Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

Keane would still make an impact today, not sure he'd be amongst the best in the country though.

Same goes for Shearer. Pretty much every red card Mitro got when he played for us was for doing the exact same shit Shearer used to pull every match. Niggly little fouls at defenders and elbows to the face.

12 hours ago, eastynh said:

Tactics have changed, formations have changed.

again, all free, and equally available to all teams.

Tactics always change.

Before you were born was "total football". Much better than today's City.

It was pretty much 4-4-2 during the 90's.

except when it wasn't. :rolleyes: 

eg: some of England's games in the 1990 WC

Either lump it long and play off the big man 

you've spent too much time watching 90s City and thinking that's how it all was.

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Barca were there for the taking too. But 0 shots on target. 

I dunno about "there for the taking", but they were definitely trying to gift you a goal.

But hey, one thing last night did sort out, and that's how to stop messi. Forget trying to kick him off the park, just give him a bop on the nose.

(not entirely sure there shouldn't have been a red for that, particularly considering some of the yellows :P )

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

again, all free, and equally available to all teams.

Tactics always change.

Before you were born was "total football". Much better than today's City.

except when it wasn't. :rolleyes: 

eg: some of England's games in the 1990 WC

you've spent too much time watching 90s City and thinking that's how it all was.

Neil how much total football was played in the top division in England? Thats what we are discussing here, not the Dutch 1970 team. 

Teams set up predominantly 4-4-2 in Englands top division during the 90's. I went pretty much every week to Maine Rd, watching the start of the Premier League. The standard fare was 4-4-2. The main difference between the teams would be whether they played with flying wingers (Giggs, Kanchelskis) or deeper wide players such as Beckham. Yet the basic formations were pretty much the same. 

I did watch an awful lot of City but don't forget, for most of the decade we were in the Premier League. You will find variations or teams who played different formations occasionally, but 4-4-2 was the stock formation in England with the emphasis on getting stuck in and getting it forward quickly.

Edited by eastynh

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

Neil how much total football was played in the top division in England? Thats what we are discussing here, not the Dutch 1970 team. 

We didn't have Cruff, so none. And today we don't have Messi or Skippy, so still none.

Meanwhile your idea that there were no tactics and it was only kick and run is laughable.

Teams set up predominantly 4-4-2 in Englands top division during the 90's.

The idea of what is the best formation and what are the best tactics changes all the time, all thru the ages.

Meanwhile the whole of the world has played predominantly 442 since the dawn of time. Even today in the Prem it's the starting point for *every* team.

I went pretty much every week to Maine Rd, watching the start of the Premier League. The standard fare was 4-4-2.

And today? the standard fare is still 442. 

The main difference between the teams would be whether they played with flying wingers (Giggs, Kanchelskis) or deeper wide players such as Beckham. Yet the basic formations were pretty much the same. 

And today? Flying fullbacks yet the basic formation is still the same.

And next year another thing will be in fashion till it all goes round again.

There's fuck all new about a formation which isn't 442. As I pointed out, England were doing it in the 1990 WC. England also did it in the early 80s under Greenwood. 

You will find variations or teams who played different formations occasionally, but 4-4-2 was the stock formation in England 

And it still is. In England; In Europe; In South America.

As a Man Utd fan (who isn't a twat btw), it feels like we are dragging ourselves over the finish line. Ole clearly has a vision in which he wants to play and some of the players definitely don't fit this molde (see what i did there?). Also there's a handful of players that clearly are ready to move on with regards to contracts. This summer could/should be massive in the transfer market. RW would give us so much balance that we require. Ashley Young can't cross a ball anymore.

The hate is gathering again, but as a fan I'm happy with the direction the club is going in. 

4 minutes ago, santowhir said:

Also there's a handful of players that clearly are ready to move on with regards to contracts. This summer could/should be massive in the transfer market.

Board need to improve on their recent transfer dealings that's for sure.

2 hours ago, santowhir said:

As a Man Utd fan (who isn't a twat btw), it feels like we are dragging ourselves over the finish line. Ole clearly has a vision in which he wants to play and some of the players definitely don't fit this molde (see what i did there?). Also there's a handful of players that clearly are ready to move on with regards to contracts. This summer could/should be massive in the transfer market. RW would give us so much balance that we require. Ashley Young can't cross a ball anymore.

The hate is gathering again, but as a fan I'm happy with the direction the club is going in. 

Your club has made a terrible decision mate. Soz.

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

Board need to improve on their recent transfer dealings that's for sure.

Absolutely. There's been talk of a director of football for some time now as Edtwatwood is far to close to the Glazor's to make any judgement based on any football decisions he may/may not have.

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

He managed Cardiff and had a shocker and has done ok with a pub team in Norway. Thats it.

As nice as he is and as much of a club legend as he is, in no way does this qualify him to manage the biggest sports club in the world. 

He could be the perfect man to rebuild at the team and have only struggled recently due to some very tough opposition. He could also just have got a new manager boost from the team playing well and being happy. The fact that he was given a contract well so early just again shows that the people running the club don't really have any long-term plan, though I suppose he'll be cheaper to sack than Mourinho.

As a Liverpool fan I'm glad he got the job, would've been worried if they'd managed to tempt Poch away from Spurs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

He managed Cardiff and had a shocker and has done ok with a pub team in Norway. Thats it.

As nice as he is and as much of a club legend as he is, in no way does this qualify him to manage the biggest sports club in the world. 

Ah yes the Cardiff quote.

It's not it though is it? He's the first manager since sir alex that's understands the philosophy of the club, you wouldn't think it would be that difficult to find but he fits the bill pretty well and you cannot underestimate the importance that will bring. The appointment automatically means that club legends / fans / pundits / current players all give him a little bit more patients and that was certainly the case in the honey moon period. He needs to get backed in the summer so he can cement his ideas and hopefully the club will be in less conflict. BTW I do think he is tactically naive there is no doubt about it, but it's nowhere near as bad as people are making out. Fergie admits himself that tactically he wasn't great, the man was a motivator and he set up his team around that.

9 minutes ago, santowhir said:

Ah yes the Cardiff quote.

It's not it though is it? He's the first manager since sir alex that's understands the philosophy of the club, you wouldn't think it would be that difficult to find but he fits the bill pretty well and you cannot underestimate the importance that will bring. The appointment automatically means that club legends / fans / pundits / current players all give him a little bit more patients and that was certainly the case in the honey moon period. He needs to get backed in the summer so he can cement his ideas and hopefully the club will be in less conflict. BTW I do think he is tactically naive there is no doubt about it, but it's nowhere near as bad as people are making out. Fergie admits himself that tactically he wasn't great, the man was a motivator and he set up his team around that.

By that logic they could appoint Bruce, Ince or Paul Parker. Understanding the philosophy of the club doesn't mean it makes sense. Fergie didn't know the philosophy of the club when he got there. 

Also, John O'Shea played 250 games for Utd, winning 5 leagues and a Champions League. Anyone who can make that happen is tactically great. A tactical genius actually.