Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

21 hours ago, jyoung said:

Adam Rooney. 66 goals in 5 years for Aberdeen in the Scottish Prem. 

Just moved to National League side Salford City. Apparently on 4k a week.

Just reading about this. Rooney would have been due to play in Aberdeen`s European qualifier next week after Aberdeen finished runners up in the SPL. I don`t blame the fella for taking the money but the games gone.

Anyway...just looking at train times for our trip to Coatbridge on Saturday. Enjoyed the World Cup but good to get the domestic stuff back.

No VAR up at Albion Rovers  :)

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I'm just not sure how happy he'll be sat on the bench most of the time, and being overshadowed by bigger stars. 

Well if he thinks he is joining LFC to be playing in the first 11 more often than not then he might as well pack it in now. He must understand why he was brought in. Surely? And he must be happy/agreeable with that approach and the prospect of the level of opportunity he will potentially get. Id be very surprised if he thinks something different and spits out the dummy accordingly. And anyway if he does he will be removed quicker than he can say "Mamadou Sakho" 

Just now, ThomThomDrum said:

Well if he thinks he is joining LFC to be playing in the first 11 more often than not then he might as well pack it in now. He must understand why he was brought in. Surely? And he must be happy/agreeable with that approach and the prospect of the level of opportunity he will potentially get. Id be very surprised if he thinks something different and spits out the dummy accordingly. And anyway if he does he will be removed quicker than he can say "Mamadou Sakho" 

I reckon he knows he's been brought in as backup, but either - eventually - he won't be happy with that, or perhaps he thinks he can break into the first team if he's given opportunities from the bench.

(and actually, to be fair, he might manage that last one, as he's not been playing in a team with other very decent players. It might see his performances elevated)

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Whatever about Shaqiri - does Daniel S have a future at the club? Love to see him given another shot. Was captain yesterday.

I saw a quote of Klopp's a week or two ago, saying he might have a future at the club.

I took it as Klopp reminding other clubs he's available. :P

Edited by eFestivals

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I saw a quote of Klopp's a week or two ago, saying he might have a future at the club.

I took it as Klopp reminding other clubs he's available. :P

Yeah, sure what Klopp says and does are two different things. Just ask Karius (Or Utd fans who like to quote him about spending/not spending money)

As for DS specifically. He has one year left with the club and if he would like to get a half decent move with half decent pay he will need to show himself to be a very professional back up this year. Do that and he could be a solid squad member (if he stays injury free)......

Apparently his link up play with Kieta was note worthy last night, even if it was against Blackburn, so it would be great for the club if he could keep the head down, stay injury free and make a contribution this season

Edited by ThomThomDrum

2 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Just reading about this. Rooney would have been due to play in Aberdeen`s European qualifier next week after Aberdeen finished runners up in the SPL. I don`t blame the fella for taking the money but the games gone.

Anyway...just looking at train times for our trip to Coatbridge on Saturday. Enjoyed the World Cup but good to get the domestic stuff back.

No VAR up at Albion Rovers  :)

Is Europe a huge attraction for players? I guess it depends who you are playing, could Aberdeen get to the groups?

I guess money will always come first, I would also argue that the poorer SPL teams are not much (if at all better) than national league, so he may often find the level of opposition is quite similarly.

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I guess money will always come first, I would also argue that the poorer SPL teams are not much (if at all better) than national league, so he may often find the level of opposition is quite similarly.

I suppose at 30 years old and playing in the Scottish Prem you aren't gonna get many options for one last decent contract. Can't blame him at all. 

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

Only a matter of time before Salford are a league club, the money the old united boys are putting in has certainly put Salford in the right direction. 

Agreed, will probably happen this season. They will be very unpopular winners! What will make things difficult moving forward is financial fair play which they have in league 2, but not the national league.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Agreed, will probably happen this season. They will be very unpopular winners! What will make things difficult moving forward is financial fair play which they have in league 2, but not the national league.

Although not on twitter anymore, I saw in the media that Gary Neville and the Accrington Stanley Chairman having a pop at each other. 

I can see both points to be fair, whilst it puts a few clubs noses out of joint it also gives fans a chance to dream. In the same way money has been pumped into City, gave there fans the chance to eat at the top table. 

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Is Europe a huge attraction for players? 

I reckon if you finish 5th in the Premiership and miss out on the possibility of Champs League then that can have an affect on some of the top players you might be keen to attract.

So yes.

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

I reckon if you finish 5th in the Premiership and miss out on the possibility of Champs League then that can have an affect on some of the top players you might be keen to attract.

So yes.

It depends on how competitive the team is gonna be in Europe though. Club Brugge are in the group stage of the champions league but it's not as much of a draw as Chelsea or Arsenal.

The possibility of a single European qualifier isn't gonna be a huge factor in the long run.

5 minutes ago, Dan R said:

It depends on how competitive the team is gonna be in Europe though. Club Brugge are in the group stage of the champions league but it's not as much of a draw as Chelsea or Arsenal.

The possibility of a single European qualifier isn't gonna be a huge factor in the long run.

Fair enough :-)

I still reckon Chelsea or Arsenal finishing 4th makes a difference when they are trying to attract players at the top end compared with their chances of getting the same player should they finish 5th.

7 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

I still reckon Chelsea or Arsenal finishing 4th makes a difference when they are trying to attract players at the top end compared with their chances of getting the same player should they finish 5th.

Last time we missed out on the Champions League we signed Kante who had just won the league with Leicester and would have had Champions League football with them had he not signed for us. We didn't even qualify for Europa. We finished 10th. I don't think it factors in massively unless a club is consistently missing out.

24 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Fair enough :-)

One might suggest it’s the cash players are more interested in, rather than champions league over europa.

for example united signed pogba and zlatan when we failed to qualify for the champions league. 

3 hours ago, thetime said:

Although not on twitter anymore, I saw in the media that Gary Neville and the Accrington Stanley Chairman having a pop at each other. 

I can see both points to be fair, whilst it puts a few clubs noses out of joint it also gives fans a chance to dream. In the same way money has been pumped into City, gave there fans the chance to eat at the top table. 

I think overall the likes of Fleetwood, Forest Green, Crawley etc have been bad for the league. All are struggling to attract crowds and I can't see Salford getting much more than 3000 if they go up. If we get more of these bankrolled clubs with little fans going into the football league, the atmosphere in my opinion suffers. 

I would actually be in favour of merging league 2 and the national league and regionalising.

2 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

So yes.

I mean Aberdeen players. The reality is Aberdeen are making up the numbers. Therefore I'm not sure the pull of Europe is great. 

38 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think overall the likes of Fleetwood, Forest Green, Crawley etc have been bad for the league. All are struggling to attract crowds and I can't see Salford getting much more than 3000 if they go up. If we get more of these bankrolled clubs with little fans going into the football league, the atmosphere in my opinion suffers. 

I would actually be in favour of merging league 2 and the national league and regionalising.

Crawley being stuck between Palace and Brighton hardly helps. Interesting idea with the merge though.

38 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I mean Aberdeen players. The reality is Aberdeen are making up the numbers. Therefore I'm not sure the pull of Europe is great. 

Also, Aberdeen are playing Burnley. Not an exotic European trip is it?!

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I think overall the likes of Fleetwood, Forest Green, Crawley etc have been bad for the league. All are struggling to attract crowds and I can't see Salford getting much more than 3000 if they go up. 

Salford has a much larger population than the clubs you mentioned, with the right marketing they could be the next club on the up. Especially with the added help from the old united boys, contacts, marketing, media love in etc etc. 

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

Salford has a much larger population than the clubs you mentioned, with the right marketing they could be the next club on the up. Especially with the added help from the old united boys, contacts, marketing, media love in etc etc. 

They have 2 huge clubs on their doorstep. I would also think anyone with city links isn't going to support the class of 92, nor will the FC United fans move over. I struggle to see where the fans will come from.