Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

On 11/15/2018 at 10:46 PM, mjsell said:

Watch the NFL and see how they do reviews. Communication of what is happening by mic-ing the refs up, showing it to the crowd, and only reversing decisions when it is clear and obvious. It's not rocket science and the template for how to do it well is right there already - with a few minor adjustments it'll work fine and enhance the game. Get it wrong and the game will suffer. 

I don't watch (nor understand nfl) but isn't that much more a stop start game than the real football?

I am very worried about how it will impact on handball as everything looks like handball when slowed down. As someone said on the world football phone in it creates a system where a foward is better off smacking it at a players arm then going for goal.

7 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't watch (nor understand nfl) but isn't that much more a stop start game than the real football?

Yes. It is very stop start, but it’s a very different game to “real football”, so comparing flow of the game is pointless. NFL is not designed to have “flow”. The stop start nature of the NFL is down to the fundamental structure of the game and the Downs System and very little/basically nothing to do with VAR. Their implementation of VAR and that of Rubgy’s shows “real football” that is can be done and done well...

11 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Yes. It is very stop start, but it’s a very different game to “real football”, so comparing flow of the game is pointless. NFL is not designed to have “flow”. The stop start nature of the NFL is down to the fundamental structure of the game and the Downs System and very little/basically nothing to do with VAR. Their implementation of VAR and that of Rubgy’s shows “real football” that is can be done and done well...

If what you are saying is that VAR is more suitable for sports with a stop/start nature due to the structure of the sport, we are in agreement.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If what you are saying is that VAR is more suitable for sports with a stop/start nature due to the structure of the sport, we are in agreement.

That’s not what I’m saying. 

I’m saying other sports can get it together and implement VAR in a suitable manner for their sport. “Real football” should be able to get its act together and do it. Rugby is not a start stop game and VAR is not a major issue that takes away from the sport

17 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

That’s not what I’m saying. 

I’m saying other sports can get it together and implement VAR in a suitable manner for their sport. “Real football” should be able to get its act together and do it. Rugby is not a start stop game and VAR is not a major issue that takes away from the sport

I would argue that rugby is a stop/start game in comparison to football. 

Im not convinced football needs to “get it together” it’s still comfortably the most popular sport in the world, largely in my view due to the simplicity, the flow and the history of the game. I think VAR impacts on the flow of the game which makes it worse, I think it makes it easier to get handballs which makes it worse, I think it will result in a greater focus on set pieces which will make the game worse.

2 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

And I think if they get it right it won’t make it worse 

If getting it right means technology scope is kept to matterish of fact decisions like did the ball cross the line, was the player in the box when fouled, was the forward level with the defender when the ball was passed, did the referee book the wrong player then I would be less anti. Its use in subjective decisions such as handballs and fouls is far more damaging and could change the game significantly.

52 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If getting it right means technology scope is kept to matterish of fact decisions like did the ball cross the line, was the player in the box when fouled, was the forward level with the defender when the ball was passed, did the referee book the wrong player then I would be less anti. Its use in subjective decisions such as handballs and fouls is far more damaging and could change the game significantly.

I agree

17 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I am very worried about how it will impact on handball as everything looks like handball when slowed down. As someone said on the world football phone in it creates a system where a foward is better off smacking it at a players arm then going for goal.

Yes it is more stop start, but thats not why I suggested to learn from them, adapting some of the key principles is what is needed.

They only review scoring plays (all of them - often taking less time than the celebration) and then each head coach has two challenges outside of that (3 if both are successful). They can only challenge certain things (very important when transferring to football), and lose a timeout if wrong (timeouts often become very important late in games).

The key thing for me though is that the focus of the reviews are that they have to show clear and substantial evidence in order to overturn an onfield decision. Any close calls always stay with what was originally called, so the technology is only ever enforced when it is a fairly obvious mistake.

Then there is the communication. The head referee (one of 7 officials.. something football could learn from), has a mic that can be switched on to broadcast over the stadium sound system. And will declare when and why something is being reviewed, and then if the original decision is overturned or not. 

Also, I wholeheartedly agree in regards to handballs. I too am very worried at how var will influence the amount of handballs given. But that is more because of how the handball rule is already enforced and that var will only exaggerate this. First, the rule needs to be properly defined, as ive only ever seen a few intentional handball ever. 

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

can't wait for those on Saturday afternoons. It'll improve the game.

:P 

:lol:

Is there anything in football that could be used as a similar deterrent? Loss of a sub.. seems a bit weird. There's not really much else though. I guess in all other sports that use a challenge system they don't lose anything other than the challenge itself if wrong.

In as far as VAR goes. Just have a review system. Each team gets one review per game. You review an incident, the ref looks at it again either on big screen or by side of the pitch. At the end of the match he explains his decision for each review. 

One review stops teams taking the piss and they will only use it when they really think they are on end of the wrong decision. It will not cause the game held up for a significant time and with the ref explaining his actions, there is total transparency.

it is really not that difficult to implement.

Save our Jose.

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

Chelsea were pants yesterday. Sigh.

Felt like that's a performance which has been coming for a while. They've been playing great at time but yesterday it was clear that one team knew their system completely and the other was still figuring it out. 

Alos I underestimated the effect of spurs having Dele Alli back.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

In as far as VAR goes. Just have a review system. Each team gets one review per game. You review an incident, the ref looks at it again either on big screen or by side of the pitch. At the end of the match he explains his decision for each review. 

One review stops teams taking the piss and they will only use it when they really think they are on end of the wrong decision. It will not cause the game held up for a significant time and with the ref explaining his actions, there is total transparency.

it is really not that difficult to implement.

Save our Jose.

What incidents can and can't be reviewed? I hate the challenge idea, teams who had them would use to waste time at end of game.