Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you can't blame him for the Chelsea geezer willy-waving in his face, just like you can't blame any set of disappointed fans for the willy-waving celebrations of the opposition team's supporters.

When the disappointed respond to the willy waving in an aggressive manner, we call that "hooliganism".

It was classy of Chelsea to immediately own the willy-waving of their side.

It was laughable of Moaniho to claim himself innocent.

Nah cant blame him on that one just as I wouldnt blame someone else when Mourinho over celebrated. The lad shouted in his face didnt he? Cant not expect a reaction. 

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Nah cant blame him on that one just as I wouldnt blame someone else when Mourinho over celebrated. The lad shouted in his face didnt he? Cant not expect a reaction. 

a reaction is to willy wave back - which he managed to do with the Chelsea fans, but not the chelsea staff member.

But if putting it someone's face justifies it, Moaniho should have been physically beaten to a pulp by the Chelsea fans for his (basically) "up yours" at them.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

Mourie was well within his rights to react for me. What I found funny was him saying after that he's always tried to be behaved on the sidelines where ever he has been. Didn't he eye gauge pep at one point?

No, he eye gouged Tito Vilanova, peps assistant, who had cancer then

• Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, zahidf said:

No, he eye gouged Tito Vilanova, peps assistant, who had cancer then

Really bad form from yourself adding about cancer, when he wasn’t even diagnosed at that point. 

An awful thing to do to anyone, one of the reasons I didn’t want jose anywhere near united. That being said to add cancer to your post, when you’re inaccurate is bad form. 

59 minutes ago, thetime said:

Really bad form from yourself adding about cancer, when he wasn’t even diagnosed at that point. 

An awful thing to do to anyone, one of the reasons I didn’t want jose anywhere near united. That being said to add cancer to your post, when you’re inaccurate is bad form. 

fair enough. He was diagnosed the same year, so I thought it was before the poke, but it wasnt

19 hours ago, The Nal said:

2 points from a possible 27. ?

It wasn't a possible 27 though, we've had games against Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Man U.

It's still awful. We don't have a striker, and are overly reliant on inconsistent players like Shelvey and Diame for creativity.

Just now, kaosmark2 said:

It wasn't a possible 27 though, we've had games against Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Man U.

It's still awful. We don't have a striker, and are overly reliant on inconsistent players like Shelvey and Diame for creativity.

Any idea where Newcastle are in terms of wage bill. I understand they should have spent more, but also get the impression other clubs are getting more out of what they have got.

36 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Any idea where Newcastle are in terms of wage bill. I understand they should have spent more, but also get the impression other clubs are getting more out of what they have got.

15th ish? We'll be above Cardiff, Huddersfield, and Brighton for sure. I imagine Fulham's front 3 might pull their wage bill above ours but I'm less confident on that. Bournemouth might have a lower one. I'd expect Watford's to be higher because of their larger squad size but I'm not sure.

This is the only source I can find with actual figures for last season (none for this). Most seem to still be quoting 16/17 when we were in the Championship, so didn't include us. It's also average player salary, which ignores squad size.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/675303/average-epl-salary-by-team/

We've got a couple of fairly high wage players (Shelvey, Ritchie), and a number of moderate ones that are barely playing/on loan elsewhere (Saivet, Gayle), but we've also shipped out most of our highest earners in the last few years (Mitrovic was 2nd highest earner last year), and a lot of squad players.

Some of the signings we've made haven't been good value. Rondon on loan has barely played, Murphy hasn't really looked particularly good yet, even if he is young. There's players like Lazaar who we signed in the Championship on a 3-year deal and who've played 5 games/season. I know a few of these are fairly low wages and are squad fillers (Manquillo being another example), but we keep spending money on players who aren't actually improving the team just to cover positions, which doesn't actually help things. The buying on the cheap and cycling players a lot just wastes money on agency fees, reduces changes of players acclimatising, etc. It's just a crap way of doing business (not just in football).

The Chelsea coach was ridiculous tbf. You have to be humble in victory and graceful in defeat. Proper unsporting behaviour. He's representing Chelsea. Chelsea and Mourinho are in each others DNA, like it or not and he should have shown a lot more respect. Big love to Sarri for his response...

Edited by jyoung

40 minutes ago, jyoung said:

The Chelsea coach was ridiculous tbf. You have to be humble in victory and graceful in defeat. Proper unsporting behaviour. He's representing Chelsea. Chelsea and Mourinho are in each others DNA, like it or not and he should have shown a lot more respect. Big love to Sarri for his response...

Jose complaining about a lack of respect?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

11 hours ago, jyoung said:

As you are a Chelsea man, how come Chelsea fans give Jose so much stick? With all the success he gave you, I would of thought he would be treated like a god at Chelsea. 

Edited by thetime

1 hour ago, thetime said:

As you are a Chelsea man, how come Chelsea fans give Jose so much stick? With all the success he gave you, I would of thought he would be treated like a god at Chelsea. 

From what I was hearing after the game, most were half and half about the chants but in recent years some fans have definitely gone off him.

It's a first love thing, I think. He gave many fans their first taste of something amazing. They went their separate ways but still had feelings for each other. Got back together, made some more memories, ended even worse than first time round and now the bridges are burned. What happened was great and you can't erase that but some fans probably barely even remember the feeling because now all they see is him with someone else. So much has happened and so much has been said. I think it's a case of, despite some very uneasy moments we gave you everything and you gave us everything. Due to his personality and the fickle nature of your general football fan, such an intense relationship was unlikely to remain when he became a direct rival.

Mata was cheered and applauded off the pitch as was Lamps after he scored against us for City. So... I think Chelsea fans wanted to 'still be friends' even after such a messy break up but for many it isn't possible now. I don't really care tho, think he's a Chelsea legend and love him for it.

Edited by jyoung

23 hours ago, The Nal said:

It was a human reaction. Just dropped 2 points literally 2 seconds before and he has some member of the other club shouting in his face. 

I don't really disagree and he was clearly provoked ... and yet if similar happens on the terraces the game is in big trouble.

So I'd say he should have been professional and the bigger man.

He proved himself the small man.

Particularly as he was happy enough to (essentially) give the Chelsea fans the bird himself shortly afterwards.

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Blaming a physio for treating a player with sexist remarks is a pretty impressive way to alienate your players and have performances implode.

Not that I've got any affiliation to Chelsea. 

Beauty of a goal for the 3rd as well. 

Our starts in the first half are a bit of a worry but generally looking up. Still haven't played any top teams since the first two games(losses) of the season though and defensively still don't look great - but at least we are entertaining to watch

Edited by mjsell

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

Beauty of a goal for the 3rd as well. 

Our starts in the first half are a bit of a worry but generally looking up. Still haven't played any top teams since the first two games(losses) of the season though and defensively still don't look great - but at least we are entertaining to watch

Yeah it feels like there plenty of room for a few disaster performances at some point for arsenal, but they can produce some beautiful attacking play. And they seem to be able to fight back in game a lot more these days.