that. Couldn't have happened to a nicer club .... :lol:. Ghastly fans.

In all fairness, their goal in the semi was class.

51 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Congrats Charlton. Best team I saw in L1 all season. 

SUNDERLAND THOUGH AHA. Considering their financial backing, a completely disastrous season for them. Did I really hear their manager say they overachieved by getting play-offs? The state of that. Couldn't have happened to a nicer club .... :lol:. Ghastly fans.

In all fairness, their goal in the semi was class.

I quite like Sunderland fans, always got on well with them. Would have liked them to get promoted.