Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

28 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Happens all the time in international football. The likes of San Marino have at least 7 stuck past them by the bigger nations on a regular basis and nobody bats an eyelid. If anything the argument is usually that the minnows should have to qualify just for the right to step on the pitch with the big boys. 

I'm fine with the principle of the tiny European countries qualifying for qualifiers, but... They're mostly part time footballers and the European minnows aren't exactly close to each other. Adding in more expensive travelling for the players for such countries seems cruel when the England, German, Italian, etc. Fa's can just throw money at whatever they choose. 

Qualification in domestic tournaments is usually through league position, which locally is generally done by region. I can't see how you can fairly put San Marino and Kazakhstan in a pre-qualifying group where they're not allowed to play the big boys. 

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

Fans moan about the FA Cup losing its prestige, lower crowds in comparison to league games. Would help if clubs never took the piss with ticketing prices. 

Under league rules Arsenal away is £30, £64 for the FA Cup game.

fleecing the fans again. 

Proper shit, that. Chuck in train fares etc and the average Joe's of the world haven't got a chance. Sad really.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Happens all the time in international football. The likes of San Marino have at least 7 stuck past them by the bigger nations on a regular basis and nobody bats an eyelid. If anything the argument is usually that the minnows should have to qualify just for the right to step on the pitch with the big boys. 

The thing is Burton aren't a minnow they were one league below Man City last season.  My issue is not about respect or humiliation, I am more concerned that the gap between those at the top and the rest is getting bigger and I think football is worse for it.

I am at the point now when I cant be bothered watching Man City against mid table and lower premiership sides because I find it boring. I would much prefer to watch the Friday championship game.

57 minutes ago, thetime said:

They should though, be fair on ticketing prices at least. In the end of the day, 64 quid for a footie game is obscene. 

Odd given Arsenal have sometimes struggled to sell FA Cup games in the past.  

For the FA Cup:

The away club’s spectators can only be charged more than the home club’s spectators if mutually agreed by both Clubs. 

Are Arsenal charging their own fans £64?

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Odd given Arsenal have sometimes struggled to sell FA Cup games in the past.  

For the FA Cup:

The away club’s spectators can only be charged more than the home club’s spectators if mutually agreed by both Clubs. 

Are Arsenal charging their own fans £64?

Knowing Arsenal, they will probably be charging more than £64 for some tickets

Edit: just checked - A lot more than £64...

Category A games top price of £95.50 for members, 97 for non-member - what a time to be alive.

Edited by mjsell

5 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

My issue is not about respect or humiliation, I am more concerned that the gap between those at the top and the rest is getting bigger and I think football is worse for it.

Do you have any evidence to back up your constant claim of this? Seems like you have just decided this is the case and wont accept evidence to the contrary

12 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Knowing Arsenal, they will probably be charging more than £64 for some tickets

Edit: just checked - A lot more than £64...

Category A games top price of £95.50 for members, 97 for non-member - what a time to be alive.

Tottenham’s new ticket pricing for the new ground when it’s ready (:lol:) is ridiculous in percentage increase from WHL terms. 

Anyway, the £64 is the Cat A equivalent price for the lower wings. So the same price as home fans. 

Nothing on either club’s website to see whether the fixture has been assigned as a Cat A game or not, and no ticket prices currently available. 

11 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Tottenham’s new ticket pricing for the new ground when it’s ready (:lol:) is ridiculous in percentage increase from WHL terms. 

Will still be "the best supporter experience in Europe" though according to my Spurs supporting (idiot) mates - which I assume  they are just regurgitating from one of the clubs statements. 

11 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Nothing on either club’s website to see whether the fixture has been assigned as a Cat A game or not, and no ticket prices currently available. 

Arsenal vs United FA Cup game will 100% be a Cat A game. - the league game against them in March is Cat A

Edited by mjsell

24 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Do you have any evidence to back up your constant claim of this? Seems like you have just decided this is the case and wont accept evidence to the contrary

Is there evidence to the contrary? I havent seen any evidence, but making a judgement from what I see with my own eyes. When I got into football 30 years ago I think league 2 clubs/fans believed they could beat a top English side. I think these days if you draw Man City you are already thinking of keeping the score down. Even in the premiership I have no doubt the gap between top 5 and bottom 10 has vastly increased.

Without research is your instinct that the gap has increased, decreased or about the same?

13 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Arsenal vs United FA Cup game will 100% be a Cat A game.

Yes, you’re probably right.

13 minutes ago, mjsell said:

the league game against them in March is Cat A

Only difference is, they only need sell a few thousand tickets for the league game, they’re trying to sell 50,000 for the FA Cup game. 

Not that I’m applauding them (because it’s simply supply and demand) but their early round CL & EL games are very reasonably priced at £20 for the upper tier and £10 for the lower. At least they have been until very recently. 

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Without research is your instinct that the gap has increased, decreased or about the same?

Without research I wouldnt trust my instincts purely because of the bias that recency would have on them. 

I'm not saying that the gap has or hasn't increased btw, just that just throwing out an 'instinct' as more than the utter guess that it is, is inherently flawed. 

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Is there evidence to the contrary? I havent seen any evidence, but making a judgement from what I see with my own eyes. When I got into football 30 years ago I think league 2 clubs/fans believed they could beat a top English side. I think these days if you draw Man City you are already thinking of keeping the score down. Even in the premiership I have no doubt the gap between top 5 and bottom 10 has vastly increased.

I think your opinion has been moulded by Mickey Thomas. 

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Liverpool beat Fulham 10 - 0 in 1986 in front of a crowd of 13K. Now I was only a kid but no not remember any negativity being chucked Liverpool's way. In fact it was celebrated.

I find it absolutely staggering that City winning 9-0 has madenegative headlines.

In response to the gap getting bigger, I don't agree. City got beat off Wigan in the cup last year and pushed ridiculously hard off Bristol. 

20190110_225132.jpg

10 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Only difference is, they only need sell a few thousand tickets for the league game, they’re trying to sell 50,000 for the FA Cup game. 

Don't quote me on it but I'm pretty sure the game will be one of the 7 home cup games that season ticket holders get as part of their ticket. 

9 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Don't quote me on it but I'm pretty sure the game will be one of the 7 home cup games that season ticket holders get as part of their ticket. 

If that is to be the case, it won’t be a Cat A game. 

Unless they choose to charge you (STHs) extra - which they could do I guess 

Edited by TheGayTent

26 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

If that is to be the case, it won’t be a Cat A game. 

Unless they choose to charge you (STHs) extra - which they could do I guess 

Ah yeah because they have limits on number of Cat A games. But yeah I imagine it'll be an extra charge. Would be a sign of the times if United were relegated to Cat B. 

Edited by mjsell

8 hours ago, mjsell said:

Without research I wouldnt trust my instincts purely because of the bias that recency would have on them. 

I'm not saying that the gap has or hasn't increased btw, just that just throwing out an 'instinct' as more than the utter guess that it is, is inherently flawed. 

I'm not sure how you would use evidence in this case. Say if someone looked at the amount of 4 goal plus games between premiership and non premiership teams. If there was no difference what does this prove? It could suggest the gap hasn't changed. However it could be the gap has increased, but the fact many premiership teams play reserve sides or don't put in as much effort masks this increase.

I don't see how  you control these factors in terms of research, thats why I do think instinct is important. Others have said (and I agreed) that in recent years mid table premiership sides would have been relegated in previous years. I don't think this is a view from research.