Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

So only 3 teams represented in the team of the year - one of them being Pogba? wtf - yet the league is laden with quality...

Top 4 "race" the easiest ive ever seen it. Bottom two relegated in March? Cmon lads. City getting another 100 points next year. Sooner the league wises up the better. The general standard is poor.

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

So only 3 teams represented in the team of the year - one of them being Pogba? wtf - yet the league is laden with quality...

Top 4 "race" the easiest ive ever seen it. Bottom two relegated in March? Cmon lads. City getting another 100 points next year. Sooner the league wises up the better. The general standard is poor.

How do you change the quality? 

The league needs to get rid of these peripheral sides. Soz. Need some of the big city teams in again and for them to prosper. The London/Sth Coast dominated era we're in now is rubbish. Could do with a strong Villa, Leeds, Sheff Utd.

If peeps are happy with the Prem turning into the Scottish Premier then fine, but I would doubt it. Utd were 13/2 to win at home last night. Thats a damning indictment.

Just now, thetime said:

How do you change the quality? 

You and me of a similar vintage I think? City getting close to 300 points in 3 years with promoted sides winning 3 games in a season not sustainable. Or am I well wide of the mark (as per) ?

How I would change the quality... not easy of course. Ultimately people will lose interest regardless of what way Sky try to sell the stakes to us if inevitability creeps in. So its down to the league to govern, regulate, control, guide the league back to some kind of harmony. Walker/Abramovich/Mansoor... league has seen this type of shite before and not responded. NFL can ensure teams that were shite 4 years ago can be contenders this year ... footie has a lot to learn IMO. Sport+unlim money is shite.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

You and me of a similar vintage I think? City getting close to 300 points in 3 years with promoted sides winning 3 games in a season not sustainable. Or am I well wide of the mark (as per) ?

How I would change the quality... not easy of course. Ultimately people will lose interest regardless of what way Sky try to sell the stakes to us if inevitability creeps in. So its down to the league to govern, regulate, control, guide the league back to some kind of harmony. Walker/Abramovich/Mansoor... league has seen this type of shite before and not responded. NFL can ensure teams that were shite 4 years ago can be contenders this year ... footie has a lot to learn IMO. Sport+unlim money is shite.

It’s an interesting one and if there is a limit to spending and wages, the money must trickle down to match going fans and ticket prices slashed. If it doesn’t the owners would cream more money into there accounts.

5 minutes ago, thetime said:

It’s an interesting one and if there is a limit to spending and wages, the money must trickle down to match going fans and ticket prices slashed. If it doesn’t the owners would cream more money into there accounts.

Point out the match going fan that wouldnt approve of the above? Time to act is now. Petty rivalries and Sky managed faux-drama will collapse in the face of money ruining the league. Couple more oil-countries buy into the league and its far too late.

do we expect this European super league to happen? because I think it will and I would enjoy football at the top level without them a lot more

would probably hurt domestic leagues though with a lot of money leaving

3 minutes ago, pryce said:

do we expect this European super league to happen? because I think it will and I would enjoy football at the top level without them a lot more

would probably hurt domestic leagues though with a lot of money leaving

Will never happen. 

Tv companies would pull out, certainly at the price they currently pay. 

Edited by thetime

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm not having Ederson in the PFA team of the year. He has been a very good signing and compliments City well, but there are many keepers who have waaay more to do.

When was the last time the 'keeper with the most clean sheets wasnt on the team of the year? Again, apols for my ignorance.

22 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

Even a player like Pickford never would have stayed at a club like Everton after his World Cup.

Im not so certain. I think goalkeeper is the one position where it is harder to get that move as you can only play the one position and you are rarely used as a sub.

Looking back Bolton managed to keep a player like Jaaskaleinen (better than Pickford in my view) probably because the top clubs a had decent keepers 

24 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm not having Ederson in the PFA team of the year. He has been a very good signing and compliments City well, but there are many keepers who have waaay more to do.

Not that I disagree with your point, but who has been a better keeper this season? I can think of high profile gaffes by every keeper outside the 2 title challengers. 

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Not that I disagree with your point, but who has been a better keeper this season? I can think of high profile gaffes by every keeper outside the 2 title challengers. 

Of course if you have a lot less saves to make, your less likely to make gaffes. I would go for Foster who I think has had the most significant impact at his club.

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

The league needs to get rid of these peripheral sides. Soz. Need some of the big city teams in again and for them to prosper. The London/Sth Coast dominated era we're in now is rubbish. Could do with a strong Villa, Leeds, Sheff Utd.

Can't get my head around this. They aren't just going to prosper because they are from a big city though are they?

The league isn't going to be any better if Fulham, Southampton and Brighton were relegated and those three came up. They'd face the same problems.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

You mentioned Villa just now but Villa only won 3 games the year they were relegated and for three consecutive seasons before they were relegated they only won one more game than the likes of Brighton and Cardiff this year. As did Sheffield United when they were relegated... So it's swings and roundabouts really.

Initially yes these teams would face problems. They would probably scrape through survival first season after promotion. But the bigger city teams have scale/fanbases that will grow over time and see them progress to stability and success.

A well managed Sunderland/Villa/Leeds/Forest and one of the Sheffield clubs (even Derby/Norwich/Boro? are more substantial clubs) "should" be in the Premier League instead of the relative minnows that are focussed only on survival each August. This would bring up the standard of the league IMO. The sth coast teams benefiting from proximity to London at the moment. Part of wider malaise.

18 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Of course if you have a lot less saves to make, your less likely to make gaffes. I would go for Foster who I think has had the most significant impact at his club.

Okay fair shout there. 

Edited by kaosmark2

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

You mentioned Villa just now but Villa only won 3 games the year they were relegated and for three consecutive seasons before they were relegated they only won one more game than the likes of Brighton and Cardiff this year. As did Sheffield United when they were relegated... So it's swings and roundabouts really.

Youre right - but can you sit there and say that a well managed Villa isnt a premier league sized club? That theyve been poorly managed isn't the club or the fans fault. Burnley will pose a bigger challenge to City than Man Utd did last night. This isnt sustainable.