Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

8 hours ago, mjsell said:

As a very basic example of evidence (due to the nature of the spanking city just handed out) take a look at all of the 'biggest win' records in English football. Not one of them has been beaten since the 80s. 

I dont think biggest win is a good way to look at things overall. The fact that Man City beat Burton 9-0 is pretty irrelevant, it's no different from them winning 5-0 in terms of the game being over. Isolated thrashings have always happened 

15 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I am at the point now when I cant be bothered watching Man City against mid table and lower premiership sides because I find it boring. I would much prefer to watch the Friday championship game.

Last 4 games against mid-low premier League teams:

Southampton 1-3 City

Leicester 2-1 City

City 2-3 Palace

City 3-1 Everton

Not boring at all imo the palace game is the best game I've watched in a good while (slight baised there...) and the wolves game can't be counted out now already.

Edited by Chaarlie

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

We played man utd a few years later and had a fighting chance. My views are from years of watching league 1- conference football. The rate of improvement of premiership sides far exceeds what is happening at this level.

3rd division Bradford beat Chelsea (at Stamford Bridge) who were top of the league at the time a couple of seasons ago. 

Newport & Oldham just beat top flight opposition, not much has changed. 

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't see how  you control these factors in terms of research, thats why I do think instinct is important. Others have said (and I agreed) that in recent years mid table premiership sides would have been relegated in previous years. I don't think this is a view from research.

I think it's wrong to suggest that because there is a greater divide between 1st and 15th,and that 15th now is worse than 10 years ago, that's this proves the gap between 15th and 50th is greater.

I agree it can't be entirely judged off research and stats, but I believe the gap down to league 1 is smaller than it was. The proportion of promoted teams to the premiership getting instantly relegated has fallen (based on 1st,2nd, and 3rd decades since it was called 1st division). I realise lots of these teams go down in their 2nd or 3rd year but there's also less bouncing straight back. 

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

How good is Decco Rice? Can you compare him to a recent Hammer

Not as good as Thor's, but better than Homes Under The.

He looks a very good prospect. Reminds me of Barry with a bit more pace. Good positioning and awareness, with neat any tidy distribution. Maybe a touch of the Carrick's about him, which again is a good thing. I was happy to see City linked with him recently as DM is our achilles heel. I have always liked West Ham though and would be a bit sad seeing us go for their top young prospect. He would also cost a fortune after signing a new deal recently.

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Since when do City fans care about money or other clubs Easty?

Depends what club it is. 

How I feel about the money would take far too long to explain by a post on here. Maybe at a festival over a beer one day. Do I think the advantage City have is fair? I would happily have every club only be able to spend the same amount on transfers and wages. Make it totally even in that respect. That would probably be the general consensus amongst most City fans. We know we got lucky with our investment and we would not begrudge any other club benefitting in the manner we have. As we stand you will not hear a City fan say we deserve to be in the position we are. The vast majority of us remember the bad times, we have not become entitled just yet. 

City did not make the rules up for the game. The gravy train was sewn up long ago by United, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool. Any team that wanted to compete had no choice but to invest heavily. It is fair City can spend more than others? Well someone is always going to be able to spend the most. Why is any other fan more deserving than another?

Edited by eastynh