Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

3 hours ago, lost said:

Mina, Bernard and Gomes with possibly a loan before 7pm (Zouma?)  Haven't a clue how they'll play but a tiny bit more confident about the new season now.

I find those signings intriguing, without having a clue how they will play out. Richarlason is a funny one, he is already many people’s prediction as worst signing of the season, maybe the low expectations will help. I remember last season Renato Sanches being lauded as the signing of preseason.

On 8/6/2018 at 5:06 PM, eFestivals said:

with kick off next week, have we done league predictions yet?

1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3. Man Utd
4. Spurs.

And there's not really any other clubs in the running for the top 4 spots, are there? Chelsea didn't look great yesterday.

On 8/6/2018 at 5:23 PM, zahidf said:

1. City

2. Liverpool (and Fa Cup winners)

3. Arsenal (I've a feeling they'll click this season)

4. Spurs

Utd meltdown and Jose leaves in March when they can't reach top 4

Chelsea will come 7th but will win the Europa league.

On 8/6/2018 at 5:36 PM, Dan R said:

1. City

2. Liverpool

3. Spurs

4. Arsenal

I'd swap City and Liverpool if City get to the late stages of the CL and shift their focus to that. Also might put Chelsea for 4th if they keep hold of Hazard, Courtois, and Kante.

On 8/6/2018 at 7:32 PM, Gnomicide said:

1. City

2. Liverpool 

3. Chelsea

4. Spurs

On 8/6/2018 at 8:02 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Top 4: City, Liverpool, Arsenal, United 

Bottom 3: Cardiff, Huddersfield, Burnley

You guys are so boring...

1: Tottenham Hotspur.

2: Everton.

3:Liverpool.

4: West Ham United.

Edited by LJS

46 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

The lack of a real striker is. Fulham throwing around £20m+ for multiple players, while we can't apparently afford £10m+ for any. I do think our squad is better than 12 months ago though.

That remains to be seen. We've just had around 200m through the door and only spent 17m. Surely he is selling up.

7 hours ago, zahidf said:

bloody hell. No wonder Sanchez moved

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/09/manchester-united-veto-jose-mourinho-wishlist-cash-fears?CMP=share_btn_tw

"Alexis Sánchez’s contract – £391,000 a week with an extra £75,000 for every game he plays and an annual £1.1m signing-on fee "

it's great isn't it?

It means another season of a pissed-off Pogba. Can't wait. :D

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

What are your thoughts on West Ham's summer dealings? 

I have two.

1. Far too many players untested in the premier league. 

2. Tripp Smith is starting to have an influence. OR G&S want higher payments on their loans....

Edited by TheGayTent

8 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I have two.

1. Far too many players untested in the premier league. 

2. Tripp Smith is starting to have an influence. OR G&S want higher payments on their loans....

As a neutral I would rather these untested players than past their best experienced players. I see they have moved Hugill on, I always thought that was a pretty random signing. My Preston supporting friend couldn't believe a premiership club went for him.

9 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

That remains to be seen. We've just had around 200m through the door and only spent 17m. Surely he is selling up.

Finally a signing! What position does House of Fraser play?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

As a neutral I would rather these untested players than past their best experienced players.

I’d take Messi and Ronaldo.

59 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I see they have moved Hugill on, I always thought that was a pretty random signing. My Preston supporting friend couldn't believe a premiership club went for him.

They bought him in readiness for championship football. 

11 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

He's trying to grab as much as he can while working out how much he can sell up for.

That'll pay off the loan he gave the club. Now why doesn't he just sell up and f*ck off.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Finally a signing! What position does House of Fraser play?

Shows he can move fast in the business market to get deals done. Love to see the same applied to the transfer market.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

At least we know what Ashley was saving his money for.

But that isn't even what fans are asking for. We know he won't put his own money in and he wants the club to be self sufficient. I'll repeat that we've just had around 130m in tv money, 30m transfers out and we made money last season too on transfers. So that's nearly 200m into the club. 

Ashley said: “I’ve confirmed to Rafa and Lee that they can have every last penny that the club generates through promotion, player sales and other means in order to build for next season.”

Where is the money then?

Edited by WS_Jack_III

21 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Well we signed a left back, but holy shit Fulham's business. I'd thought they'd done plenty before today to stay up.

Bargain of the day seems like Lucas Perez. £4m seems like excellent business for West Ham, I'd have loved us to sign him.

I feel like we might end up having a similar season to last, struggling first half, make one or two signings and January and get a bit of space from the bottom. Our squad is definitely better than it was last year, but the three teams that went down last year feel a lot weaker than the ones that came up.

I don't think, in terms of how the squad's changed, it's as bad a window for us as many (Rafa inc.) are making out. Schar is hopefully good enough to cover Lejeune's injury; Fernandez is the option we needed at left back to compete with Dummett; Ki probably isn't quite as good as Merino but it seems like Merino wasn't willing to fight for his place; we got Dubravka made permanent which was vital after 3 years of sketchy keeping leading to January; Kenedy returning is a big plus. The big worry is up front, are Rondon and Muto actually better than Mitrovic and Gayle, or are they just the next cheap strikers we're going to try? Going to need Ayoze to keep his scoring record from the tail end of last season though. 

Need that £20m profit invested in January though, I still feel we're a striker and attacking midfielder light.

I don't think Fernandez has ever played LB in his life...