Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Yep! Solid display last night and hopefully we can continue that into the summer with the Nation's League (whatever that is), wrap up Euro qualification and take a confident, strong side to the tournament next year.

Scary to think it’s only two and a half years since the Iceland debacle.

Southgate has done a phenomenal job.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Scary to think it’s only two and a half years since the Iceland debacle.

Southgate has done a phenomenal job.

I'm almost more impressed in what he's done since the world cup. Gone from being a solid team riding a wave to the semis, to a dynamic and exciting team who have stepped it up.

Shocking to hear about the abuse last night though, got a huge amout of respect for the players who have dealt with it and are being really vocal in condemning it.

34 minutes ago, Dan R said:

I'm almost more impressed in what he's done since the world cup. Gone from being a solid team riding a wave to the semis, to a dynamic and exciting team who have stepped it up.

Shocking to hear about the abuse last night though, got a huge amout of respect for the players who have dealt with it and are being really vocal in condemning it.

Yeah he's really kept the ball rolling and not stood still. I like his vibe too and I think he presents himself well, last night for instance. 

On 3/26/2019 at 6:40 AM, LJS said:

Who would you replace him with, comfy? 

Good question. Who would want it. Steve Clarke to answer your question but it runs deeper than that for me. The vast majority of the chants around us were against the SFA not McLeish. As I said originally, I felt a bit sorry for him.

I realise he’s stuck between a rock and a hard place but like most countries, our “big “ clubs seem to hold too much power. Is he agreeing to use players sparingly as their are big club games at the weekend? We’re just not good enough for that.

Although Berti Vogts was a bit of a disaster I don’t think that should stop us looking further afield for someone away from the norm.

I think we will mess up this group without change and will end up relying on our play off route via the nations league. Hope I’m wrong obviously ?

I'm slightly confused with the Sterling story in Montenegro.

The reports on the radio & TV I've seen have said Sterling was bait/calling-out the racists with his goal celebration (and fair enough if he was).

But i saw a snippet of an interview with him where he said he didn't hear anything of it and only knew cos Danny Rose said - and the way it was said made it sound like that was after the match.

Can anyone put me straight on what exactly happened?

On 3/26/2019 at 7:04 AM, pink_triangle said:

Do you think anyone will do significantly better with the same players? I suppose looking at Northern Ireland it's possible.

Yes I do mate. O’Neil is a great example. The sfa spent months trying to get him and by all accounts very nearly did. They then rushed into the McLeish appointment when O’Neill eventually said no. 

Worth adding that a new guy would probably / Hopefully have not lined up the way we did in our last 2 games so I’m seeing different players in the starting 11. I’m not suggesting we have superstars being left out to be clear but there are Scottish footballers who play left back week in week out for example.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Moyes has just said he does.

He's caveated that with "but I have unfinished Prem business", but of course he's going to say that, he's not going to say that "I'll do Scotland because no one thinks I'm good enough for the Prem".

Yeah he’s an interesting one. Doesn’t excite me personally but if he was the only option today to replace McLeish then I’d take it.

Id rather look elsewhere though. If.....Moyes made a decent job of it then he’d be off like a shot I sense at the first half decent offer.

Id happily now do something more radical than Moyes and accept the nations league fall back. Rebuild top to bottom for the next year and a bit. Feels like we’re at rock bottom anyway.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I'm slightly confused with the Sterling story in Montenegro.

The reports on the radio & TV I've seen have said Sterling was bait/calling-out the racists with his goal celebration (and fair enough if he was).

But i saw a snippet of an interview with him where he said he didn't hear anything of it and only knew cos Danny Rose said - and the way it was said made it sound like that was after the match.

Can anyone put me straight on what exactly happened?

BBC says otherwise, that he said he was doing it cos of the racist chanting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/47703776

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Hmmm. Barca x 2, Chelsea and City all in the next month. May not be the right decision if Utd get spanked.

But this announcement may be the extra bit of push the players need for those games. 

on the basis that "beating PSG gets Oli the job" and Utd played shit (tho won all the same) I reckon you're hoping a bit too much.

37 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

on the basis that "beating PSG gets Oli the job" and Utd played shit (tho won all the same) I reckon you're hoping a bit too much.

Im not thinking Utd can beat Barca or City, just not get stuffed. 

Still on the fence about it. Very possible that Utd get properly dumped out of the CL and miss top 4 in the next month. 

5 minutes ago, LJS said:

Why tennis balls?

Euro 2020 qualifiers: Football Association of Ireland charged over tennis ball protest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47732952

Apparently Dortmund fans did it in protest against ticket prices saying only tennis fans could afford the tickets. And they're easy to smuggle into the stadium.