Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

14 hours ago, djdavejohnson said:

Absolute class tonight. Juve as a team performance also brilliant. 

Ronaldo was phenomenal last night and Juve massively deserved the scoreline, Atletico were awful. That definitely shouldn't have been a penalty though, especially considering VAR would've shown he tripped on his own leg. 

2 hours ago, Dan R said:

Ronaldo was phenomenal last night and Juve massively deserved the scoreline, Atletico were awful. That definitely shouldn't have been a penalty though, especially considering VAR would've shown he tripped on his own leg. 

I was really surprised by just how poor Atletico were, but I think it was mostly down to how relentless pressing and attacking of Juve.

I'm still getting my head around how VAR actually works in practice, is it not that the VAR team alert the ref if there has been a 'clear and obvious error'? If that is the case, then I guess the VAR team deemed the refs decision to award the penalty to not fall into that category?

7 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

I was really surprised by just how poor Atletico were, but I think it was mostly down to how relentless pressing and attacking of Juve.

I'm still getting my head around how VAR actually works in practice, is it not that the VAR team alert the ref if there has been a 'clear and obvious error'? If that is the case, then I guess the VAR team deemed the refs decision to award the penalty to not fall into that category?

Insane defensive solidity under pressure has been the defining feature of Atletico under Simione, didn't see any of that last night.

I thought the 'clear and obvious error' thing seems to have been ignored and ref's are just using it whenever they're not 100%, and contact always looks worse in slow-motion.

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

Insane defensive solidity under pressure has been the defining feature of Atletico under Simione, didn't see any of that last night.

I thought the 'clear and obvious error' thing seems to have been ignored and ref's are just using it whenever they're not 100%, and contact always looks worse in slow-motion.

Atletico sat deep like they usually do, the problem is against a team that deploy speedy wingbacks effectively their narrowness invites crosses, and when the opposing team has Ronaldo to aim for they were always gonna struggle against that!

See I thought if the ref was unsure on how to make a decision one way or the other, that's when they consulted the pitchside monitor themselves for clarity. The clear and obvious rule I thought applied only to the VAR team. Agreed in either case slow-mo can often makes things look worse! 

On 3/11/2019 at 11:40 AM, Hugh Jass said:

It did, I remember Liverpool throwing a massive tantrum because they finished 6th or something the year they won and weren’t going to be allowed back in.

Didn’t really happen that way. The FA basically played poker and got an extra spot. 

General protocol/expectancy was 4th would miss out. Spanish Fed/La Liga did it when Real had won it in 2000. The Prem had said that would be the case when it looked possible between Arsenal/Chelsea we’re going for it in 03/04.

However the FA basically called UEFAs bluff the next year, said Everton would get it and UEFA shat it that the holders wouldn’t get in (as was their full expectation) so gave England 5 places. They then changed the rules to make sure FAs couldn’t do that again and clarify the holders would always automatically qualify. 

Edited by strummer77

8 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I'd still rather be a fan of German football.  Cheap, standing, beer in hand, cracking atmosphere. English teams may be performing better but where's the fun in that? 

I sampled German football earlier this season - Hertha Berlin v Borussia Mönchengladbach. One of the best games I've ever been too for all the reasons you've mentioned, plus ended up being 4-2. Also, fantastic stadium! 

6 minutes ago, eastynh said:

United V Liverpool in the next round please.

Spurs v United and Ajax v Porto in the same half of draw would be nice. 

Let Juventus, Barca and City fight it out in the other half.

Edited by thetime