Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

37 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would say the best thing is not to comment at all,they no doubt are panicking about their investment.

It does however concern me that many people are judging Ronaldo innocence on whether they like him or not, who needs evidence or trials in this social media age!

I haven't done that. I've just said it's a shit statement by juventus.

10 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Mike Ashley issues a strong rebuttal  of claims he made a two-fingered gesture via a statement: "I did not make a 'V sign' to anyone.... It is hugely disappointing, given the reason why we set up the meeting, that a story is being created out of nothing"

I love that he said he'd take them out for a meal to sweeten them up, then takes them for pizza. Must have cost him all of £100.

I hear he's now offered them all a holiday. I'm guessing its a winter weekend in Southend.

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I would say the best thing is not to comment at all,they no doubt are panicking about their investment.

It's rare, but I'm with zahid on this one. That statement was outrageously bad.

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

It does however concern me that many people are judging Ronaldo innocence on whether they like him or not, who needs evidence or trials in this social media age!

I've read the article that Thom linked to the other day, which lays out much of the evidence - which supposedly includes Ronaldo-signed documents in the victim's possession where he admits to forcing himself on her.

(there's also stuff where he says he didn't, but no one makes an admission that they did if they didn't).

I don't 'know' he's guilty, but if that article is accurate with its claims it's difficult to think he's not guilty.

7 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I’m not for a second suggesting it’s true in this case, but history is littered with false admissions. 

Also with true accusations no one believes. 

Again, dunno if that's the case here. But there is compelling evidence that it is true 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I've read the article that Thom linked to the other day, which lays out much of the evidence - which supposedly includes Ronaldo-signed documents in the victim's possession where he admits to forcing himself on her.

(there's also stuff where he says he didn't, but no one makes an admission that they did if they didn't).

I don't 'know' he's guilty, but if that article is accurate with its claims it's difficult to think he's not guilty.

When it comes to these cases I feel much more comfortable evidence being assessed by detectives and if sufficient using the courts to make a judgement, I dont assume things reported online are correct or incorrect. I know the justice system is far from perfect and the rich certainly get more favourable justice than the poor, but what we have is still preferable to justice by social media.

9 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

When it comes to these cases I feel much more comfortable evidence being assessed by detectives and if sufficient using the courts to make a judgement, I dont assume things reported online are correct or incorrect. I know the justice system is far from perfect and the rich certainly get more favourable justice than the poor, but what we have is still preferable to justice by social media.

I think you're overstating the trial by social media aspect of this. There are proper legal documents filed in this case and the story was broken by der Spiegel, a proper investigative newspaper. 

I'm not sure if Ronaldo did it, but there is compelling evidence for the allegations, and it clearly is a valid news story.

36 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The detectives say she made a statement at the time and had a medical examination and a case was opened - meaning they felt she'd probably been raped - but the case couldn't be pursued because she wouldn't help them identify the attacker. Now she has the case has been re-opened.

Her lawyers claim to have - and the reporter saw for himself - documents signed by Ronaldo which admit he forced himself on her.

As for the courts, they don't work (and particularly in the USA) as courts normally might do when the accused is incredibly rich &/or the crime is rape, so I don't really hold much faith in them getting to the truth, whatever that truth might be.

I can't deem him guilty or innocent, but I can form an opinion on what i've read - and what i've read suggests he's guilty. I'm happy to review that if/when more stuff becomes public knowledge.

I've no problem in saying it doesn't look good for him, just as I'd say the same about a case which hadn't yet been to court where someone was caught in the act 

Edited by eFestivals

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Her lawyers claim to have - and the reporter saw for himself - documents signed by Ronaldo which admit he forced himself on her.

How do we know the lawyer and the reporter are telling the truth? Do we know the document is legitimate?  Im not claiming I know one way or the other.

Edited by pink_triangle

Juve should have kept their traps shut on this one. There is no need for those tweets at all. They cause more problems and help with nothing IMO.

Money, distance and borders will keep Ronnie safe on this one most likely, but what Der Spiegel claimed to have uncovered and have seen does not look well for him. 

9 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

How do we know the lawyer and the reporter are telling the truth? Do we know the document is legitimate?  Im not claiming I know one way or the other.

you might as well be asking how can you believe your eyes that the sun rises in the morning. :rolleyes: 

We accept some things as true, on the basis of reasonable conclusions. It (the signed admission docs) might not be true, but on the balance of probabilities it probably is.

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Juve should have kept their traps shut on this one. There is no need for those tweets at all. They cause more problems and help with nothing IMO.

Money, distance and borders will keep Ronnie safe on this one most likely, but what Der Spiegel claimed to have uncovered and have seen does not look well for him. 

I wonder if society is different in Italy and they may see things differently than we would in Britain. My impression visiting (maybe im completely wrong) is they are a more male dominated society and I wonder if claims would be treated differently there they would in the UK.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you might as well be asking how can you believe your eyes that the sun rises in the morning. :rolleyes: 

We accept some things as true, on the basis of reasonable conclusions. It might not be true, but on the balance of probabilities it probably is.

Isn't that we we have a justice system and criminal trials to make a more informed view of the evidence available?

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Isn't that we we have a justice system and criminal trials to make a more informed view of the evidence available?

Nope. That's a jury making a more-informed view, not "we". "We" only ever have snippets to work from, plus the jury's conclusion (which is sometimes still wrong).

The jury hasn't yet made a conclusion. In the meantime i'm free to form my own opinion on what I know.

My opinion is of course proof of nothing, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to hold that opinion.