Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

Weird game that one. Arsenal were abysmal yet should have scored 5. Despite that, probably a fair result. Bellerin is a tragic defender.

Not sure what their attempt at playing out from the back is, either. Cech passes it to one CB, who has no options so passes it back to Cech, who passes it to the other CB, who has no options so passes it back to Cech, who after a few repetitions boots it upfield. Even worse doing it when 3-2 down with 60 seconds to play.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Weird game that one. Arsenal were abysmal yet should have scored 5. Despite that, probably a fair result. Bellerin is a tragic defender.

yeah, missed two of the easiest chances they'll get all season.

Despite being pointless they were always going to be tough games to get points in, and at least yesterday showed a bit of hope going forwards.

16 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Not sure what their attempt at playing out from the back is, either. Cech passes it to one CB, who has no options so passes it back to Cech, who passes it to the other CB, who has no options so passes it back to Cech, who after a few repetitions boots it upfield. Even worse doing it when 3-2 down with 60 seconds to play.

Arsenal were not 'abysmal'. We defended poorly but looked dangerous going forward. I think it was promising performance. Created loads of chances and our final ball was good. It was just the finishing that let us down when attacking.

Playing out from the back is new to the players and it is something that will be developed over the season. People were saying the exact same as you about City during Pep's first season. It always baffles me how quick people are to criticise the implementation of new systems. Have some patience for gods sake and realise these learning these things aren't instant.

Edited by CRW5252

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

Arsenal were not 'abysmal'. We defended poorly but looked dangerous going forward. I think it was promising performance. 

It always baffles me how quick people are to criticise the implementation of new systems. 

Sounds like the old system to me.

Shocking from Utd. Fans wont accept that. A nothing performance. 3-1 down at half time and came out for the 2nd half like a limp dick. Brighton were very comfortable for most of the game. 

Rather unsurprisingly Utd scored when there were men in the box. Who wouldve thought that you can score more when you attack in numbers?

8 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

Arsenal were not 'abysmal'. We defended poorly but looked dangerous going forward. I think it was promising performance. Created loads of chances and our final ball was good. It was just the finishing that let us down when attacking.

Playing out from the back is new to the players and it is something that will be developed over the season. People were saying the exact same as you about City during Pep's first season. It always baffles me how quick people are to criticise the implementation of new systems. Have some patience for gods sake and realise these learning these things aren't instant.

For a lot of the game they were abysmal. First half of the first half they couldn't string two passes together, couldn't get near Chelsea when they had the ball and the defence was being carved apart with ease. I've rarely seen any team look so bad, nevermind one with the quality Arsenal have in their ranks. For the rest of the first half Arsenal were decent, but the chances came from Chelsea having moments in defence where they were just as bad as Arsenal had been. Constant failures to track runners and mark people in the box (the reason I concentrated on Arsenal's failures is because Arsenal are the team I follow in the Premier League and I don't really care about Chelsea). Final ball was decent, yeah.

Second half the whole team offered practically nothing. It was all Chelsea.

I'm aware playing out from the back is new to the players and will take time to perfect, but it shouldn't be beyond players who start for Arsenal to have the awareness that a CB needs to have actual options to pass to if they want to play out from the back. Every time Chelsea's CBs have the ball, Jorginho is there showing for it. Half the time when Mustafi or Sokratis have the ball, there are no other Arsenal players to be seen.

For me, the only Arsenal players to come out of that game with any glory were Monreal, Guendouzi and Iwobi. Mkhi did some damage in the offensive third but the amount of time he was either invisible or giving the ball away negated that, for me.

There were positives there, and thankfully they now have a great run during which they can hopefully find form and put everything together. I expected 0 points from the first two games, so I can't say I'm too disappointed right now. Rather be in that position than United's who've already dropped points they're expected to get in the bag.

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Shocking from Utd. Fans wont accept that. A nothing performance. 3-1 down at half time and came out for the 2nd half like a limp dick. Brighton were very comfortable for most of the game. 

Rather unsurprisingly Utd scored when there were men in the box. Who wouldve thought that you can score more when you attack in numbers?

Many of us have found it unacceptable for 2 years. 

13 hours ago, The Nal said:

Shocking from Utd. Fans wont accept that.

seen an awful lot of Mu fans screaming for Jose to be sacked. :lol: 

Meanwhile Pogba misplaced 27 passes, while DdG has let in 10 of the last 14 shots he's faced.

If DdG has gone to shit then Utd are fucked. He's been the difference between points and no points for so many games in the last few seasons.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Meanwhile Pogba misplaced 27 passes, while DdG has let in 10 of the last 14 shots he's faced.

If DdG has gone to shit then Utd are fucked. He's been the difference between points and no points for so many games in the last few seasons.

Ddg  seems to be having a world cup hangover....

2 hours ago, Retro P said:

It’s crazy, I’m sure it would cost at least 30m to sack him so just don’t see it happening anytime soon. Hopefully not anyway as it’s getting a bit hilarious/sad to watch. 

Yup but thats chump change compared to losing pogba or not getting in the champs league next year

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Yup. The fans won't take another season of that style of footie. Fans wont take another few weeks of it. 

9 hours ago, thetime said:

Many of us have found it unacceptable for 2 years. 

Yeah but you have to give a manager a bit of time. Some City fans were calling for Guardiola to go after a few months. 

3rd season now though and just shit. Some of those players are absolute turkeys. 

The lack of urgency and fight was, weird. One yellow card while losing 3-1 losing away from home says it all. And it was for a clumsy trip. 

Edited by The Nal