Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

12 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Poor Burton.

I like a tonking as much as the next guy, but I think it does show a lack of class. At 4-0 at half time, the tie was dead. Why humiliate a lower league club like that?

I'm rooting for Liverpool to win the league now. And for spurs to win the league cup final with a dodgy penalty call:-)

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I like a tonking as much as the next guy, but I think it does show a lack of class. At 4-0 at half time, the tie was dead. Why humiliate a lower league club like that?

I'm rooting for Liverpool to win the league now. And for spurs to win the league cup final with a dodgy penalty call:-)

WTF, ou want city players not to try and score goals? There players have a duty to there fans, quite right they went and scored as many as they could. 

Edited by thetime

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Are you for real???? ?

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Why does it show a lack of class exactly?

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why does it show a lack of class exactly?

They are two leagues up and several billions of pounds richer.

Teams try not to humiliate their opponents don't they when the divide  is too great ? Even Germany eased of Brazil in THAT world cup semi final.

I'm not saying city shouldn't try to win or that it's true of all games (like, def do it if it's a direct rival). But some tiny club several leagues below you?

Edited by zahidf

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Teams try not to humiliate their opponents don't they when the divide  is too great ? Even Germany eased of Brazil in THAT world cup semi final.

I'm not saying city shouldn't try to win or that it's true of all games (like, def do it if it's a direct rival). But some tiny club several leagues below you?

Have you ever posted anything on here that wasn't lifted from Football365?

18 minutes ago, thetime said:

WTF, ou want city players not to try and score goals? There players have a duty to there fans, quite right they went and scored as many as they could. 

And its a great opportunity for fringe players to put in a performance and try get into the team. 

I remember classless Utd beating Arsenal 8-2. Should've hung their heads in shame after and Fergie banned by the FA.  Same for City. The cheek of Gabriel Jesus scoring 4 last night. What a c**t. 

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

And its a great opportunity for fringe players to put in a performance and try get into the team. 

I remember classless Utd beating Arsenal 8-2. Should've hung their heads in shame after and Fergie banned by the FA.  Same for City. The cheek of Gabriel Jesus scoring 4 last night. What a c**t. 

If you look at the scorers last night, De Bruyne and Walker are just coming back from injury, Jesus has been in poor form and low on confidence, Foden and Zinchenko are young prospects. They rested huge swathes of their first team.

I think they're sending a message myself. They lost a few games in December and their aura of invincibility slipped, beating Liverpool and then absolutely crushing a couple of weaker teams is a pretty good way to start restoring that aura.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Burton were only a league below last season! I don't have much of an issue with what happened, although you are probably correct that in some footballing cultures it may have been percieved as lacking respect.

My main issue is not the thrashing but how the gap between the top and the rest is increasing which in my view makes the game poorer. My greatest moment as a football fan was watching Wrexham beat champions arsenal first team in the cup. It's hard to see that happening today. 

24 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Burton were only a league below last season! I don't have much of an issue with what happened, although you are probably correct that in some footballing cultures it may have been percieved as lacking respect.

My main issue is not the thrashing but how the gap between the top and the rest is increasing which in my view makes the game poorer. My greatest moment as a football fan was watching Wrexham beat champions arsenal first team in the cup. It's hard to see that happening today. 

Not sure how the gap has got bigger considering United beat Ipswich 9-0 in a premier league game in 1995. No one was complaining about disrespect then.

City were totally professional last night and should be applauded. There was no mickey taking and no ole's, it was just a totally professional job.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Not sure how the gap has got bigger considering United beat Ipswich 9-0 in a premier league game in 1995. No one was complaining about disrespect then.

City were totally professional last night and should be applauded. There was no mickey taking and no ole's, it was just a totally professional job.

I didn't say it was disrespectful, I said in some footballing cultures it may be seen as disrespectful. I'm not endorsing that viewpoint as correct.

I wouldn't argue that there have been thrashings in the past, but there's no doubt in my mind that the gap between the best and the rest has increased.

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Agree. West Ham beat Bury in the second leg of the Milk Cup 10-0 in ‘83. There’s plenty of other examples of similar results in the competition. 

Ridiculous discussion. 

Happens all the time in international football. The likes of San Marino have at least 7 stuck past them by the bigger nations on a regular basis and nobody bats an eyelid. If anything the argument is usually that the minnows should have to qualify just for the right to step on the pitch with the big boys.