Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

14 hours ago, zahidf said:

?? Jose Mourinho In Post Match Press Conference: 

? "We lost 3-0. Three - the same number of Premierships I have.”

? “More than the other 19 managers put together. Respect. Respect me.”

Doesn't have the same impact when you remember there's a bloke in the stands at OT who won 13...

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

I like the way Jose and the man Utd lot are saying that their first half performance in a 3-0 loss at home shows things are going ok...

Did you see the other 5 1/2’s of footie they’ve played? It was miles better.

My take on it all is that United at seeing the full effects now over half a decade of stagnation and terrible recruitment decisions - both in terms of playing staff and coaches. They've allowed themselves to go backwards whilst the likes of City, Liverpool and Spurs have caught and overtaken them. Looking at their team last night they are simply not good enough, by my reckoning there are only three players in the United XI that would make the squad of a team with title/Champions League ambitions - De Gea, Pogba & Lukaku (and none of them would be guaranteed starters at City or Liverpool). They've pursued a bizarre transfer policy of "names" only whilst their rivals have been busy hovering up the actual talent. Which has led to a squad full of has beens and never quite weres.

Says it all when you're 2-0 down at home and resort to bringing Fellaini on.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

My take on it all is that United at seeing the full effects now over half a decade of stagnation and terrible recruitment decisions - both in terms of playing staff and coaches. They've allowed themselves to go backwards whilst the likes of City, Liverpool and Spurs have caught and overtaken them. Looking at their team last night they are simply not good enough, by my reckoning there are only three players in the United XI that would make the squad of a team with title/Champions League ambitions - De Gea, Pogba & Lukaku (and none of them would be guaranteed starters at City or Liverpool). They've pursued a bizarre transfer policy of "names" only whilst their rivals have been busy hovering up the actual talent. Which has led to a squad full of has beens and never quite weres.

Says it all when you're 2-0 down at home and resort to bringing Fellaini on.

Thing is, he could have bought on martial or Rashford but chose fellaini. 

7 hours ago, jyoung said:

I know it was directed at the press but, how many United fans care about three trophies he won at Chelsea? 

United have fully morphed into  history fc. 

Jose must be playing shit formations at the back with average players, just to prove a point now. Does not wash with me to be fair, That 26 year mark could easily be matched. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Thing is, he could have bought on martial or Rashford but chose fellaini. 

How could he have put Martial on? He was not even on the bench. In regards to Rashford, he has been woeful for a while now and can not remember when he put in a good performance. 

It was always going to be Fellaini for Matic after an hour I would of thought, no matter of the score at that time with it being matic first game since the world cup.

27 minutes ago, thetime said:

United have fully morphed into  history fc. 

Jose must be playing shit formations at the back with average players, just to prove a point now. Does not wash with me to be fair, That 26 year mark could easily be matched. 

There really is an early-mid 90's Liverpool vibe around United these days. You wait till they sign Julian Dicks...

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There really is an early-mid 90's Liverpool vibe around United these days. You wait till they sign Julian Dicks...

To be fair the likes of Julian Dicks is exactly what united need at the minute, not a single player or coach to bash a few heads together and certainly not a single leader at the club. 

Hey the way united are at the minute its more man city than liverpool in the mid 90s.  

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

My take on it all is that United at seeing the full effects now over half a decade of stagnation and terrible recruitment decisions - both in terms of playing staff and coaches. They've allowed themselves to go backwards whilst the likes of City, Liverpool and Spurs have caught and overtaken them.

A bit premature to say Liverpool and Spurs have overtaken them. Man utd finished above both last seasons.

by my reckoning there are only three players in the United XI that would make the squad of a team with title/Champions League ambitions - De Gea, Pogba & Lukaku (and none of them would be guaranteed starters at City or Liverpool). They've pursued a bizarre transfer policy of "names" only 

Many average players have won both premiership and championship titles. De Gea and Pogba would definitely start at Liverpool. I would also argue that under a different manager several players would look very different.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Many average players have won both premiership and championship titles. De Gea and Pogba would definitely start at Liverpool. I would also argue that under a different manager several players would look very different.

There's no doubt in my mind that someone like Klopp or Guardiola would be getting much more from this squad - they'd also have been better in the market too by buying players they actually need rather than chasing vanity signings.

Also true about average players winning titles, however I'd say most title winning teams have a core of 4-5 exceptional players that the team is based around, even Leicester had a core group of players all having the season of their lives at the same time, I just don't see that at United these days.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

How could he have put Martial on? He was not even on the bench. In regards to Rashford, he has been woeful for a while now and can not remember when he put in a good performance. 

It was always going to be Fellaini for Matic after an hour I would of thought, no matter of the score at that time with it being matic first game since the world cup.

He chose to not have martial as an option!

46 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There's no doubt in my mind that someone like Klopp or Guardiola would be getting much more from this squad - they'd also have been better in the market too by buying players they actually need rather than chasing vanity signings.

If it was all that simple hey. 

I’m certainly no fan of Jose and didn’t want him at the club. Saying that lets not forget he’s still won 2 trophies, got to the FA Cup final and came runners up. 

Would klopp or pep of done better? That’s open to debate. For klopp to have done anything he would of had to sell the lot and sign a new squad for his style. 

Edited by thetime

'd say most title winning teams have a core of 4-5 exceptional players that the team is based around, even Leicester had a core group of players all having the season of their lives at the same time, I just don't see that at United these days.

Didn't last seasons man utd get as many points as championship winning Leicester?

6 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

What’s that got to do with anything? 

Well the guy he was replying to said you need a core of 4-5 exceptional players that the team is built around to win the title, and that United don't have it but Leicester did. But United did just as well last season as Leicester did when they won it, without having said core of 4-5 exceptional players.

7 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Well the guy he was replying to said you need a core of 4-5 exceptional players that the team is built around to win the title, and that United don't have it but Leicester did. But United did just as well last season as Leicester did when they won it, without having said core of 4-5 exceptional players.

They didn’t do just as well. They did not win the league. 

An equivilent points tally in a totally different season does not equate to an equivalent performance. 

9 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

What’s that got to do with anything? 

My point is that there is a lot of talk about what factors make a title winning team, but one often ignored is the luck (and you have no influence 36 games a season) of a team not getting more points than you, particularly when you post an average or less total.

I don't agree that you need a core of 4/5 top players, I think the last man utd winning team didn't have that.

11 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't agree that you need a core of 4/5 top players, I think the last man utd winning team didn't have that.

The last United team only had two really (RVP seemed to win them the league single handedly), but every team since then has had four or so players who were either exceptional or had exceptional seasons.

2018 - City: All of them basically

2017 - Chelsea: Hazard, Kante, Courtois, Costa (tempted to stick Victor Moses in here too)

2016 - Leicester: Schmeichel, Vardy, Mahrez, Kante, Huth/Morgan

2015 - Chelsea: Hazard, Costa, Ivanovic, Matic

2014 - City: Kompany, Silva, Aguero, Yaya

2013 - United: RVP, De Gea (this was the year he came good)

Edited by Hugh Jass

9 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

My point is that there is a lot of talk about what factors make a title winning team, but one often ignored is the luck (and you have no influence 36 games a season) of a team not getting more points than you, particularly when you post an average or less total.

Each new season has new challenges.  Leicester got a little lucky, but UTD have enough money to buy their own luck. At the moment, they look massively off the pace