Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

9 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

£80k a week. Bloke needs to sack his agent. Burned all bridges with Schalke claiming he was gonna go to a CL club and ended up at Palace. Amazing.

Is that it? What a shit agent. Fair play the Palace though, that's an amazing bit of business.

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

Is that it? What a shit agent. Fair play the Palace though, that's an amazing bit of business.

If I was a Palace fan I'd be a little concerned. The guy has been touted as one of the next big things in German football, been linked with most of the elite at some point or over, yet he's been a free agent since June and has only just found a club? And only Palace?

What's the catch? Why haven't the likes of Bayern snapped him up?

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If I was a Palace fan I'd be a little concerned. The guy has been touted as one of the next big things in German football, been linked with most of the elite at some point or over, yet he's been a free agent since June and has only just found a club? And only Palace?

What's the catch? Why haven't the likes of Bayern snapped him up?

Thing is he's been converted from an attacker to a deep midfielder over the last few years, so the stark drop off in his goals and assists makes him look like he's not developed. Obviously seems like to behind the scenes issues but that only seems to have come up in regards to contract talks. Either way he's a 22-year old Germany international on a free with reasonable wages, seems like a really solid risk to take.

Edited by Dan R

21 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

In other news yellow and red cards for managers will be a thing for the Football League and cups this season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/31/efl-managers-red-yellow-cards

A neat idea, but the cynic in me wonders how brave the refs would be to show anything to the likes of Pep and Jose.

Managers feigning injury to get other managers sent off is gonna be the big thing this season.

• Upvote 2

Max Meyer just isn't as good as he was made out to be. The links to top clubs were all rubbish. No Arsenal fans who'd actually watched him play wanted him to sign, and I presume it was the same with fans of other top clubs. Last I'd heard was that he was on his way to Hoffenheim which made much more sense than a top club. I don't think £80k a week is particularly cheap for him.

16 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Max Meyer just isn't as good as he was made out to be. The links to top clubs were all rubbish. No Arsenal fans who'd actually watched him play wanted him to sign, and I presume it was the same with fans of other top clubs. Last I'd heard was that he was on his way to Hoffenheim which made much more sense than a top club. I don't think £80k a week is particularly cheap for him.

Agreed. I’d go further, I think he’ll turn out to be poor value of money. 

First game of the season at Telford FC today, lovely community feel to the crowd and the daughters first footie game. 

Under 16’s getting in for a quid certainly helped the family vibe around the stadium, very friendly crowd and certainly different from top level football. 

What surprised me most though was no matter what level of football, players go over far to easily. With the smaller stadiums and centre backs hoofing it over the stands, telford must have plenty of balls as back up. I think we counted the ball going over the stands 8 times.

3 quid a pint was pretty nice as well. 

Half time today...

0-0

Southend: 8 shots on target, 3 off target, 5 corners, 62% possession

Doncaster: 0 shots on target, 1 off target, 0 corners, 38% possession

25 mins into the second half we were 3-0 up :P

They ended up pulling it back to 3-2 but we managed to hold on despite 10 mins stoppage time which no one seemed to understand where it had come from.

I've missed club football.

6 hours ago, Retro P said:

Is there ever any eFests dream team leagues?

This is for the Sun one if anyone fancies it

SG2XK2ER

On 7/26/2018 at 12:00 AM, kaosmark2 said:

I can take a hint:

Invite players to join efestivals

Code to join this league: 1228178-278645

I notice the official prem league fantasy site do draft leagues now. Have been doing that for the last few years and highly recommend it. 

We will be doing our draft on Wednesday and I've got to say, this is the hardest year yet for me. I've lost track of a lot of players and teams. Was doing some research last night and was surprised by a few player changes that I had missed. Also no idea on who will be starters for a lot of teams this year.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, pink_triangle said:

Looking at the championship that Stoke squad looks really strong, if they keep hold of their best players I think they will be back at the first attempt.

We outclassed them

but we started well last few seasons and this one will be the same where we fall to 13th by the end of the year after it all goes wrong

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I take solace from the fact that in our last three promotion seasons we've lost on the opening day.

Need to recover quickly though as we've got a bloody tough game at Forest tomorrow night.

Best thing about the championship - games come thick and fast, and even better, no manager whines like a bitch about it. 

16 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Best thing about the championship - games come thick and fast, and even better, no manager whines like a bitch about it. 

Yup, we play six times between opening day and the first international break. Not sure some of our soft shites who were used to the PL will be able to cope.