Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

Just now, eFestivals said:

Looking at things today, Utd's treble is less of an achievement than it looked at the time. It was a marker for the start of changed times.

As united are the only English team to achieve the treble, I would say that achievement has lasted the test in time. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

just that your club is shit too. :P 

Don't be talking about shit please today mate, two days stuck on loo ?

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm pointing out that 30+ years ago it was more competitive.

Looking at things today, Utd's treble is less of an achievement than it looked at the time. It was a marker for the start of changed times.

I don't remember it being more competitive. When I was a youngster it was generally Liverpool and Everton who were well ahead of the rest. Then Liverpool and Arsenal as the 80's ticked on. Then the premier league and it was United and one other.

14 minutes ago, thetime said:

As united are the only English team to achieve the treble, I would say that achievement has lasted the test in time. 

but as you've just noted, no one is really surprised at the thought of City equalling it or doing better this year.

There's a fixed dominance at the top in a way there didn't used to be, and the responses to what a team might achieve are different because of that.

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm pointing out that 30+ years ago it was more competitive.

Man utds treble was 20 years not 30. I would say 30 years ago there were more teams capable of finishing top 4 (not that it meant anything) but no more teams capable of winning the league.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Man utds treble was 20 years not 30.

yes, I know. I put a 10 year gap to separate 'old times' from 'new times'.

I would say 30 years ago there were more teams capable of finishing top 4 

that sort of thing is precisely what I'm saying. :) 

Cos there were more teams competing* it was harder for one team to win more than one trophy.

(* less of a difference between the teams)

Edited by eFestivals

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yup, but even the Leicester fans can't work out how that happened. It came out of nowhere, like it never has in the last 30+ years.

Over the course of a whole season they collected more points than everyone else ?

Then soiled it ( for me anyway )by sacking the fella ?

Edited by Comfy Bean

33 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Over the course of a whole season they collected more points than everyone else ?

I wouldn't deny they deserved to win it, but don't think you could use it as evidence that the league is particularly open. To me thats using the exception to prove the rule.

50 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I wouldn't deny they deserved to win it, but don't think you could use it as evidence that the league is particularly open. To me thats using the exception to prove the rule.

Blackburn ? 

Man City didn’t win it for a while during the period of decades being talked about earlier and if Liverpool do it this year that will be the first in a long time.

Not forgetting Chelsea.

Scotland probably a better example of a stale competition.

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

When you look at Ranieri’s career pre and post Leicester that title win makes even less sense. He’s been utter bobbins everywhere he’s been and yet has somehow blagged his way back into Roma.

3 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Blackburn ? 

Man City didn’t win it for a while during the period of decades being talked about earlier and if Liverpool do it this year that will be the first in a long time.

Not forgetting Chelsea.

Scotland probably a better example of a stale competition.

I would consider Blackburn and Leicester very different. Blackburn spent big and competed for the league title.

Leicester I feel was a fairly random event where a load of player had the season of their life, the top teams all underperformed and they got the rub of the green when it mattered. Its not saying they didn't deserve it, but I think it's unlikely those circumstances are repeated.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

When you look at Ranieri’s career pre and post Leicester that title win makes even less sense. He’s been utter bobbins everywhere he’s been and yet has somehow blagged his way back into Roma.

I disagree, the stats just don't back that up. I would say he has had a mixed career (like most managers) but there were certainly successes pre Leicester.

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I disagree, the stats just don't back that up. I would say he has had a mixed career (like most managers) but there were certainly successes pre Leicester.

Quite. Monaco, first stint at Napoli, Chelsea, first stint at Valencia. He must have done decently in his last stint at Roma if they want him back...

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I was thinking immediately before Leicester, getting sacked at Inter, Greece, etc. Then he’s been rubbish everywhere since Leicester.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I was thinking immediately before Leicester, getting sacked at Inter, Greece, etc. Then he’s been rubbish everywhere since Leicester.

He did alright at Nantes, they scored more, conceded less and got more points then the season before he arrived. And he steadied Fulham a bit but they were such a shambles that they mustve had no hope.

He's a solid manager is isn't likely to revolutionise a team but people seem to want miracles from him.