Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

17 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Higuain to Chelsea it seems. Huge signing for them. 

Yep. Blind hope rather than expectation from the fans point of view on this one. Here's to hoping he signs in time to knock Spurs out of the cup next week. Shame it hasn't worked out for Morata. When we signed him I thought I had high hopes but he definitely did not take well to the Prem.

6 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Yep. Blind hope rather than expectation from the fans point of view on this one. Here's to hoping he signs in time to knock Spurs out of the cup next week. Shame it hasn't worked out for Morata. When we signed him I thought I had high hopes but he definitely did not take well to the Prem.

Thought Morata was going to be great too yeah. Higuain is bona fide though.  

19 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Thought Morata was going to be great too yeah. Higuain is bona fide though.  

I was terrified of Morata being lethal when he joined but thankfully not. Lower expectations for Higuain but could be a top signing if he settles well.

Just found my rather optimistic comments RE Morata prior to signing him... Oh hindsight.

22 minutes ago, Dan R said:

I was terrified of Morata being lethal when he joined but thankfully not. Lower expectations for Higuain but could be a top signing if he settles well.

Word is we want him register by midday tomorrow so he can face Arsenal at the weekend. With Gunners and Spurs in our next two matches, he has the chance to become an immediate crowd favourite anyway.

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Just found my rather optimistic comments RE Morata prior to signing him... Oh hindsight.

Yup!

On 8/13/2017 at 10:27 AM, The Nal said:

Morata looks the real deal yeah. Still gutted he didn't go to Utd. 

Oh and just saw this re Coutinho leaving

On 8/11/2017 at 3:54 PM, Wooderson said:

I don't blame Phil. LFC are a basket case. 

Edited by The Nal

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Very doubtful. Has scored every season when hes played a bit in Spain and Italy and has a decent record with Argentina. 

Shevchenko scored goals wherever he went...

He probably will be good, but it's never a foregone conclusion... unless you're a Championship club signing Dwight Gayle...

Edited by Hugh Jass

40 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Other than Drogba and Costa (when he wasn't falling out with people) Chelsea don't exactly have a great recent history with strikers, do they?

Nope. We've always looked for quick fixes. Bringing the likes of Eto'o in and Drogba back when they were past their peak. Signings like Demba Ba. Lukaku had scored goals for fun with you and at Everton yet we still preferred the above options. Gotta take the good with the bad though, I suppose. 

14 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

What clubs do have a good record for signing strikers? Everyone has a bunch of duffs on their record, even if they then went and succeeded afterwards. 

I'd say Liverpool have a pretty decent record, tho with turkeys like Carroll and Benteke.

Utd are mostly good too. City aren't doing too badly either, although bottomless pockets helps.

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say Liverpool have a pretty decent record, tho with turkeys like Carroll and Benteke.

Utd are mostly good too. City aren't doing too badly either, although bottomless pockets helps.

Liverpool have some absolutely duds in recent years, with the likes of Balotelli, Borini, Lambert, Aspas (who has turned out decent now tbf). City have done ok but have had Aguero as their main striker for so long that they have only ever needed a back-up.

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think Liverpool are one of the worst. Firminho and suarez were great (salah of you count him as a striker), but they've had so many failures over the last 10 years. Man u have made 3 obvious hits in RVP, lukaku and ibra, but a bunch of duds as well. They might be the best though.