Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Not a bad consolation prize though! It must be great to be a Liverpool fan at present, it seems such a positive club. They are far from perfect and things are often erratic, but everyone is pulling in the same direction.

Yup.  Not much noises about players wanting to leave either. They all seem happy to play under klopp

Origi and Wijnaldum as heroes of the hour. What's even more mental is that Barca rested their entire first 11 this weekend!

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Not a bad consolation prize though! It must be great to be a Liverpool fan at present, it seems such a positive club. They are far from perfect and things are often erratic, but everyone is pulling in the same direction.

It’s bliss. 

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I am slightly wary on judging based on one year of champions league. The premiership clubs have been pretty inconsistent over recent years. Is this the start of a new era of premiership dominance or just a good year, probably need a few more years to judge.

I'm not saying there will be an era of prem dominance but I do think the league, particularly in the top half, is in great shape. 

English teams doing so well in Europe really does refute any claim that the prem is in some kind of quality crisis as some have suggested.

25 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The “doing well in Europe” thing is meaningless guff. City oil riches have wrecked the league. Only for LFC the division would look embarrassing now. 

This is effectively what you are saying: "any evidence that is against my point is guff. City have used money to get good and I don't like it it. Despite this, this season was actually quite exciting as LFC have also been good".

Edited by CRW5252

I went and saw Frank Carter tonight and there were 3 scousers in the smoking area, as soon as that 4 goal went in they went batshit crazy and the bouncers went overboard thinking they were terrorists or something. It was the biggest reaction to a footie game when the footie wasn't actually on I've ever seen.

Edited by jump
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, thetime said:

To do that without 2 of your best strikers is quite remarkable. 

yup. No one seems to do it quite like Liverpool, do they? 

Laughed my arse off at the fans calling Suarez a cheat. Took a while to notice, eh? :lol: 

(and he's dirty dirty dirty ... but somehow there's a special sneaky something to it, that almost has to be admired. That kick at Robertson could almost be called top-class [loved Robertson's response of 'who's going to the final?']).

9 hours ago, Wooderson said:

The “doing well in Europe” thing is meaningless guff. City oil riches have wrecked the league. Only for LFC the division would look embarrassing now. 

City have made the league far better and more interesting. United won 13 leagues in 16 years or something didn't they? No one was moaning then. The premier league is as good as it has ever been. This is arguably the best title race there has ever been. Liverpool have just had one of the greatest nights in one of their greatest ever seasons. Log on to e fests and Liverpool fans are moaning about City ?‍♂️

Enjoy your day. It was a great performance and you now have a final to look forward to, on top of an exciting climax to the league.

I wonder how much of last nights result is down to the Liverpool fans setting off numerous sets of fireworks outside the Barcelona hotel throughout the previous night, and the Barcelona players being affected by broken / non existent sleep.

small margins, and all that.....

and, if so, how ok is that? Is it about as ok as when the Man City bus was attacked before another 'famous european night at anfield'. 

I'm surprised the msm haven't gone near it.

Edited by man next door

a comment I saw elsewhere last night flagged up that Barca were beaten 4-0 by a team that included 3 players bought from relegated Prem clubs.

It's also worth noting that Liverpool's starting front line last night cost about £6.50, while Barca's has a value of £400m+.

I think there's probably something worth studying there for the less-monied clubs.

3 minutes ago, man next door said:

I wonder how much of last nights result is down to the Liverpool fans setting off numerous sets of fireworks outside the Barcelona hotel throughout the previous night, and the Barcelona players being affected by broken / non existent sleep.

small margins, and all that.....

Stuff like that always happens unfortunately. But at the same time, it's minor and I doubt fireworks would keep Barca players up all night. They probably have methods of keeping outside sounds out, it's not the 70s!

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

a comment I saw elsewhere last night flagged up that Barca were beaten 4-0 by a team that included 3 players bought from relegated Prem clubs.

It's also worth noting that Liverpool's starting front line last night cost about £6.50, while Barca's has a value of £400m+.

I think there's probably something worth studying there for the less-monied clubs.

They all start somehwere: it's coaching as much as their innate talent though. Anyone else probably wouldn't have got those players doing that, klopp deserves a lot of plaudits!

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Stuff like that always happens unfortunately. But at the same time, it's minor and I doubt fireworks would keep Barca players up all night. They probably have methods of keeping outside sounds out, it's not the 70s!

Does it, though?

Perhaps it's just my twitter feed, but I hadn't seen it many times. I know there have been one or two over the last few seasons, but wasn't aware of it being that common.

As excellent as liverpool were, I'm just looking for an explanation as to why Barca were slightly off the pace.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They all start somehwere: it's coaching as much as their innate talent though. Anyone else probably wouldn't have got those players doing that, klopp deserves a lot of plaudits!

agree. He's doing an excellent job

Edited by man next door

5 minutes ago, man next door said:

Does it, though?

Perhaps it's just my twitter feed, but I hadn't seen it many times. I know there have been one or two over the last few seasons, but wasn't aware of it being that common.

As excellent as liverpool were, I'm just looking for an explanation as to why Barca were slightly off the pace.

Liverpool were just bigger, faster and stronger. Barca could not keep the ball and Liverpool tore through them. Barca just looked so slow, Liverpool were two steps ahead of them in that second half.