Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

3 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

It’s all about opinions but I agree with this fella

” It is clear, if you are qualified for the Champions League it is easier to convince specific players “

I think it depends on the circumstances and what stage of the champions league you are talking about. Arsenal for example are a bigger draw for players than most teams with champions league football.

11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Rumours that Wrexhams are getting 1-2 million from Liverpool selling Ward to Leicester.

The fee for Gunn was strange enough last week. The third-choice keeper market is going wild.

I just had a search to see what Mignolet was up to. I thought things had gotten really bad for Karius and Mignolet when I saw this. :lol:

shaka.png.9b2d91711b50ea8452dbf5f5c7ff17bb.png

Edited by dentalplan

On 7/20/2018 at 9:15 AM, Comfy Bean said:

Just reading about this. Rooney would have been due to play in Aberdeen`s European qualifier next week after Aberdeen finished runners up in the SPL. I don`t blame the fella for taking the money but the games gone.

Anyway...just looking at train times for our trip to Coatbridge on Saturday. Enjoyed the World Cup but good to get the domestic stuff back.

No VAR up at Albion Rovers  :)

Enjoy your trip to Coatbridge, Comfy. Everyone seems to be tipping Albion for rock bottom this season, so should be a nice day out for you (if you can have a nice day out in Coatbridge)

I see we've picked up your keeper (Josh Hart) .. any good?

23 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Is Europe a huge attraction for players? I guess it depends who you are playing, could Aberdeen get to the groups?

Well they haven't qualified for the groups since the Europa league started. And this year they'll need to see off Burnley if they wish to do so!!!

I guess money will always come first, I would also argue that the poorer SPL teams are not much (if at all better) than national league, so he may often find the level of opposition is quite similarly.

Are you arguing that Aberdeen are one of the poorer SPL teams? They have finished runners up for the past 4 seasons.

I certainly take the point that the general standard is much lower up here. There simply is not the money up here. The Tv deal for the Scottish premiership is worth £18.75 million a year. So there is no way we can compete with English football.

You may get an idea of comparative levels as two national league clubs Sutton Untied & Boreham Wood are joining our Irn Bru Cup (the equivalent of your EFL Trophy) this season.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/national-league-sides-join-irn-bru-cup/

Edited by LJS

4 minutes ago, LJS said:

Well they haven't qualified for the groups since the Europa league started. And this year they'll need to see off Burnley if they wish to do so!!!

Are you arguing that Aberdeen are one of the poorer SPL teams? They have finished runners up for the past 4 seasons.

No, I’m suggesting that I don’t think he will see a huge difference in quality when playing against a bottom half SPL compared to playing against a good national side team.

4 minutes ago, LJS said:

I certainly take the point that the general standard is much lower up here. There simply is not the money up here. The Tv deal for the Scottish premiership is worth £18.75 million a year. So there is no way we can compete with English football.

You may get an idea of comparative levels as two national league clubs Sutton Untied & Boreham Wood are joining our Irn Bru Cup (the equivalent of your EFL Trophy) this season.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/national-league-sides-join-irn-bru-cup/

I think attendances are also of some relevance. The best supported national league sides are averaging the same/more as lower end SPL teams, which probably reflects the size of the towns. I’m not convinced those 2 teams will add much to your competition. If it was Wrexham I would have turned the invitation down.

2 hours ago, LJS said:

Enjoy your trip to Coatbridge, Comfy. Everyone seems to be tipping Albion for rock bottom this season, so should be a nice day out for you (if you can have a nice day out in Coatbridge)

I see we've picked up your keeper (Josh Hart) .. any good?

Aye Jordan Hart. I liked him. Good organised and great with his feet. Quite young and prone to the odd clanger but was sorry to see him go. He saved a penalty at Hampden v QP and played really well that day I remember.

Weve replaced him with a young fella on loan from Celtic.

Fancy us to win by a few today.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

One for the Newcastle lads - rumours of Gayle being used as a makeweight in the Rondon deal.

I’d snap your hand off for Gayle plus £5m. He pretty much guarantees 20+ Championship goals.

While I think we need an upgrade on Gayle.... Is Rondon really it? I still don't see what he brings different from Joselu. A bit of decent link-up play without any goals.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would say one season of scoring 20 + goals is not evidence he will do it again.

While I agree, hasn't he scored fairly comfortably in the Championship before? I wouldn't say "guarantees" but I'd put him fairly favourably to be one of the top scorers if the team is half-decent.

3 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

While I think we need an upgrade on Gayle.... Is Rondon really it? I still don't see what he brings different from Joselu. A bit of decent link-up play without any goals.

While I agree, hasn't he scored fairly comfortably in the Championship before? I wouldn't say "guarantees" but I'd put him fairly favourably to be one of the top scorers if the team is half-decent.

I checked and he has a 13 and a 23. Scored over 15 only twice in his career.

23 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

One for the Newcastle lads - rumours of Gayle being used as a makeweight in the Rondon deal.

I’d snap your hand off for Gayle plus £5m. He pretty much guarantees 20+ Championship goals.

I'm getting extremely nervous at our transfer rumours. I don't think this would be wise at all. Having said that, he didn't really do it last season and his ham strings are made of cheese.

42 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I'm getting extremely nervous at our transfer rumours. I don't think this would be wise at all. Having said that, he didn't really do it last season and his ham strings are made of cheese.

Rafa's contract is up at the end of next season: losing him will be tough for the fans I imagine 

There's been some reports on fansites that The Scum said Ashley won't release transfer funds until Rafa signs a contract, while Rafa won't sign a contract until Ashley releases funds. Considering that Ashley has reneged on a number of promises before, and there's only been one transfer (last summer) since Rafa took over that we've not made a profit on transfer dealings and reduced the wage bill, it's not surprising if true.

Every man and his dog knows that Newcastle want a striker or two and an attacking mid. Ashley's not sanctioning any high budget transfers in case they don't work out, but if every window you buy an £8m striker then sell 2 years later for £2m, you spend far more than if you get one £20m striker. Particularly as you often have that extra wage budget and agency fees and signing fees.

We've got about 7 or 8 Prem quality players, if we add a Prem quality goalscorer to that we'll be completely fine with no worries of relegation. But... Ashley.

Edited by kaosmark2

But why does he insist on gambling our PL status time and again? He put the club up for sale, asking silly money for it (probs doesn't actually want to sell) if we go down the club value will go down too. 

Apparently 6,000 season tickets have not been renewed. Fans starting to act.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:14 PM, pink_triangle said:

Rumours that Wrexhams are getting 1-2 million from Liverpool selling Ward to Leicester.

No rumours. We will be getting 1-2million, nobody is quite sure what the actual clause is but it seems to be around 15% which would be incredible for a team like ours.