Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

18 minutes ago, thetime said:

I don’t live in Manchester now, I moved for the love of a woman. :wub:

Although that’s a piss poor angle you’re coming from, I work with more city fans now than I ever did in Manchester. 

Fair play if you managed to escape. Manchester is not the nicest area.

Where do you work? Stockport? Manchester is pretty much equally split when it comes to football so find it kind of difficult to believe you work with more blues outside Manchester than you did inside. Saying that I am just going off my experience. For all I know you could be a high flying analyst or banker. Not many City fans nor United fans from inner City Manchester get those kind of jobs.

As for the bullshit comment you slung my way. Just think about it. I know one Liverpool fan in NH. This is a big red area but there are enough blues here to give it out so to speak. If City win the league or after we beat you again in the Derby, it will not be Liverpool fans they are taking shit off in  the pub. If Liverpool win the league they will not be taking shit off Scousers in the pub for weeks after. 

Yes there is a rivalry between United and Liverpool but it is by far worse outside Manchester than it is in it. 

I have seen Irish United fans and Liverpool fans proper giving it each other. Fair play, it was nice to see them passionate. It did leave me scratching my head though.

Edited by eastynh

19 minutes ago, thetime said:

I don’t live in Manchester now, I moved for the love of a woman. :wub:

Although that’s a piss poor angle you’re coming from, I work with more city fans now than I ever did in Manchester. 

Now see the picture I have posted. When this was being proudly displayed in your ground, City were totally irrelevant from a footballing perspective. Yet you still had a banner up about us. I don't remember any permanent  banners at the Swamp regarding the Scousers. 

C_71_article_1420898_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

I work in Bootle, equal Liverpool and Everton fans, a small splattering of Utd fans and one City fan who sits opposite me.

All in all it's a weird dynamic, same across the city too.

Everton fans are obsessed with Liverpool, they seem to enjoy a Liverpool defeat more than their own team winning.

Liverpool fans see their main rivals as Utd. Everton are so far behind us, they are of very little concern apart from the derby. General feeling is beating Utd is better, losing to Everton is worse.

City are just the new Chelsea. An irrelevance. Their financially doped team will probably  dominate for years but they're still just a small club with a few quid.

41 minutes ago, thetime said:

He’s a Chelsea fan :D 

?

6 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I work in Bootle, equal Liverpool and Everton fans, a small splattering of Utd fans and one City fan who sits opposite me.

All in all it's a weird dynamic, same across the city too.

Everton fans are obsessed with Liverpool, they seem to enjoy a Liverpool defeat more than their own team winning.

Liverpool fans see their main rivals as Utd. Everton are so far behind us, they are of very little concern apart from the derby. General feeling is beating Utd is better, losing to Everton is worse.

City are just the new Chelsea. An irrelevance. Their financially doped team will probably  dominate for years but they're still just a small club with a few quid.

Yeah I live and work in Liverpool city centre and all the reds I come across definitely view United as the main rival. Nice review of Chelsea and City though... If you say so!

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I live and work in Liverpool; this is ridiculously true. Some of my closest friends are blues and they would rather Everton were relegated than Liverpool win the league. They've stated that to me in recent weeks! 

In terms of United and City - I have a genuine dislike for Utd (not necessarily their fans), and I don't real feel anything for City. I liked them when they were turned round as their fans had been through years of crap - I didn't like how certain sections of their support then 'turned'. You get that element at all clubs though.

Edited by vintagelaureate

51 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I live and work in Liverpool; this is ridiculously true. Some of my closest friends are blues and they would rather Everton were relegated than Liverpool win the league. They've stated that to me in recent weeks! 

I'd say you need new friends, thats the most bizarre statement I've ever heard regarding football and they don't sound like Everton fans at all knowing it would put the new stadium at risk. I'd rather Liverpool did the quadruple 5 years on the trot than that happen.

Some of us can actually remember Liverpool winning the league and its not so bad. I think they will this year but I don't want them to mainly because its funny that a club of that size and with such resources haven't won it so long.

Also reading sites like RAWK and listening to local radio there are as many Liverpool fans as obsessed with what Everton are upto strangely. The objections to planning for the new stadium were flying in right , left and centre.

Edited by lost

28 minutes ago, lost said:

I'd say you need new friends, thats the most bizarre statement I've ever heard regarding football and they don't sound like Everton fans at all knowing it would put the new stadium at risk. I'd rather Liverpool did the quadruple 5 years on the trot than that happen.

Some of us can actually remember Liverpool winning the league and its not so bad. I think they will this year but I don't want them to mainly because its funny that a club of that size and with such resources haven't won it so long.

Also reading sites like RAWK and listening to local radio there are as many Liverpool fans as obsessed with what Everton are upto strangely. The objections to planning for the new stadium were flying in right , left and centre.

The stadium issue stems down to council money, an idiot mayor and general misunderstandings.

Yeah, the relegation statement baffles me. I would geniunely want Everton to do well (but behind us), for the good of the city. 

We were all born in the 80s so can remember Liverpool winning the league... just! I do think there is a growing 'bitterness' between blues and reds in the city but it gets worse the younger the fan goes (imo), it gets a little nasitier each generation. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Oh I dunno, my fave time as a utd fan was the big Ron era. 

Before my time but that seems a little odd considering what the next manager did. 

Why is your favourite time? FA Cup wins? Couple of nearly runs for the league? He signed a few great players didn't he?

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Before my time but that seems a little odd considering what the next manager did. 

Why is your favourite time? FA Cup wins? Couple of nearly runs for the league? He signed a few great players didn't he?

I was a young lad going regularly to old Trafford, some great times.

Greatest old Trafford night for me was utd v Barca in the mid 80s, robbo having naradonba in his back pocket. 

Standing terraces, football is a different world now. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Success doesn't determine how great a time is as a fan. It's the experience. Excitement, hope, unpredictability, and most of all, going to games and feeling the atmosphere. 

Given the forum, presumably everyone here is a live music fan. In the same way armchair footie watching is a fraction of the feel of going to a game. 

• Upvote 1