Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

In fairness I’m quite happy that the manager of the champions doesn’t win manager of the season as they normally have the budget to match. I would also like to see the English teams draw each other to get rid of one or two.

Pellegrini won the league and Carling cup. Tony Pulis won it for Stoke finishing mid table. No way on earth was Tony Pulis a better manager than Manual Pellegrini that season. Not a chance.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I think the exact opposite, the more countries represented the better in my view.

That's fair enough, however for me English teams generally haven't competed well in Europe in recent times, so it would be good to see a strong year acting as a catalyst for English clubs for the next few seasons. Not full on domination of course, just being there or there abouts. Arsenal will hopefully be included in that, too! Forever an optimist. Shrug. 

Just now, eastynh said:

Pellegrini won the league and Carling cup. Tony Pulis won it for Stoke finishing mid table. No way on earth was Tony Pulis a better manager than Manual Pellegrini that season. Not a chance.

Most leagues are won by the teams with the first or second budget, of course you could argue that by having the most money they get the best managers. However I would argue money is a much bigger factor than managerial (however you measure) ability. Tony Pullis didn’t manage a team with the budget to win the league and league cup.

3 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

That's fair enough, however for me English teams generally haven't competed well in Europe in recent times, so it would be good to see a strong year acting as a catalyst for English clubs for the next few seasons. Not full on domination of course, just being there or there abouts. Arsenal will hopefully be included in that, too! Forever an optimist. Shrug. 

I still have bad memories of that Chelsea v Man Utd stinker of a final! I see the English clubs play each other every few weeks, would prefer some different matchups.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Most leagues are won by the teams with the first or second budget, of course you could argue that by having the most money they get the best managers. However I would argue money is a much bigger factor than managerial (however you measure) ability. Tony Pullis didn’t manage a team with the budget to win the league and league cup.

Well put it this way. Only 3 times in the last 20 years has the manager of the team winning the league not won manager of the year. Two of them occasions were when City won it. Pullis spent millions. Don't think he was a pauper. He also dished up dull, dire and boring football.

Edited by eastynh

5 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Well put it this way. Only 3 times in the last 20 years has the manager of the team winning the league not won manager of the year. Two of them occasions were when City won it. Pullis spent millions. Don't think he was a pauper. He also dished up dull, dire and boring football.

"InfamyInfamyThey've all got it in for me!"

not entirely accurate, it’s 4. 

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I still have bad memories of that Chelsea v Man Utd stinker of a final! I see the English clubs play each other every few weeks, would prefer some different matchups.

Haha oh yes absolutely, that was a terrible game. Same for me, I'd like them to avoid each other in the QF's but see them do well to progress, if at least two make it then they could avoid each other in the semis. If three make it then two have to play each other! 

Just caught up with the shenanigans at the Brum derby today. What an absolute disgrace. What comes into peoples heads? At what point did the fella think losing his job, going to prison, embarrassing his family and bringing shame on his club was a good ide?. As for the piece of utter scum who put the picture of Grielish' young brothers gravestone on twitter with the disgusting comment, I hope he gets hammered. I am not a violent man but an act like that deserves a good hiding

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, eastynh said:

Just caught up with the shenanigans at the Brum derby today. What an absolute disgrace. What comes into peoples heads? At what point did the fella think losing his job, going to prison, embarrassing his family and bringing shame on his club was a good ide?. As for the piece of utter scum who put the picture of Grielish' young brothers gravestone on twitter with the disgusting comment, I hope he gets hammered. I am not a violent man but an act like that deserves a good hiding

Someone did that?!

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

What would happen in the following scenario?

Top four: City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal

Champs League: United

Europa: Chelsea

Would there be six English teams in the CL next season? Or would the poor sod in fourth get shafted?

5 is the limit so fourth gets shafted, will make thing very interesting if it's all still tight come May.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

What would happen in the following scenario?

Top four: City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal

Champs League: United

Europa: Chelsea

Would there be six English teams in the CL next season? Or would the poor sod in fourth get shafted?

Yeah fourth doesn't get the CL place.

Happened to Spurs didn't it? 2012? 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

It did, I remember Liverpool throwing a massive tantrum because they finished 6th or something the year they won and weren’t going to be allowed back in.

Holders not being in the tournament is pish.