Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Not denying they can look great at times like tonight. I just don't see them coming out of this season with a trophy, and can also see late-failures in other competitions hitting their league form and giving them a last minute drop to 5th.

Spurs? You think spurs are going to end up 5th???

Come on.

They thrashed an elite team without two of their best players. Let them enjoy it without 'WHERE ARE THE TROPHIES'....

Anyone can see poch and spurs are massively over achieving 

Edited by zahidf

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Chances are they won’t get anywhere near a trophy, they’re having a good journey though. ;)

As an arsenal fan the whole lack of a trophy thing with spurs is just a last resort dig at them because that's all arsenal fans have left. It's actually embarrassing to me. 

My spurs mates have loved every minute of the last few years, trophy or not.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Are you expecting Chelsea or Arsenal to go on a run? Don’t see either happening especially as they will take the Europa seriously. 

Chances are they won’t get anywhere near a trophy, they’re having a good journey though. ;)

I'm sure Spurs fans are having a great time of it. Fair play to them.

I just think they're a team that struggled at the business end of the season, in April and May.

9 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I wouldnt. Why take the risk, 44 million cant get you anything these days.

Might not get you a ready made superstar (although you already have that in Dybala), but Klopp rarely buys ready made superstars (Allisson and Keita recent exceptions). It would get you the sort of player who could be moulded into one though.

Depends whether you want to stick with Mane - Firmino - Salah or go with Mane - Dybala - Firmino and have someone like Leon Bailey (just an example plucked from thin air) in reserve...

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Might not get you a ready made superstar (although you already have that in Dybala), but Klopp rarely buys ready made superstars (Allisson and Keita recent exceptions).

Alisson had played one season in European football and Keita definitely wasn't / still isn't a ready made superstar. But I suppose that backs up what you're saying about Klopp.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

This is almost certainly bollocks, but in principal - £44m plus Dybala for Salah?

I'd take it.

https://www.football365.com/news/juventus-ready-to-offer-43-9m-plus-dybala-for-liverpools-salah

Dybala will end up at a club at a higher level than Liverpool, most likely Madrid or Barcelona. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Might not get you a ready made superstar (although you already have that in Dybala), but Klopp rarely buys ready made superstars (Allisson and Keita recent exceptions). It would get you the sort of player who could be moulded into one though.

Depends whether you want to stick with Mane - Firmino - Salah or go with Mane - Dybala - Firmino and have someone like Leon Bailey (just an example plucked from thin air) in reserve...

Salah and Dybala aren't like-for-like players though, so the system would need to change completely. Dybala and Firmino are fairly similar and neither are at their best out wide. Would be a massive gamble and wouldn't be entirely clear what the benefits would be, unless Salah desperately wanted to leave.

16 hours ago, zahidf said:

Spurs? You think spurs are going to end up 5th???

Come on.

They thrashed an elite team without two of their best players. Let them enjoy it without 'WHERE ARE THE TROPHIES'....

Anyone can see poch and spurs are massively over achieving 

Spurs took their chances last night and fair play to them as they usually fluff their lines.

Not sure I would call Dortmund an elite team as I would fancy City, Liverpool, United and Spurs to beat them quite easily over 2 legs. 

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Dwight Gayle's been given a two match ban for diving, no complaints on that score - it was pretty shameful even if it did win us a valuable point...

My only hope is that the authorities show similar metal next time someone takes a tumble at Anfield or Old Trafford...

No chance is that happening mate. If Salah or Young dive it will be Sterling that gets the blame for it.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Salah will go to Barca I reckon.

Apparently as part of the Coutinho deal, Barca agreed to an additional €100m fee if they want to sign any more Liverpool players the near future so don't think that's on the cards. Not sure when it expires though.

5 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Apparently as part of the Coutinho deal, Barca agreed to an additional €100m fee if they want to sign any more Liverpool players the near future so don't think that's on the cards. Not sure when it expires though.

Heard about that contractual nuance yep. Still think they can come up with the package.

What do our Irish posters make of Declan Rice's decision to play for England?

Now the lad is English and it is a far better career decision ro play for England rather than ROI. Yet it does not sit right with me that you can play at all youth levels and then senior level for one country, then change your mind and choose to play for another nation.

Yes Rice is English, but the way the rules are, he was able to play for ROI. He made his bed, he should have to lay in it imo.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

What do our Irish posters make of Declan Rice's decision to play for England?

Now the lad is English and it is a far better career decision ro play for England rather than ROI. Yet it does not sit right with me that you can play at all youth levels and then senior level for one country, then change your mind and choose to play for another nation.

Yes Rice is English, but the way the rules are, he was able to play for ROI. He made his bed, he should have to lay in it imo.

He was only 16 though. Easy to be lured and make a mistake at that age. I've no issue with his choice.