Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

44 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

He has played winger for a lot of those games and a lot are sub appearances. Basing a strikers ability on their goal scoring record alone is naive. 

A good example is that you lot are moaning about Rondon being an option. When he was at Zenit he scored 20 in 37 games. I'm sure you'd be buzzing if you were signing him straight from Zenit as you place so much weight on goal scoring records. It's only his lower goal scoring record at West Brom that has put you off him.

For the record, I think Rondon would be a great signing for you. He's always impressed me when I've seen him. Very difficult to deal with. Pretty quick and very strong. Good finisher as well.

Who are you expecting to get that's better? 

Yeah exactly, we don't need a winger we need a CF. I think he would be a good signing though.

I'd love to see us go after Giroud but he's out of our league. Unfortunately Ashley has massively lowered our stock in the past decade and now we have to look at players like Rondon.

If we do sign him, I of course hope he does well but I'm not so sure if he will.

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

He has played winger for a lot of those games and a lot are sub appearances. Basing a strikers ability on their goal scoring record alone is naive. 

A good example is that you lot are moaning about Rondon being an option. When he was at Zenit he scored 20 in 37 games. I'm sure you'd be buzzing if you were signing him straight from Zenit as you place so much weight on goal scoring records. It's only his lower goal scoring record at West Brom that has put you off him.

For the record, I think Rondon would be a great signing for you. He's always impressed me when I've seen him. Very difficult to deal with. Pretty quick and very strong. Good finisher as well.

I think Welbeck would be fantastic. I completely rate him, yes he's not a top class striker or goalscorer, but when he plays centrally he has a decent goals/minute record, and he has a good all round game including putting defenders under pressure and a burst of pace.

I don't see what Rondon brings that Joselu doesn't. His all round game is good, but from what I've seen his finishing is poor. I know at West Brom he didn't get particularly many chances (goals wise, not playing opportunity), but those he did get I saw some remarkable misses.

Welbeck is comfortably the best forward we've been linked with that feels believable. I'd also prefer gambling on someone from another league (preferably German/Spanish/Italian than endless French players), than buying a 29 yr old striker who's failed to score goals in the Prem before and has a similar playstyle to another goalless forward we already have.

Got to remember that last season Rondon probably had the highest average of 'distance from teammates'. Isolated doesn't do it justice. He was often the only west Brom player to step foot in the opponents half for minutes at a time. 

Think he's an alright player, but Welbeck is certainly the far better option, think he needs to leave arsenal as well - just can't see how he gets in the team regularly.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:39 AM, CRW5252 said:

Just spat my tea out!

This latest Mourinho rant is the strangest of the lot. Throwing all his players under the bus. Claiming it was "Liverpool 1st team vs United kids". The average age of the United team was 1 year older than the Liverpool one.

Is it a tactic to get the owners to spend some money? Only he knows. But it's incredibly weird even by his standards.

2 hours ago, Dan R said:

But by leaving the team in a dodgy state with Rafa's future uncertain surely it's gonna knock value off the club? Makes no sense to me.

exactly, it's crazy. I don't think he actually wants to sell the club. He's getting all that free advertising remember.

13 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

exactly, it's crazy. I don't think he actually wants to sell the club. He's getting all that free advertising remember.

How much more advertising does he need? Surely there isn’t anyone left in this country who watched football and is not aware of the existence of Sports Direct?

What’s the point when everyone thinks you’re a c**t?

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

How much more advertising does he need? Surely there isn’t anyone left in this country who watched football and is not aware of the existence of Sports Direct?

Premier League is shown the world over and Sports Direct operates 290 stores overseas (mainly in Europe)

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

23 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Premier League is shown the world over and Sports Direct operates 290 stores overseas (mainly in Europe)

Yep, they deliver to Australia/New Zealand and are not a market leader for sports equipment in any way.

I imagine global expansion is the reason for his persistence.

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Don’t think he gives a toss what anyone thinks but I’d agree with your views on him.

Hes just taken Rangers to court up here over sports direct owning merch rights......and won, even though their fans are boycotting his shops.

19 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

This latest Mourinho rant is the strangest of the lot. Throwing all his players under the bus. Claiming it was "Liverpool 1st team vs United kids". The average age of the United team was 1 year older than the Liverpool one.

Is it a tactic to get the owners to spend some money? Only he knows. But it's incredibly weird even by his standards.

Haven't seen a few throwaway pre season comments or irrelevant results blown out of proportion in the media as much in my lifetime. Not much to talk about in terms of silly season transfers so I suppose they've to fill column inches somehow. Jose and Utd have been headline backpage news every day for the last week.

Lack of signings is an issue though, as is the Martial situation. Another season of Phil Jones and Chris Smalling?! Yuck.