Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

2 hours ago, rock the clock said:

Can't believe the allocation for the Europa final. We all know UEFA are awful but two London clubs playing in fucking Baku - so difficult to get to and one of Arsenal's players isn't even allowed in the country.

The game is fucked.

To be fair on UEFA they didnt know the finalists when they decided the venue. Nothing to stop the multi millionaire players and owners of either side subsidising fan travel.

12 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

To be fair on UEFA they didnt know the finalists when they decided the venue. Nothing to stop the multi millionaire players and owners of either side subsidising fan travel.

They released a statement about it. They've essentially admitted that it's a logistical nightmare. 

Though I guess I could invoice Roman for a private jet. 

IMG_20190510_193221.jpg

That statement from UEFA is a joke. Admitting they’ve chosen a venue where it is logistically only possible for about 20% of the capacity to actually make it there via commercial airlines.

Only 50% of the Champions League Final being for fans is bad enough but that’s even worse.

19 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

That statement from UEFA is a joke. Admitting they’ve chosen a venue where it is logistically only possible for about 20% of the capacity to actually make it there via commercial airlines.

Only 50% of the Champions League Final being for fans is bad enough but that’s even worse.

It’s a vile insult to *all* footie fans. A disgrace.

As far as I can see Frankfurt and Budapest are the only places in Europe with direct flights there. Looks pretty shit logistically for any of the major European clubs. 10 hr + multi-flights from Spain or Italy too.

Edited by lost

24 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

8000 in the national league play off today. They should really consider changing the venue. Even if you had Notts County/Stockport/Wrexham/chesterfield in the final next season I think half full is about the most they could manage.

Aye, it really is daft. Plenty of grounds in the north west fit for hosting.

I can't work out whether I'm glad Salford have left the non-league pyramid or I'm annoyed that they bought their way out. Fylde are right behind them as well. I went to away games at both clubs before their investments and they were in a right state. Shouldn't be a place for that kind of money in non-league football.

5 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

Aye, it really is daft. Plenty of grounds in the north west fit for hosting.

I can't work out whether I'm glad Salford have left the non-league pyramid or I'm annoyed that they bought their way out. Fylde are right behind them as well. I went to away games at both clubs before their investments and they were in a right state. Shouldn't be a place for that kind of money in non-league football.

As a Wrexham supporter the pragmatist in me is glad to see the back of them, but the sad reality is there always seems to be another bankrolled club on the way.

I wouldn't change the rules to stop it happen, nor would I mock other clubs attendances. However I do feel the lower leagues are weaker as established clubs are replaced with these bankrolled clubs with limitted opportunity for growth.

40 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

As a Wrexham supporter the pragmatist in me is glad to see the back of them, but the sad reality is there always seems to be another bankrolled club on the way.

I wouldn't change the rules to stop it happen, nor would I mock other clubs attendances. However I do feel the lower leagues are weaker as established clubs are replaced with these bankrolled clubs with limitted opportunity for growth.

For sure. I've no suggestions for how it could be prevented. You've got Billericay in the conference south with a bat-shit owner who makes himself manager whilst clubs like North Ferriby are going bust. It's really sad.

15 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

For sure. I've no suggestions for how it could be prevented. You've got Billericay in the conference south with a bat-shit owner who makes himself manager whilst clubs like North Ferriby are going bust. It's really sad.

I know they have financial fair play in league 2 which they don't have in the national league. My guess is clubs like Salford would find their way around it.

1-0 loss at Sunderland isn't bad on paper but the performance was bloody depressing. MOTM to the ref for giving that Sunderland player a red when it was nothing close. Still in with a chance on Thursday but need will need some serious recruitment this summer either way. January was a shambles and it's showing badly.

20,000 empty Sunderland seats too. Yikes.

I've just walked in from Anfield. 

Deflated but optimistic. A fantastic season but City ultimately are worthy winners - the mental strength they've shown over the last few months is phenomenal. Genuinely thought they would be a twist. 

Least I have Madrid to look forward to! 

18 minutes ago, jamesrain said:

Great result for City, we handled the pressure when it counted. Liverpool didn't, 7 points advantage should have been enough but couldn't handle the pressure.Two great teams but come on City, well deserved.

Liverpool finished with 31 out of a possible 33 points. To me that is not failing under pressure. That run City have finished with is unbelievable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, jamesrain said:

Great result for City, we handled the pressure when it counted. Liverpool didn't, 7 points advantage should have been enough but couldn't handle the pressure.Two great teams but come on City, well deserved.

Sound like a child... No team lost it, one team were ever so slightly better than the other. Win with some dignity 

Good performance from us yesterday, Derby didn't show up. 

Second half of the season City won 18 out of 19 games.

LFC move on to Madrid. Win there and it is a glorious season. Lose, and it’s just our best run in the league in a generation and the 3rd highest points total ever.

?