Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

How do you think Salford will do in attracting fans when they get in the football league. They seem to be getting about 2k now, but I can't imagine there being a huge demand once they move up.

I think rhey will get 2-3k. Its a massive United area where they are based so if United are not on at the same time and away, they may get a few more.

This is the problem for both Salford and FC United. Because of their rag afilliations, they are never going to attract any City fans. Thats pretty much 50% of the  potential customers that you could attract ruled out straight away.

Manchester and Salford is either City or United. There is no room reallly for another league club.

57 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I think rhey will get 2-3k. Its a massive United area where they are based so if United are not on at the same time and away, they may get a few more.

This is the problem for both Salford and FC United. Because of their rag afilliations, they are never going to attract any City fans. Thats pretty much 50% of the  potential customers that you could attract ruled out straight away.

Manchester and Salford is either City or United. There is no room reallly for another league club.

This is what I don't understand about small clubs/towns investing so much into their football clubs. Whats the end game? Surely there comes a point where after such heavy investment and no return they get bored?

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Dunno about that.

I've loved watching Wolves this season, who've played (sometimes) with a flair others (outside the top) haven't got close to.

As I'm not "a fan" of any Prem club I tend to watch the teams who play the football I like, and that changes as teams change style.  It's not like they have to be winning stuff, I watched Arsenal thru most of those dry (but still good football) Wenger years.

I'm thinking there's a good chance that Wolves will improve some more over coming seasons, and (unlikely but possible) might pick up some silverware - but that's not why I watch them; I watch them because I enjoy what I watch (more than I do many other teams), whether they win or lose.

For me it's about the football not about the glory.

Nothing wrong with that,you enjoy a game of football.I meant the people who pick successful teams randomly then think it makes them someone.

4 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

All clubs have to start somewhere and build up a fan base organically. All the big clubs who have fell off recently only have a big fan base because of their past success. 

I don't see a fan who picks a successful team as a gloryhunter. I would say a gloryhunter is someone who keeps switching the team they support based on who's playing better at the time. 

A gloryhunter is someone who chooses a big name team whether they change alliances or not.They may as well change cos their original choice was just a latch on so another one wont make any difference.

3 hours ago, eastynh said:

It does not matter if you support your team because they were successful or because they are your local team

I'd say it was the crux of what made football great in the first place.Family,friends,community,pride in area.Funnily enough you don't see a big rush for all these loyal supporters picking Gillingham or Hartlepool.It's not that big an ask to choose one of the most famous clubs in the world and stick with them.

The sight of Hampshire mancs having girder with Hertford scousers or fights in Ireland over teams is where we are now.A bit of a joke really even if they still like the same team this year as last year.

3 hours ago, eastynh said:

I can see them getting to league 1 with the amount of money they have to spend. I wonder if that's good enough for a vanity project and if the owners will lose interest.

5 hours ago, Lad said:

A gloryhunter is someone who chooses a big name team whether they change alliances or not.They may as well change cos their original choice was just a latch on so another one wont make any difference.

By that definition, every fan of a big team is a glory hunter. 

7 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

By that definition, every fan of a big team is a glory hunter. 

Only if you choose to ignore the main points of the debate.I thought they were obvious.I was addressing the argument about how they came to support teams they have no connection to and not the irrelevant (imo)whether or not they keep on supporting said teams.

I'll give you a clue its because the teams they like are famous,successful and they're on telly a lot.

2 hours ago, Lad said:

Only if you choose to ignore the main points of the debate.I thought they were obvious.I was addressing the argument about how they came to support teams they have no connection to and not the irrelevant (imo)whether or not they keep on supporting said teams.

This isn't legible so I can't work out what you mean.

2 hours ago, Lad said:

I'll give you a clue its because the teams they like are famous,successful and they're on telly a lot.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that being the initial reason you support a team as long as you support them when they are not as successful as well. 

I've got an example, my Grandad started supporting Wolves in the 1950s as they were doing very well at the time. He continued to support them throughout his whole life even though they became much less successful. By your definition, he would be a glory hunter. I would disagree.

28 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

This isn't legible so I can't work out what you mean.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that being the initial reason you support a team as long as you support them when they are not as successful as well. 

I've got an example, my Grandad started supporting Wolves in the 1950s as they were doing very well at the time. He continued to support them throughout his whole life even though they became much less successful. By your definition, he would be a glory hunter. I would disagree.

I met an Australian who follows Liverpool obsessively, been following them for the last 15 years since Istanbul and watches all the matches live in the middle of the night, and travels over every couple of years even without tickets to anfield. Watching them win the Champions League made him a fan but the effort he's put in since then makes it hard to call him a glory supporter. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dan R said:

I met an Australian who follows Liverpool obsessively, been following them for the last 15 years since Istanbul and watches all the matches live in the middle of the night, and travels over every couple of years even without tickets to anfield. Watching them win the Champions League made him a fan but the effort he's put in since then makes it hard to call him a glory supporter. 

But he initially started supporting them for the glory. 

I would say anyone that supports a team where they don’t live, or has no family connections(example your dad supports the team) is a glory hunter. 

Unless you live in the city or family connection, what other reason is there to support a united or  a Liverpool? Hey I started supported united in the 80s when we won virtually fuck all, that doesn’t change that I was attracted of the glamour of a big club. Rather than support a Birmingham or Walsall. 

Why fans get so offended by being called a glory hunter is beyond me. 

Edited by thetime
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

Why fans get so offended by being called a glory hunter is beyond me. 

I think it is because glory hunting fans are seen as not loyal and not 'real' fans.

At the end of the day, the definition doesn't matter. If you support a club and love doing it every week, then all the power to you.   

5 minutes ago, thetime said:

I would say anyone that supports a team where they don’t live, or has no family connections (example your dad supports the team) is a glory hunter. 

I started supporting Chelsea aged 5 because my infants school was on Winchelsea Road, so my tiny pea sized child brain thought that the name of the street must have meant that Chelsea were winners. My Dad was a Spurs fan. Ironically at the time, Chelsea didn't really win much but I suppose that my thought process made me a glory hunter regardless.

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I started supporting Chelsea aged 5 because my infants school was on Winchelsea Road, so my tiny pea sized child brain thought that the name of the street must have meant that Chelsea were winners. My Dad was a Spurs fan. Ironically at the time, Chelsea didn't really win much but I suppose that my thought process made me a glory hunter regardless.

Hahaha, this has reminded me of when I was about 6-7 and first started to properly get into football. I support Arsenal because of my Mum. I can remember being absolutely distraught when another kid in the playground said Arsenal's name is just based on the fact that they are all 'arses' and always get 'nil'. I genuinely considered not supporting Arsenal anymore on that day but thankfully I stuck to it. Kid's minds are hilarious. 

1 minute ago, CRW5252 said:

Hahaha, this has reminded me of when I was about 6-7 and first started to properly get into football. I support Arsenal because of my Mum. I can remember being absolutely distraught when another kid in the playground said Arsenal's name is just based on the fact that they are all 'arses' and always get 'nil'. I genuinely considered not supporting Arsenal anymore on that day but thankfully I stuck to it. Kid's minds are hilarious. 

The talk around our playground was that the similarity in name of Arsene Wenger and Arsenal was because he was the club's 'Dad'...

Work that one out.

I say it was because of my dad.... I supported Leeds because they beat man city in a subbeteo game I played....oh how different it could of been. Leeds beat Yugoslavia in the semi final ....now that would of been different

I can't wait till City get some glory hunters and fill those empty seats. Rivals will have nothing left to try and mock us with then.

So tonight. There is no point Liverpool going after the goal difference is there? Tonight would be the ideal occasion to try claw it back though.

12 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I can't wait till City get some glory hunters and fill those empty seats. Rivals will have nothing left to try and mock us with then.

So tonight. There is no point Liverpool going after the goal difference is there? 

There is, if City lose one and Liverpool draw one they'll be on equal points. Unlikely but possible. Liverpool have a great chance tonight to clock up 5 or 6. Or more. It could be an absolute massacre. Huddersfield have conceded 4 goals in 3 of their last 5 games.

They're total shit.