Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

20 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I find the media Spurs love funny. On the BBC live commentary they have written maybe the premiership should just send 3 teams and hand a place back. Over 36 games Spurs are a whole 2 points ahead of Chelsea!

Fun fact: they're also in the semi-finals of the Champs League, Plus they've done it on a smaller budget and are perceived to play more attractive football.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

Fun fact: they're also in the semi-finals of the Champs League, Plus they've done it on a smaller budget and are perceived to play more attractive football.

The champions league places are determined on points there are no bonuses for playing style or handicap for budgets. Over a league season there is no significant difference between spurs and Chelsea. Both will be deserved of a champions league place if they earn it through the league.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

The champions league places are determined on points there are no bonuses for playing style or handicap for budgets. Over a league season there is no significant difference between spurs and Chelsea. Both will be deserved of a champions league place if they earn it through the league.

I understand the league system already. But their league position and how they are perceived by the media/people in general are separate issues.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

I understand the league system already. But their league position and how they are perceived by the media/people in general are separate issues.

Spurs drop points to clubs with lesser wage budgets and it's brushed under the table. Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal do and there are huge inquests. Spurs style of football is also exaggerated more than I can remember in recent memory, they play decent football, but nothing special. 

The way I look at the premiership is there are 2 very good teams at present, then 4 in a grouping who are pretty close. This is reflected by the league, but the media would make you think spurs are a level above the other 3.

9 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Utd need to write off about 5 seasons worth of their usual ambitions.

Pretty much spot on. 

This thing about attracting players because of the champions league is massively short sighted. The ones we’ve attracted and signed have been at best woeful. 

They need a long term plan and forget about just papering over the cracks. 

9 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Can't wait to see what meme they come up with if City win their next 2 games. Just think, if Liverpool had not blew a 7 point lead, they would not need favours from elsewhere.

That 7 point thing is a bit deceptive as (correct me if mistaken) Liverpool played a game more to get those points so it’s not a like for like comparison. I don’t really see Liverpool as having blown anything, their points in the second half of the season isn’t out of line with others who have won the league. If City win the league they have won it, rather than Liverpool losing it.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

That 7 point thing is a bit deceptive as (correct me if mistaken) Liverpool played a game more to get those points so it’s not a like for like comparison. I don’t really see Liverpool as having blown anything, their points in the second half of the season isn’t out of line with others who have won the league. If City win the league they have won it, rather than Liverpool losing it.

Were Liverpool not 10 points clear but City had a game in hand? 

Liverpool had the chance to finish City off twice and failed. The game at the Etihad they were tepid and City deservedly won.Then after City lost at Newcastle, Liverpool again failed to capitalise.

Liverpool may well still go on to win the league but if they don't, they had their chances to and blew it.

22 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Can't wait to see what meme they come up with if City win their next 2 games. Just think, if Liverpool had not blew a 7 point lead, they would not need favours from elsewhere.

If City hadn't blown 10 points in December they wouldn't be looking over their shoulders. 

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Spurs drop points to clubs with lesser wage budgets and it's brushed under the table. Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal do and there are huge inquests. Spurs style of football is also exaggerated more than I can remember in recent memory, they play decent football, but nothing special. 

The way I look at the premiership is there are 2 very good teams at present, then 4 in a grouping who are pretty close. This is reflected by the league, but the media would make you think spurs are a level above the other 3.

As a kid, did a Spus fan steal your sweets ? ? 

What I'm trying (badly) to convey is that Liverpool haven't 'blown the league's, that's a ridiculous Talk Sportesque argument. They just dropped points at a different time to when City did.

Possibly losing 1 game and drawing 7 in a season, maybe ending up on 97 points and not winning it isn't blowing anything. It's coming up against an incredible team in City, making up the 25 point difference from the season before and just falling short.

No-one thought we'd be this close.

• Upvote 1

You’ve won the league for a few weeks now. Be gracious and knock this snide lunacy on the noggin. You cried into your pint a while back over people calling your team “Citeh” and vanished for 6 months when LFC put you out the CL last year. Loser chat. Giving it billy big balls now ain’t a good look.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

No, just pointing out that this huge gap in class between Chelsea and Spurs is not reflected in the league. Both will probably get top 4 and both will deserve it.

I was just pulling your leg ? 

I remember you being critical of the praise Harry Kane gets in the past so have always sensed that Spurs weren’t your thing.

To be clear I’m no fan of Kane either. I sometimes manage a full day without thinking about his injury time equaliser at Hampden. Happened right in front of me. One of those that I “knew” he’d score while the ball was still in the air coming towards him. 

28 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Were Liverpool not 10 points clear but City had a game in hand? 

Liverpool had the chance to finish City off twice and failed. The game at the Etihad they were tepid and City deservedly won.Then after City lost at Newcastle, Liverpool again failed to capitalise.

Liverpool may well still go on to win the league but if they don't, they had their chances to and blew it.

Your right, I was remembering a different part of the season. However point still stands, dropping the odd point to mid table sides is something that champions throughout history have had to deal with. Those who have got 90+ points have generally quickly forgotten these games as they have had little impact, Liverpool or City (whoever comes second) won’t have that luxury.

My basic grasp of maths tells me that in 34 games against teams positioned 3-20 Liverpool are marginally ahead of City, however I would happily admit it’s not a significant difference and both records are fantastic, It may go down to the 2 Liverpool v city games which were tight, but City overall better over the 2 games. Rather than talking negatively about people blowing things, I see it as 2 fantastic teams over a season who would both be deserved winners.

10 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

You’ve won the league for a few weeks now. Be gracious and knock this snide lunacy on the noggin. You cried into your pint a while back over people calling your team “Citeh” and vanished for 6 months when LFC put you out the CL last year. Loser chat. Giving it billy big balls now ain’t a good look.

I am not giving it billy big balls, just pointing out some observations. Need need to get all uptight. It is not over till its over. Yes I have always maintained I think City will win it but there will be nothing premature coming from me.

When have Scousers ever been known to have been gracious?