Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

21 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Just said it's a place to start. . 

If judging on achievements wouldnt it be fair to say Carvallho had the more successful career of the 2 Chelsea centre backs. He played in a winning (as opposed to getting his kit on at the end) champions league winning team and also was more successful at international level.

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Nah just meant there will be the fans who love him and then those who don't but regardless, he's one of the greatest. It was a reflective thought really, not 'people disagree bcos they don't like him'.

Domestically I would agree. If you move it worldwide I dont think there are many fans of European teams that would name John Terry as the greatest centre back of his generation.

Terry was a very English defender. Last ditch tackles, body-blocks, etc. The sort that people over here love seeing on highlights. I think the positioning skill of others that meant those last ditch moments weren't needed as often made them better defenders.

And I'd include Rio Ferdinand in that, and he was a c**t as well.

28 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Terry was a very English defender. Last ditch tackles, body-blocks, etc. The sort that people over here love seeing on highlights. I think the positioning skill of others that meant those last ditch moments weren't needed as often made them better defenders.

Agreed.

28 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Disagree, obviously ! 

16 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

The old saying is the best defenders are the ones who don't make tackles. Watch the old Italian defenders - Baresi, Cannavaro, Maldini (when he played CH) - they barely moved, never needed to.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The old saying is the best defenders are the ones who don't make tackles. Watch the old Italian defenders - Baresi, Cannavaro, Maldini (when he played CH) - they barely moved, never needed to.

Completely agree with that. So good.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:26 AM, Hugh Jass said:

They would certainly move and making tackles,  if they were playing next to Chris Smalling. 

The great Milan side of the late 80 with Baresi and Maldini was all about the collective wasn’t it? For example Rio Ferdinand was at his best when next to Vidic, complimenting each other’s game 100%.

another example is van der saar when he went something like a lifetime not conceding a goal, but with Rio and Vidic he had very little to do. All about the collective for me, there hasn’t been many great defenders who hasn’t had the reputation without the collective unit. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Dean Smith the new Villa manager. On the face of it a good appointment, I wanted him at Albion ion the summer, I'd worry about having Terry on the staff though...

Why tho? JT obv wants to learn the trade and is going about it carefully. Villa fans and players all spoke about his qualities and contributions on and off the pitch last season so I can't see why there would be any need to worry?

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

What happened to that ex Liverpool assistant that some were saying was going to get the Arsenal job!

Forgot about him.

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Why tho? JT obv wants to learn the trade and is going about it carefully. Villa fans and players all spoke about his qualities and contributions on and off the pitch last season so I can't see why there would be any need to worry?

It's a bit unclear what his role will be as Smith has taken his own #2 with him. Will Terry just be there to put the cones out and sit quietly in the background? My fear (ok, hope) would be that as a much bigger name and personality than Smith Terry will end up undermining him and it'll all fall apart.  

Edited by Hugh Jass

Is there any hope for England's midfield? The trio that played against Croatia was utterly abysmal. 3 absolute headless chickens who are devoid of any skill, control or creativity what so ever. 

There are young players out there available and coming through the ranks. They have just shown promise rather than consistent quality. Do we bite the bullet and start blooding them now, or are there other options.

Personally I don't think Foden is quite ready but that midfield 3 the other night was just not good enough. 

46 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Is there any hope for England's midfield? The trio that played against Croatia was utterly abysmal. 3 absolute headless chickens who are devoid of any skill, control or creativity what so ever. 

There are young players out there available and coming through the ranks. They have just shown promise rather than consistent quality. Do we bite the bullet and start blooding them now, or are there other options.

Personally I don't think Foden is quite ready but that midfield 3 the other night was just not good enough. 

There's not too much to be read from that game. It's pretty clear the midfield works better when there's only one of Henderson or Dier, and they'd not played together in that formation before. Over the next few years there's gonna be plenty of new players competing for those positions so there's no need to rush players into it now imo.