Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

One just feels they need the CL to tie it all together. Had a great chance this year, being in an easier side of a draw. The lottery aspect was actually working in their favour. They just couldn’t make it work for them and the chance of a quadruple disappeared. I

Agreed. I would argue a route to the final of Schalke, Spurs and Ajax is about as close to winning the lottery as you can get!

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I have a feeling you wouldn’t say that if City has won it.

I like the Champions League but most blues don't and are not arsed in the slightest about winning it.

Last year when City broke all records, all and sundry were saying they had to retain it to be considered a great team. Now apparently they have to win the Champions League. When Chelsea won it they were nowhere near the best team in Europe, neither were Porto.

There are only 3 domestic trophies up for grabs every season. Out of the last 6 available, City have won 5 of them. They have amassed 198 points over 2 seasone and scoring 201. They have broken goal scoring, total wins and consecutive win records for fun. Small matter of also retaining the title as well.

These last 2 seasons have been truly special and I have doubts any team will come close in England to matching the achievements.

What ever your view of FFP and the negative stories spewed out, this football team and manager are special. I never thought the aguero moment would be topped but it has this season 

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I like the Champions League but most blues don't and are not arsed in the slightest about winning it.

Last year when City broke all records, all and sundry were saying they had to retain it to be considered a great team. Now apparently they have to win the Champions League. When Chelsea won it they were nowhere near the best team in Europe, neither were Porto.

There are only 3 domestic trophies up for grabs every season. Out of the last 6 available, City have won 5 of them. They have amassed 198 points over 2 seasone and scoring 201. They have broken goal scoring, total wins and consecutive win records for fun. Small matter of also retaining the title as well.

These last 2 seasons have been truly special and I have doubts any team will come close in England to matching the achievements.

What ever your view of FFP and the negative stories spewed out, this football team and manager are special. I never thought the aguero moment would be topped but it has this season 

I thought the LDV trophy was a waste of time until Wrexham got to the final and won it. If City won the champions league are you really telling me many City fans would not care and call it a lottery. I just don’t believe that, it’s easier to say you don’t care about winning something you haven’t got that close to winning.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I thought the LDV trophy was a waste of time until Wrexham got to the final and won it. If City won the champions league are you really telling me many City fans would not care and call it a lottery. I just don’t believe that, it’s easier to say you don’t care about winning something you haven’t got that close to winning.

City fans would generally not be arsed if we get banned. Thats the impression I get anyway. Me personally, I love it and would love to win it. The vast, vast majority of City fans would rather win the league than the Champions League though.

29 minutes ago, eastynh said:

When Chelsea won it they were nowhere near the best team in Europe

Oi oi oi there's no need for that ?

To be fair we beat Napoli, Barcelona and Bayern. You'll remember that year because Napoli and Bayern went through from your group!

• Upvote 1

Just now, jyoung said:

Oi oi oi there's no need for that ?

To be fair we beat Napoli, Barcelona and Bayern. You'll remember that year because Napoli and Bayern went through from your group!

The group of death. We got 10 points I think that year and still went out.

That Chelsea team had some class players but it played dire football under Di Matteo. Was far from being the best in Europe. The 2 games between City and Chelsea were close that season though. Proves my point really, Chelsea finished 6th that season but somehow won the Champs League.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The group of death. We got 10 points I think that year and still went out.

That Chelsea team had some class players but it played dire football under Di Matteo. Was far from being the best in Europe. The 2 games between City and Chelsea were close that season though. Proves my point really, Chelsea finished 6th that season but somehow won the Champs League.

Very true! But still...

13 hours ago, thetime said:

Got a few work colleagues that are city season ticket holders, they are not at all bothered about there lack of success in Europe. Although this could be just saving face as they have not been very close to lifting it, a bit like @Wooderson claim its all about the journey.

Then again as a united fan and the shambles united are in, I should just shut my gob.  ?

Back to this fucking chestnut.

17 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

Winner gets a Europa league place. If City win, the Europa place goes to 7th in league (Wolves).

Ah ok cheers. Suppose folk not taking the FA cup seriously wouldn’t give a shit about the Europa either so no real incentive.

The “big” clubs would never allow it but in the context of how to revitalise the FA cup, a champs league place would sort it. 

You could argue that they would be more worthy champions that teams finishing 4th in a league.

Heard yesterday that average price was around 100 notes ( lowest 40 quid in the gods ). Price of football really is crazy. Suppose you get Annie Mac dropping Abide with me as part of the deal ?

Price and the low number of tickets available to Liverpool and Spurs fans is another sickener.

3 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Steve Clarke for Scotland job apparently. Hope rumours are true.

A bit of a win/win for you!

:)

6 hours ago, Wooderson said:

League Cup:

Oxford  Fulham Leicester Burton Chelsea 

FA Cup:

Rotherham Burnley Newport Swansea Brighton Watford 

Champions League:

Lyon Shakhtar Hoffenheim Schalke Tottenham

Champion's League's a lottery.