Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

What’s happened to De Gea?

I put him in my FF team a few weeks ago thats what.

Beaten on his near post for two goals though. He was saving those in his sleep a couple of years ago

9 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Laughable really that one of Chelsea, Arsenal or United will qualify for CL. What a state.

Three teams that have all reached at least the last 8 of a European competition this year. Not that bad of a state really.

Edited by CRW5252

3 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Three teams that have all reached at least the last 8 of a European competition this year. Not that bad of a state really.

Quality of teams in the Europa League is far below that of Chelsea and Arsenal so that's no huge achievement. The domestic form of all three clubs has been tremendously bad at times this year.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There’s still a chance both Arsenal and Chelsea will be in the CL next year.

Possibly a Europa final before then as well.

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Quality of teams in the Europa League is far below that of Chelsea and Arsenal so that's no huge achievement. 

Yes but that shows that they aren't out of place in the CL. 

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

The domestic form of all three clubs has been tremendously bad at times this year.

This is always the case for team's that finish 4th and below. Equally they have all had times when they have been on impressive form.

6 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Quality of teams in the Europa League is far below that of Chelsea and Arsenal so that's no huge achievement. The domestic form of all three clubs has been tremendously bad at times this year.

Possibly a Europa final before then as well.

Exactly one could finish 4th and the other could win the EL.

Nice of everyone to give Spurs some breathing space ahead of their CL Semi.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Exactly one could finish 4th and the other could win the EL.

Nice of everyone to give Spurs some breathing space ahead of their CL Semi.

If that did happen (the team that won EL finished outside top 4), would that not mean than the team in 4th doesn't get CL? This happened a while back with Tottenham (Chelsea won EL so Tottenham didn't get CL despite finishing 4th). 

33 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

If that did happen (the team that won EL finished outside top 4), would that not mean than the team in 4th doesn't get CL? This happened a while back with Tottenham (Chelsea won EL so Tottenham didn't get CL despite finishing 4th). 

No. Chelsea won the Champions League. That's what stopped Spurs qualifying. 

Here's what I believe the rules to be:

If one of Arsenal or Chelsea win the EL and the other finishes 4th, both qualify for CL.

5th gets Europa. League Cup and FA Cup winners also get Europa.

As City won the League Cup and will probably win the FA Cup also, we would see 6th and 7th in the Europa as well although they would enter at an earlier stage than the groups.

Should say Arsenal win Europa but finish fifth whilst Chelsea finish forth, I believe we would then see 6th, 7th and 8th in Europa next year but that is the one I am least sure on.

Edited by jyoung

7 minutes ago, jyoung said:

No. Chelsea won the Champions League. That's what stopped Spurs qualifying. 

Ah, fair enough. I remembered wrong! 

7 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Here's what I believe the rules to be 

If one of Arsenal or Chelsea win the EL and the other finishes 4th, both qualify for CL.

5th gets Europa. League Cup and FA Cup winners also get Europa.

As City won the League Cup and will probably win the FA Cup also, we would see 6th and 7th in the Europa as well although they would enter at an earlier stage than the groups.

Should say Arsenal win Europa but finish fifth whilst Chelsea finish forth, I believe we would then see 6th, 7th and 8th in Europa next year but that is the one I am least sure on.

That's good news for English teams then. I wonder how they decide who misses out due to the extra CL spot from the winner of the EL. I always assumed it would be that a team from the winners country misses out.