Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

You mean buying players that they're actually going to pick? 

Also with an idea how they are going to fit into a system, not just for shirt sales. Also how they are going to work there attributes with another players attributes, for example Sanchez and Lukaku. 

5 minutes ago, thetime said:

Which is why there transfer policy is so much more advanced and sucessful than united's.

it helps having managers who are prepared to give newbies (youngsters, or not) a proper chance (that's Rodgers as well as Klopp).

Does seem to have been some exceptional dealings as Liverpool in recent years - even with the big spend on VvD. Klopp clearly identified exactly who he needed and why, and didn't waste dosh buying someone when the original summer 'deal' went tits up.

And for the few expensive duffs - Benteke, for example - they've sold them on without much in the way of fee-embarrassment.

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

Also with an idea how they are going to fit into a system, not just for shirt sales. Also how they are going to work there attributes with another players attributes, for example Sanchez and Lukaku. 

Oh I agree, I just find the lack of game time a number of recent signings have amusing. Man u just have an attitude of throwing money at people and hoping and signings will work out. 

14 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Oh I agree, I just find the lack of game time a number of recent signings have amusing. Man u just have an attitude of throwing money at people and hoping and signings will work out. 

Fred cost 52 million and has hardly played for utd despite being fit!

Edited by zahidf

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I think he's probably still a bit slow to play in the Prem, but hopefully h3e can over-come that.

Otherwise there's a risk that he's another Chan.

Oh, dunno about that. I thought it was smart playing him on the right in recent tougher-games as he's a better defensive right back than TAA, is probably as fast, and isn't shoddy getting forwards either.

But his future is obviously going to be as a CB.

I thought fabinho was excellent after a slow start. His decision making improved massively once he settled into the game and the system. Think it helped him a lot that he played alongside Gini (who was also excellent) rather than in the 6 on his own.

And I agree with you on Gomez, considering how much is now asked of full backs he's a really solid player. That fact he's been so much better at CB downplays how good he is at RB.

Should be a decent afternoon of cup football on BT this afternoon. Assume both Murrayfield and Hampden are sold out. 

Doubt ive ever recommended watching Scottish fitba on here so hopefully not cursed it and we get 2 nil nils :-)

Old firm obviously favourites but wouldn’t rule out an upset.

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

Should be a decent afternoon of cup football on BT this afternoon. Assume both Murrayfield and Hampden are sold out. 

Doubt ive ever recommended watching Scottish fitba on here so hopefully not cursed it and we get 2 nil nils ?

Old firm obviously favourites but wouldn’t rule out an upset.

The last Scottish match I watched was the Hibs v Rangers final a couple of years ago, that was a cracking game.

Happy with the result today. Worried about our creativity without Hazard but we did well. Nice to see Barkley in the side and performing so well recently. Him and RLC offering more going forward is a welcome treat when the strikers can be so hit and (mostly) miss. Hopefully Morata can kick on.

5 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Maybe if they sold Kane, Alli and Eriksen they might come close to 300 mil.

Not gonna be challenging at the top if they do that tho.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

but would also leave them in the shit on the field.

When have spurs challenged at the top? It’s not actually expected. Folk said the same when they sold Bale, spurs will still be a top 6 club which is where they are now. 

Transfer wise it a very impressive club, perhaps the best out of the top 6 clubs.

Edited by thetime

6 minutes ago, thetime said:

When have spurs challenged at the top? It’s not actually expected.

they haven't, but they've been hovering around the bottom of the top 4 recently, and the fans will kick off Arsenal-style if they're suddenly performing at a lower level because funds are going to the stadium.

It's inevitable. It's what fans do.

29 minutes ago, thetime said:

When have spurs challenged at the top? It’s not actually expected. Folk said the same when they sold Bale, spurs will still be a top 6 club which is where they are now. 

Transfer wise it a very impressive club, perhaps the best out of the top 6 clubs.

No but the goal is to keep improving surely? They gave Leicester a good run. They finished second last time Chelsea won it. Nobody consistently finishes in or around the top four and says to themselves "ah well, it's nice being here because nobody expects it, when we inevitably fall away from the pack, it won't really matter because we've overachieved anyway". Transfer wise yes, they do deal very well. Not buying anyone in summer wasn't particularly good proof of that though.

edit: They're good at making inexpensive signings / developing them into class players and also v good at getting lots of money when they do sell them on. Buuuuuuuuuuuut they also messed up signings of Willian, Mane and Wijnaldum hey ho they got Moussa Sissoko instead. It's swings and roundabouts. Can make arguments for and against most clubs transfer success.

Edited by jyoung