Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

On 4/25/2019 at 3:29 PM, CRW5252 said:

There is certainly an increase in attendance for clubs as the climb up the leagues and I don't see why that would change as they establish themselves in the prem. I have no idea about the stats though, it would be interesting to look into.

I just looked into the likes of Watford, Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth and Palace in recent years. They seemed to suggest that as a club becomes more established in the league the attendances remain fairly static

Is @Wooderson doing the BBC website coverage today?

"The gulf in class between these two teams is there for all to see.

And it's not surprising given the following stat. As things stand, there are 77 (SEVENTY SEVEN!) points between the two sides. We believe that is the biggest gap ever between two Premier League teams.

Even Derby, officially the worst side in Premier League history (with 11 points), only finished 76 points behind eventual champions Manchester United in 2007-08."

12 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Is @Wooderson doing the BBC website coverage today?

"The gulf in class between these two teams is there for all to see.

And it's not surprising given the following stat. As things stand, there are 77 (SEVENTY SEVEN!) points between the two sides. We believe that is the biggest gap ever between two Premier League teams.

Even Derby, officially the worst side in Premier League history (with 11 points), only finished 76 points behind eventual champions Manchester United in 2007-08."

77 points????? Cmon. Not sustainable.

What makes this even more embarrassing is that in the last 15-20 years I think the quality of the championship had improved significantly. Teams often stay in the prem the first attempt, but then one player gets poached or they lose the energy to cope with the frequent losses and go down in their 2nd season. 

There are lots of teams that stay up and wouldn't have managed to finish 19th 15 years ago. Think of the atrocious messes at big clubs like Villa and Scumderland and how many seasons they scraped survival. The Leeds and west ham teams that got relegated were far better than those. 

20 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I just looked into the likes of Watford, Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth and Palace in recent years. They seemed to suggest that as a club becomes more established in the league the attendances remain fairly static

That is interesting. What seasons were you looking at?

I think % of max capacity should also be looked at as well. Some teams will have reached max capacity so can't increase their attendance because of that 

2 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

That is interesting. What seasons were you looking at?

I think % of max capacity should also be looked at as well. Some teams will have reached max capacity so can't increase their attendance because of that 

I just looked at seasons since they got promoted, it was a very quick scan. To me it makes sense , these teams are generally happy for 40 points a season. If your not on board from the start why would you suddenly jump on after a few years? I accept that they will gain new younger fans, but also will lose some older fans.

Are many of these mid/lower premiership sides consistently selling out? I have never heard anything to suggest that, but could be wrong.

Great start to the day for me! Bagged tickets in the resale for my last batch of mates that didn't have any, so can sleep at night now knowing everyone is in! That and the coffee this morning has got me feeling positive ahead of the United game.

20 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

A decent chance of Wrexham now qualifying for the Scottish challenge cup after finishing 4th in the national league!

Is that still a thing ?

Thought they might have a re-think after the shambles this year.

Personally I hope they give it another go. Wouldn’t mind a trip abroad that didn’t involve the National team ?

Talking of Scotland, bookies seem to think Moyes is the man. I’ve warmed slightly to the idea as Malky Mackay seems to be the only other realistic option.

Massively in City's favour now. Whoever wins it, deserves it - I'll be gutted if we (Liverpool) don't but it's easier to take than 2014. Talking literally mm which are swinging the title race.  

Think it's important Cardiff get a result against Palace so that Brighton have something to fight for on the last day - provided we beat Newcastle.

Hope rests with one man...

2znfiv.jpg