Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

35 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Certainly after Falcao, Sanchez looks silly in hindsight. The transfer policy has been shambolic, more so the players who have been given new contracts. Like who in the name of jumping Jesus gave Phil Jones a 4 year deal? 

It’s all about building now for me, wether that takes 3 years or 5 years. Another shit window or 2 united could quite easily be looking at mid table. I certainly can see the likes of Wolves, Everton and Leicester finishing above united if they get decent signings. 

30 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Me, I doubt it.

Rumour is he wants to stay in London. 

That narrows it down then. Spurs won't spend what Palace want, Chelsea are currently banned from signing players and well... Arsenal? Can't see that one happening either!

5 minutes ago, jyoung said:

That narrows it down then. Spurs won't spend what Palace want, Chelsea are currently banned from signing players and well... Arsenal? Can't see that one happening either!

i think I remember reading that Chelsea wanted him - tho that was before the ban, I think.

I wouldn't be too surprised if he stays at Palace for another season. He doesn't strike me as someone who's driven by ambition, as he did that before and it didn't work out great. I think he'll only move for whatever the right move is for him personally.

53 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i think I remember reading that Chelsea wanted him - tho that was before the ban, I think.

I wouldn't be too surprised if he stays at Palace for another season. He doesn't strike me as someone who's driven by ambition, as he did that before and it didn't work out great. I think he'll only move for whatever the right move is for him personally.

I'd take him at Chelsea in a heartbeat. We're losing Hazard, Hudson-Odoi is facing a lengthy lay off with no guarantee he'll sign a new contract. Pulisic unproven in the Prem and the best days of Willian / Pedro both behind them. Would be a great signing for us.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I have a feeling Zaha may end up being one of those players who prefers being a big fish in a small pond, time will tell.

I wouldn't be surprised either, but if one of the big boys comes calling, I guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

On his day Zaha can terrorise any defence. We’ve seen him do it this year for Palace. The problem is he seems to be too inconsistent.

Even so... I think I would take him as a backup at Liverpool. Although highly doubt he’s moving anywhere to be a backup.

I don't buy this on his day/inconsistent argument any more. He's been amazing week-in, week-out for 2-3 seasons now, . Loads of fans go "why is Zaha only great against our club?" and other shit like that. 

Question is which big team would start him? Arsenal would, but surely he'd only move if they beat Chelsea and get a CL spot? Spurs maybe?

No other place to put this and I'm not starting a hockey topic. 

Best live sporting moment of my life here in Slovakia watching GB ice hockey l, 3 down and to win 4 3 in OT to stay promoted with the big boys of the sport! Atmosphere and fans were out of this world! Bring on world champs in Switzerland next year 

If you get to watch highlights they are a must 

1 hour ago, pryce said:

No other place to put this and I'm not starting a hockey topic. 

Best live sporting moment of my life here in Slovakia watching GB ice hockey l, 3 down and to win 4 3 in OT to stay promoted with the big boys of the sport! Atmosphere and fans were out of this world! Bring on world champs in Switzerland next year 

If you get to watch highlights they are a must 

Yeah I saw it, incredible! British hockey is in such a better place compared to 5/10 years ago. I've been to watch the Devils loads this season and I've noticed the away teams are bringing more and more fans each year.

If any casual was watching that game today is would have made them a fan for sure!

Out of curiosity do you have an EIHL team?

11 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Yeah I saw it, incredible! British hockey is in such a better place compared to 5/10 years ago. I've been to watch the Devils loads this season and I've noticed the away teams are bringing more and more fans each year.

If any casual was watching that game today is would have made them a fan for sure!

Out of curiosity do you have an EIHL team?

I suppose it's the Panthers, being the team I've seen the most, but I would prefer it to be a good game each time. 

Blaze are now my closest team though. 

Having Canadians come up to us who were at the game and say that's one's of the best games they have seen in a long time and congratulating us was special 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

What do you think they should have done based on the fact they didn't know Arsenal would be in the final?

Um if players from a certain country can't safely play in a country, then that country shouldn't have the final.

Move the final elsewhere.

40 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Um if players from a certain country can't safely play in a country, then that country shouldn't have the final.

Move the final elsewhere.

I think that’s fair if you decide the final the day after the semis finish. If your deciding the final venue a year in advance then I’m willing to be a bit more lenient. I don’t think a player should be able to hold a veto over the choice of stadium. Of course if Azerbaijan said they couldn’t guarantee his safety that would be different, they say they can.

I feel it’s unfortunate rather than disgraceful. I can understand the player not wanting to play and UEFA not moving the game.

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

it's great. :lol:  

Love this post:
I’ve been to a few Indian weddings which fall the same day as huge cricket matches and they’ve generally accommodated it- a few times with a open fronted lorry with a huge screen in parked up in the car park grin

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's great. :lol:  

Love this post:
I’ve been to a few Indian weddings which fall the same day as huge cricket matches and they’ve generally accommodated it- a few times with a open fronted lorry with a huge screen in parked up in the car park grin

Favourite is "Can't they just record it and watch it the next day?"

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I think that’s fair if you decide the final the day after the semis finish. If your deciding the final venue a year in advance then I’m willing to be a bit more lenient. I don’t think a player should be able to hold a veto over the choice of stadium. Of course if Azerbaijan said they couldn’t guarantee his safety that would be different, they say they can.

I feel it’s unfortunate rather than disgraceful. I can understand the player not wanting to play and UEFA not moving the game.

I don't think anyone is happy with them having it in that country. It was never going to be a country close to Azerbaijan. 

It's almost as dodgy as the Qatar world cup imo.

Also

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11959/11724925/arsenals-henrikh-mkhitaryan-given-europa-league-safety-assurances-by-azerbaijan-uk-ambassador

On Mkhitaryan's status, Taghizadeh explained: "His problem is that he has visited a military occupied portion of Azerbaijan which in doing so without permission from Azerbijani government.

"This is a Class A event, if our purpose is to play political games around it it is something different, you are being paid as a footballer not a politician, lets leave other issues aside

That's a dodgy as hell statement by the ambassador. 

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I completely disagree with this. It is Uefa's responsibility to pick a suitable location for the final. Baku is possibly the worst place in Europe for the final to be placed. 

There really should be something in place where if the teams in the final of a European competition are both in the same nation, it is just played in that nation. 

Keeping the final in Baku is good for no one but Azerbaijan and UEFA. It is terrible for the fans, players and environment.