Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

26 minutes ago, lost said:

Well the FIFA 19 ratings have been announced and he's still the top rating keeper and 9th best player in the world. I normally have nothing better to do this time of year than watch youtube after youtube video of kids bitching about why is this player better than that.

Does that take the world cup and last month into account?

He's still a good goal keeper but he's playing badly at the moment. It's whether it's a blip or if it's like cech/forster and a sign of longer term decline.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Dunno. Would you prefer one massive Fuck up with a 90% save rate or a 50% save rate?

Anyway, it's clear he isn't playing AS well as he used to. And he was terrible at the world cup.

One keepers made a mistake, the other has possibly not (I can’t remember all of the shots he’s faced). I’m really not sure what all of this proves so early in the season. You keep referring to a terrible WC for De Gea but you could also say the same for most of that Spanish squad. And the thing about he isn’t playing as well as he used... well it’s 4 games in. Come back in 6 months and discuss whether De Gea is past his best. 

Also the save rate percentage isn’t the be all and end all. Another stat which in some cases is useless.

42 minutes ago, zahidf said:

?

He always wanted to play for RM. Courtouis gets the nod instead, and de gea is playing a lot worse than he used to after that.

I'm not saying that's the reason for sure but it's a possibility 

Why didn't he ask to go in any one of the 6 transfer windows since the fax debacle of 2015?

Again, show me the saves he should've made. Show us the mistakes. Why is he "a lot worse" now? Because of a tide of ill informed stats and opinion on twitter?

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Why didn't he ask to go in any one of the 6 transfer windows since the fax debacle of 2015?

Again, show me the saves he should've made. Show us the mistakes. Why is he "a lot worse" now? Because of a tide of ill informed stats and opinion on twitter?

I don't disagree that a goalkeepers lot is a hard one, in that it's a lot less forgiving of mistakes. 

For Spain, he made a number of errors.

For Utd, are you saying all 7 goals he conceded in 4 games (which is a lot when you think about it) were unsaveable wonder goals? Not a chance. 

Anyway, let's see how the season goes, but if we gea is a 7/10 instead of a 9/10, Utd are fucked...

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I don't disagree that a goalkeepers lot is a hard one, in that it's a lot less forgiving of mistakes. 

For Spain, he made a number of errors.

For Utd, are you saying all 7 goals he conceded in 4 games (which is a lot when you think about it) were unsaveable wonder goals? Not a chance. 

Anyway, let's see how the season goes, but if we gea is a 7/10 instead of a 9/10, Utd are fucked...

Apart from the Ronaldo goal, what other errors?

Of the 7 conceded for Utd, which ones were errors?

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Are you judging just by mistakes? On saying if a goal goes in, unless its a wonder goal, the goal keeper is generally at fault. 7 goals in 4 games is pretty bad at elite level.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I think the point he’s trying to make, although he’s hatred for united comes shining through to obscure any clear thought.

He hasn’t made any worldies that have saved united arses for the last 5 years. With I suppose you can agree with, although it’s only 4 games in and all that. 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Are you judging just by mistakes? On saying if a goal goes in, unless its a wonder goal, the goal keeper is generally at fault. 7 goals in 4 games is pretty bad at elite level.

Unless it’s a wonder goal the goalkeeper is at fault? You don’t half talk some shit. 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So De Gea is at fault for Vardys goal that he nodded in from a foot away after coming off the post, the 3 Brighton goals - 1 flicked in from 3 feet, 1 smashed in from 6 yards and a peno, and the 3 vs Spurs - Kanes header in the top corner, Mouras 1st from 8 yards through a defenders legs and his 2nd which was placed in the far corner.

All "generally" De Geas fault. 

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ben Foster has only conceded three, by that logic is he twice as good as De Gea?

Yup. Surprised he didn't get the nod from Real Madrid. 

6 minutes ago, sdvruxk said:

I may have misremembered but I’m sure he made an important save or two in the opening 2-1 victory over Leicester. 

Pretty sure no keeper in the world would have saved the 3 against Spurs. Didn’t see the Brighton match. 

He made a great save vs Leicester and a great one vs Spurs from a shot/cross. 

Here are the Brighton goals. All 3 De Geas fault. 

Not blindly defending him here by the way. If he made mistakes for the goals (like the shite defenders did) Id call it. 

Edited by The Nal

7 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yup. Surprised he didn't get the nod from Real Madrid. 

He made a great save vs Leicester and a great one vs Spurs from a shot/cross. 

Here are the Brighton goals. All 3 De Geas fault. 

Not blindly defending him here by the way. If he made mistakes for the goals (like the shite defenders did) Id call it. 

Are you telling me Brighton are such a great team that they can score 3 goals against man Utd???

I'm happy to say it's defence are terrible but come on. The goal keeper has to have some responsibility for that result

8 hours ago, zahidf said:

Are you telling me Brighton are such a great team that they can score 3 goals against man Utd???

I'm happy to say it's defence are terrible but come on. The goal keeper has to have some responsibility for that result

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

it's less about them being errors, and more about how he'd have saved at least some of them in previous seasons.

His form has dipped. 

So which ones would he saved last season then?

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

who knows?

But we do know he was pulling off exceptional save after exceptional save last season, and it doesn't look like he is now.

I'd question more why he has consistently needed to pull off exceptional save after exceptional save over the last few years. United have relied on him being superhuman for too long now.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd question more why he has consistently needed to pull off exceptional save after exceptional save over the last few years. United have relied on him being superhuman for too long now.

Yep, and we got into this because I was pointing out there's likely to be points consequences if he's no longer that same superhuman.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

He also makes a lot of "easy" saves which is down to good positioning. Samwe for all greats. The main aim in goalkeeping is to get into positions where you don't have to make a lot of exceptional saves. Catch one thats hit straight at him and its an easy save, diving 4 foot across the goal for a save and giving away a corner is classed as exceptional but its actually a mistake a lot of the time. 

Yep, and we got into this because I was pointing out there's likely to be points consequences if he's no longer that same superhuman.

No question yeah but out of the 7 this season, he could do nothing. 

Edited by The Nal

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

So which ones would he saved last season then?

He may have saved the peno and we would all be saying how great he is (not that Im saying he should have) and with the first Brighton goal he may have had a better starting position to get to the ball before the striker, cutting out the danger. Again Im not saying he should have and im not saying it was an error, but when someone like him is on top form he does things like that and we are all impressed..........