Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

VAR says different, which is why I'm pointing out that VAR doesn't really resolve it.

As it happens there's just been a phone-in about VAR on 5live, where just about everyone said it would be great but it's "too inconsistent" and it "should be perfect, surely we can improve it?" and "referees need to be better trained"... which all sounds a bit familiar if only people would stop and actually think. ;) 

So the only benefit turns out to be the drama of the VAR decision itself, which is all very well, but it's meant to be entertainment by kicking a ball about and not the entertainment of a flawed-can-never-be-perfect review system. The benefit is at the expense of the game.

Did you not think the late disallowed goal was dramatic last night?  Never known anything so dramatic and surreal in a football ground before.

29 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I spent all evening watching the Liverpool match and telling my missus I should have been watching City/Spurs

One of the most dramatic games I've ever seen yeah. I've never seen 50000 people going from that level of elation to that level of deflation so quickly. Ever. Not just in sport. In any circumstances. 

With no VAR Llorentes goal would've stood as would Sterlings 3rd. 

7 hours ago, LJS said:

So Alec McLeish is gone. 

Anyone fancy a job?

Not the hardest act to follow.

Correct decision for me. Did a good job first time round. 2nd appointment was a mistake. 

Hoping for something different to Moyes. Talk that Steve Clark will be leaving Killie but would be very surprised if he took the Scotland job. Reckon he could do a job back down South.

10 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Correct decision for me. Did a good job first time round. 2nd appointment was a mistake. 

Hoping for something different to Moyes. Talk that Steve Clark will be leaving Killie but would be very surprised if he took the Scotland job. Reckon he could do a job back down South.

I can see Clarke getting another opportunity in the championship which would (sadly) be a better prospect for most than the Scotland job.  Can you see Scotland going younger? Both Wales (under Coleman) and Northern Ireland have had success with that approach.

22 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I can see Clarke getting another opportunity in the championship which would (sadly) be a better prospect for most than the Scotland job.  Can you see Scotland going younger? Both Wales (under Coleman) and Northern Ireland have had success with that approach.

I'd be fine with them taking a punt with someone younger. But for me the main skill required is persuading players to give a shit & turn up to play for the team.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Yep. I think Clarke will have better options. Wouldn’t rule out Scott Gemmel who’s got the U 21’s.

Its a really difficult one because anyone young who manages some relative success will get better offers. See McLeish first time round.

2 hours ago, LJS said:

I'd be fine with them taking a punt with someone younger. But for me the main skill required is persuading players to give a shit & turn up to play for the team.

Agree and that could in theory be a problem if they go with the younger option.

Seemingly less than 10,000 season tickets sold and a lot of folk over in San Marino were only there because they’d booked prior to the Kazakhstan result. Sad scenes.

Tough gig.

2 hours ago, mjsell said:

For my money, the Llorente VAR decision was the correct one. Definitely no deliberate nature to it and no movement of the hand towards the ball. Doesn't tick any of the boxes according to the handball law.

100% agree.

the law as it stands means it’s a goal IMO.

next season however it would not have stood...

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

100% agree.

the law as it stands means it’s a goal IMO.

next season however it would not have stood...

Yep. Which for me personally already shows that the change is a load of bollocks. To have one rule for goalscoring situations and a different rule for all other areas of the pitch is ridiculous. 

absolute bottle jobs....hate being a Leeds fan, just misery upon misery upon more bloody misery. can we still finish 14th again so i dont have to feel anything like usual. do not deserve anything if we cant beat a 10 man wigan, after being 1 up

taking this quite well

11 hours ago, mjsell said:

For my money, the Llorente VAR decision was the correct one. Definitely no deliberate nature to it and no movement of the hand towards the ball. Doesn't tick any of the boxes according to the handball law.

Does not matter if it was deliberate or not regards scoring a goal. 

22 hours ago, thetime said:

At both games(Sunderland v united), games are so over hyped now though. 

The 2nd Division play off final v Gillingham and the Aguerooooooo moment were both far more dramatic and important than the game the other night.

What makes this game different is the fact it was a fantastic game with some quality football. It was on a knife edge from the minute Raheem put his first in the net, till the offside Var decision into injury time. Could have gone either way right till the death and there was 7 goals. Absolutely fantastic game of football.

• Upvote 1

To me the PFA player of the year has to go to VVD. All contenders have had great seasons, but he is the one that if you took out of the side over a season there would be significant regression.

As for young player I would discount Sterling and Bernardo as they are not young by any reasonable definition. I think Brooks, Rice, Rashford and Trent would all be deserved winners.