Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

An interesting read:

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/uncategorized/football-must-win-this-one/

Remarkable to think that even at non-league level there are still issues with agents being arseholes (although I'm not sure Boreham Wood have covered themselves in glory either).

I wouldn't expect any different in the national league, it is just on a lower scale. For the sake of balance I wouldn't automatically assume what a club owner says to be accurate.

19 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

We've finally, finally, been having some rumours about a striker worth a damn in Welbeck.

Hey I predicted this one a few weeks ago! Would love to see this come off, what with Newcastle's record for looking after English talent and Welbeck sorely needing to revert to playing as a poacher instead of the winger he's been fashioned into.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Hey I predicted this one a few weeks ago! Would love to see this come off, what with Newcastle's record for looking after English talent and Welbeck sorely needing to revert to playing as a poacher instead of the winger he's been fashioned into.

Not sure what you mean about our record for looking after English talent. Shelvey and Townsend aside, we haven't had any notable English players since Dyer.

I'd love it though. If he's playing centrally for us in our 4-2-3-1 I see him getting 12-15 goals if he stays fit (which is an if). Issue is wages though, his reported £100k/wk is around double what the rest of our first team is getting. Reports are either we'll be loaning him or he'll have to take a big wage hit.

Our current transfer outlay is net -£11m though, £15m for Welbeck seems like a good deal if we can get his wages down, even if there's an appearances/goals bonus scheme that pushes it back up towards that.

Supposedly Fulham are in for him if they can't sign Mitrovic though. If Ashley's being tight-arsed and stalls on both negotiations, or if Welbeck wants to stay in London, I can see us missing out. Again.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Not sure what you mean about our record for looking after English talent. Shelvey and Townsend aside, we haven't had any notable English players since Dyer.

I'd love it though. If he's playing centrally for us in our 4-2-3-1 I see him getting 12-15 goals if he stays fit (which is an if). Issue is wages though, his reported £100k/wk is around double what the rest of our first team is getting. Reports are either we'll be loaning him or he'll have to take a big wage hit.

Our current transfer outlay is net -£11m though, £15m for Welbeck seems like a good deal if we can get his wages down, even if there's an appearances/goals bonus scheme that pushes it back up towards that.

Supposedly Fulham are in for him if they can't sign Mitrovic though. If Ashley's being tight-arsed and stalls on both negotiations, or if Welbeck wants to stay in London, I can see us missing out. Again.

Historic, I should say. Although I think there are plenty of examples post-Dyer, but it’s not important.

Wouldn’t suspect London living to be that much of an issue, what with him being there for only a couple of years, and if that isn’t an issue then Newcastle are a much more attractive option. Ashley is obviously an issue though, and if Fulham provide real opposition then it looks doubtful.

41 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Historic, I should say. Although I think there are plenty of examples post-Dyer, but it’s not important.

Wouldn’t suspect London living to be that much of an issue, what with him being there for only a couple of years, and if that isn’t an issue then Newcastle are a much more attractive option. Ashley is obviously an issue though, and if Fulham provide real opposition then it looks doubtful.

Fair enough then yeah. There's plenty of English players who've played for us since, but none that have really been in the national team (although Shelvey should have).

The questions over Ashley are there for everyone vaguely involved with the club, and the draw of working with Benitez isn't there because noone believes he'll put up with Ashley for more than one more year.

5 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Why anyone would rather live in London than Newcastle is beyond me.

11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Southgate nominated for FIFA coach of the year, who are the experts on these panels!

Thats an easy one for the simple way they think

"Young, inexperienced manager gets England to first WC Semi since the ledge ball that was Bobby Robson CBE"

53 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The four coaches who made the WC semis were nominated. It's not the most unreasonable of shouts.

Well the other semi finalist beat Brazil. The best team England beat in 90 minutes was Sweden! If they are combining club and country, I struggle to see how you could place Southgate achievement above Sarri. I would even put Dyche comfortably ahead of Southgate.

Even looking at a tournament it's very simplistic to say that the best 4 coaches are the 4 semi finalist.

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Well the other semi finalist beat Brazil. The best team England beat in 90 minutes was Sweden! If they are combining club and country, I struggle to see how you could place Southgate achievement above Sarri. I would even put Dyche comfortably ahead of Southgate.

Even looking at a tournament it's very simplistic to say that the best 4 coaches are the 4 semi finalist.

You think the people who nominate think anything other than simplistic terms?