Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

31 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

A better manager eliminates all the noise re: board and ownership. 

If it all was so simplistic hey.

no matter what you or I think of Jose, he’s one of the great managers of the last 20 years. His trophy cabinet proves that through 4 countries.

I personally don’t think the noise from the board is all that bad, they gave him and others around 700m in the last 5 years and the team still shit. 

As I have said many times on here in the last 3/4 years, nothing will change until the transfer policy changes. 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

wasn't going to watch any matches today, but I'm gonna be glued to the Newc game later now. 

Wouldn't it be great if one of the directors walked down the side of the pitch during the game and handed Moaniho his P45? :P 

I’m sure jose would love it, puts him out of his misery and 20m to walk away with. 

I would not be surprised if he’s already been sacked, just the complex pay off and hush money. 

Edited by thetime

22 minutes ago, thetime said:

If it all was so simplistic hey.

no matter what you or I think of Jose, he’s one of the great managers of the last 20 years. His trophy cabinet proves that through 4 countries.

I personally don’t think the noise from the board is all that bad, they gave him and others around 700m in the last 5 years and the team still shit. 

As I have said many times on here in the last 3/4 years, nothing will change until the transfer policy changes. 

He WAS but after his last year at Chelsea and now at Utd, it seems he can't inspire the players or results as he used to. He's seemingly been overtaken by the newer managers on the block

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Pep for one. Jurgen. Poch is doing a lot better with a lot less: do u think Jose could do as well as poch does with the same spurs players?(at the beginning of when poch worked with them, not after)

But pep isn’t new.

different sort of managers, Jose isn’t interested in pretty progressive football and he never has been. It’s all about winning trophies and that is why he will be sacked at united lack of big trophies or even close to it. 

So to mention klopp and poch in overtaking Jose is inaccurate, well until they start to win big trophies that is. 

Other than pep I can’t think of any manager in England playing exciting football and winning major trophies. 

Edited by thetime

12 minutes ago, thetime said:

But pep isn’t new.

different sort of managers, Jose isn’t interested in pretty progressive football and he never has been. It’s all about winning trophies and that is why he will be sacked at united lack of big trophies or even close to it. 

So to mention klopp and poch in overtaking Jose is inaccurate, well until they start to win big trophies that is. 

Other than pep I can’t think of any manager in England playing exciting football and winning major trophies. 

Well they are still in it for the champs league and FA cup, so it's not totally because of lack of trophies if he gets sacked. It's shit football and pissing of the dressing room.

Depends what you want from a manager. I appreciate it's not entirely his fault, but I use poch and jurgen as examples because they have measurably improved the players in the teams they manage. I can't think of one player Jose has improved at Utd.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

so it's not totally because of lack of trophies if he gets sacked. It's shit football and pissing of the dressing room.

You are totally wrong. 

If it was shit football and pissing of the dressing  room he wouldn’t of even got the job. His career has been about shit football, pissing of the dressing room but getting results and trophies

He gets sacked when his short term management style leads to bad results. 

Klopp and poch are at ideal cubs for there style, there is no immediate pressure to succeed and lift big trophies and are given time. At united due to the previous 30 years a manager won’t be given time, they will in time when the memory of success fades. For example fergie wouldn’t get 7 years to win a title like he was given at the start, same way klopp will be given the time to win titles at Liverpool. 

My thoughts.

It's interesting that Klopp and Poch have supposedly overtaken Mourinho yet finished below last year and won fewer (zero) trophies in the last few years. I'm just playing devil's advocate. You can swing it both ways, you really can. It's an interesting debate. Based on recent form and trajectory, you'd probs want Klopp or Poch but who's actually gonna be the next manager to win a major title? When push comes to shove, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mou.

What could Jose do with that Spurs side? What could Poch do at United etc... Who knows. The problems at United definitely run deeper than Mourinho. Look at the sacking of Moyes, the transfers based on marketing of a player and building a brand rather than a team. They're a club in limbo and have been for years.

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

My thoughts.

It's interesting that Klopp and Poch have supposedly overtaken Mourinho yet finished below last year and won fewer (zero) trophies in the last few years. I'm just playing devil's advocate. You can swing it both ways, you really can. It's an interesting debate. Based on recent form and trajectory, you'd probs want Klopp or Poch but who's actually gonna be the next manager to win a major title? When push comes to shove, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mou.

What could Jose do with that Spurs side? What could Poch do at United etc... Who knows. The problems at United definitely run deeper than Mourinho. Look at the sacking of Moyes, the transfers based on marketing of a player and building a brand rather than a team. They're a club in limbo and have been for years.

If Utd do get in zidane, it would probably help them short term. 

I'd argue klopp getting into the champs league final is on a par with Jose's achievements last season.

Overall though, you can see a massive improvement overall for Liverpool and spurs in the last 2 years, whereas it hasn't been at Utd for the same period.

17 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Overall though, you can see a massive improvement overall for Liverpool and spurs in the last 2 years, whereas it hasn't been at Utd for the same period.

Well you don’t have be a football expert to realise that, can they go to the next level and win big trophies though. That’s the big question mark, the next 4/5 years we will see with spurs and Liverpool. 

26 minutes ago, thetime said:

Well you don’t have be a football expert to realise that, can they go to the next level and win big trophies though. That’s the big question mark, the next 4/5 years we will see with spurs and Liverpool. 

Liverpool I reckon so. Spurs are in a dip at the moment, they really fucked up by not getting in a few better squad members

Sarri has done very well with Chelsea as well and unai so far with arsenal

Edited by zahidf

47 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I'd argue klopp getting into the champs league final is on a par with Jose's achievements last season.

Much like Englands world cup, its not the great achievement that it appears to be. Cup runs rarely are.

Liverpool only beat Maribor twice and Moscow once in the group, Porto, City and Roma and then were well beaten in the final.  They drew 4 and lost 2 games from 13 matches in the CL last season. The City result was great but they'd be expected to beat those other teams. Don't get me wrong, its a great platform to build from and creates a fabulous mood around the club and I would've swapped it for Utds season in a heartbeat but they still fell over the line into 4th and finished 25 points behind City. 

Madrid in a similar boat. 3 CLs in a row but miles off Barca. 17 points off last season.