Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

27 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

First game of the season, under a new manager, with a lot of new signings, against probably the joint best attack in the league.

Completely pointless to draw any conclusions about whether it's gonna be a long season for West Ham or not.

Still think they'll be absolutely fine.

I certainly agree that it's just one match and there's time for improvement, but that doesn't stop them from being the worst team I saw in the matches I watched over the weekend.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I certainly agree that it's just one match and there's time for improvement, but that doesn't stop them from being the worst team I saw in the matches I watched over the weekend.

Didn't see the game so I can't comment on how good they were, but even if they were the worst team over one weekend I don't think it says much.

Arsenal vs Man City in the League Cup final last season was one of the worst team performances I saw all season, but clearly Arsenal were/are a better team than 14 others in the league, even if I didn't see many of those 14 put in a performance as dreadful as that all season.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Maybe so, but being swatted away by Liverpool on the opening day does not equal "long hard season ahead".

Nice to see the word shambles still being used at times to describe things to do with Spurs. 

Bets on when they will be out of Wembley? 

Was told the other week by a mate who has colleagues that have worked on the new stadium, that they had to rip out a load of seats the had just put in because they hadn't been weather protected properly and were already showing the damage. 

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

Nice to see the word shambles still being used at times to describe things to do with Spurs. 

Bets on when they will be out of Wembley? 

Was told the other week by a mate who has colleagues that have worked on the new stadium, that they had to rip out a load of seats the had just put in because they hadn't been weather protected properly and were already showing the damage. 

Hopefully the NFL game having to be moved will cost them dough

14 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

Telling people what they already knew/ suspected - but re-confirms the pecking order in terms of clubs priorities.

to be fair, you can't really judge things on just one year. Plenty of clubs often make £10s of millions in losses, and any good years have to firstly cover that off.

Having said that, there's plenty of owners who take the piss.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

to be fair, you can't really judge things on just one year. Plenty of clubs often make £10s of millions in losses, and any good years have to firstly cover that off.

Having said that, there's plenty of owners who take the piss.

Yeah - but the thought of chairman sitting down to work out their medium and long term investment strategies and thinking feck it - the fans dont matter anyway its the TV money that counts still sticks in my craw.

And its not just the premiership - its more and more the championship as well. When I look how they treat fans at Leeds which is my club. Taking the piss just because we were fortunate enough to be born supporting the greatest team in history.

16 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Yeah - but the thought of chairman sitting down to work out their medium and long term investment strategies and thinking feck it - the fans dont matter anyway its the TV money that counts still sticks in my craw.

And its not just the premiership - its more and more the championship as well. When I look how they treat fans at Leeds which is my club. Taking the piss just because we were fortunate enough to be born supporting the greatest team in history.

The structure now is to earn as much as possible as the stats show whoever spends the most usually wins the most. In the top 5 leagues, the teams who spent the most/have the most expensive squads all won those leagues last year. Similar stats going in to Russia, Turkey etc. Its a fairly simple thing these days.