Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it won't be, will change the game.

Liverpool's goal the other day would never have happened, for example.

And thats a problem? If it should not of been a goal then fair enough. 

VAR if executed properly could actually add to the game IMO. Poor implementation of any new rule/aspect of the game would of course not be a good thing. So its all how they implement it.  

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yes, it's a problem. The way the game is currently played won't be how its played in future.

That may not be a problem. It depends how you view it I suppose. The argument thats mostly touted about the flow of the game is one I dont agree with as long as its implemented well. Football is already a start/stop game. 

Edited by ThomThomDrum

6 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

That may not be a problem. It depends how you view it I suppose. The argument thats mostly touted about the flow of the game is one I dont agree with as long as its implemented well. Football is already a start/stop game. 

There was a penalty at the world Cup where there were 8 minutes between the incident and the penalty actually being taken. 

Fuck that noise. 

6 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

as the world cup got to show, it'll be more of a longer-stop game.

I accept that VAR might get a bit faster than it was at the WC, but it'll still definitely slow it.

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

as the world cup got to show, it'll be more of a longer-stop game.

I accept that VAR might get a bit faster than it was at the WC, but it'll still definitely slow it.

It's implemented well in the Bundesliga, and when I've seen it used it's not had a huge impact. My personal issue is the ref going and watching the TV on the side of the pitch. Either accept the VAR suggestion or ignore it. If a professional watching it with a replay isn't sure then it's not clear and obvious and it shouldn't be used.

It also needs to be communicated to the crowd at the game better, the Liverpool-West Brom FA cup game where it was used was terrible, everyone was just stood around confused. r

6 minutes ago, Dan R said:

when I've seen it used it's not had a huge impact.

But you don't necessarily see the impact.

That goal liverpool scored from a quite free kick after an offside call with the ball in the net would never have happened, so the impact wouldn't be seen.

But the game would have lost a fast and thrilling bit of play, and would have been duller for it.

(whether or not it was really offside doesn't matter - there would have been a review, and the game would have played out differently as a result).

Introduce it. The sooner we start getting used to it, as fans, players and refs - the better it will be for everyone. Will it just be for goal stuff? It'll be a farce at first with players calling for it every five mins etc and refs going back and forth but these things take time. It'll get there eventually. 

If the game stops for 10 minute to make a decision then its not being implemented well. The VAR in the WC was desperately inconsistent, shite, and why they decided to do it in the finals and not in the qualifiers beggars belief IMO. No one had a clue what was going on. I did get a sense that the issues seemed to lessen as the tournament went on as folk got used to it, but they really should not have used the finals as such a guinea pig...

Watching replays will always create a delay in the game. Tempo gets talked about a lot, but there's a reason players throw the ball back in quicker, take free kicks and corners in a sensible time frame. It's because getting on with the game is better than looking for perfection. 

Watch the NFL and see how they do reviews. Communication of what is happening by mic-ing the refs up, showing it to the crowd, and only reversing decisions when it is clear and obvious. It's not rocket science and the template for how to do it well is right there already - with a few minor adjustments it'll work fine and enhance the game. Get it wrong and the game will suffer.