Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

If the shoe fits... Spending money is spending money and that Coutinho money isn't a bottomless pit. Sure it's great to do so sustain ably and balance the books but no point pretending that LFC aren't just taking a leaf out of other top teams books re big transfers.

but even if they spend big this summer, it's still not going to have been very much net spending in recent years. Quite possibly tiny compared to others around them (can't be bothered to check but know it'd been low in recent years)

Surely it's far closer to the responsible way we'll all like all clubs to be run, rather than be rich man's playthings towards the top and the possessions of sharks towards the bottom...? Where a club builds itself up with the successes it has along the way.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

but even if they spend big this summer, it's still not going to have been very much net spending in recent years. Quite possibly tiny compared to others around them (can't be bothered to check but know it'd been low in recent years)

Surely it's far closer to the responsible way we'll all like all clubs to be run, rather than be rich man's playthings towards the top and the possessions of sharks towards the bottom...? Where a club builds itself up with the successes it has along the way.

Liverpool and Spurs are run the correct way in the way they do there transfer dealings. I’m sure I saw a table last season and there wasn’t many teams with a better net spend, certainly not near the top. 

Saying that Spurs and Liverpool have won one trophy between them in the last 10 years, so which is the best way to go? Only fans of the clubs can answer that. 

8 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I was at that match, Taylor did that handball off the line and then made it look like he was shot by a sniper. 3 red cards in a match. :lol:

Steven Taylor's red was hilarious. He falls down like he's been shot, then as he gets carded he just gets up, shrugs, grins, and walks off. Brilliant stuff.

29 minutes ago, thetime said:

Liverpool and Spurs are run the correct way in the way they do there transfer dealings. I’m sure I saw a table last season and there wasn’t many teams with a better net spend, certainly not near the top. 

Saying that Spurs and Liverpool have won one trophy between them in the last 10 years, so which is the best way to go? Only fans of the clubs can answer that. 

I think net spend is flawed as it makes clubs who sign players cheap on huge wages look prudent.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

I think net spend is flawed as it makes clubs who sign players cheap on huge wages look prudent.

but that's not really going on at either of those clubs - so in this case it doesn't much matter.

Instead, that factor is probably under-stating the spends at Utd, City & Chelsea.

14 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

The Ox is out for the whole of the coming season.... poor bugger... what the feck did he do??? 

Pretty much completely destroyed his knee from the sounds of things, the sort of injury where extensive surgery is required just to put it back together, yet alone play football at the highest possible level.

14 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Tottenham’s biggest transfer success is their sales

Much the same for Liverpool so far.  That only changes if they win the league.

They got exceptionally lucky with Coutinho, tho, as they sold him for big bucks without any really noticeable effect on their performances. That's pretty unusual.

5 minutes ago, thetime said:

When was the last spurs player sold noticeably over the odds? Bale and Modric maybe, looking back they under valued modric at 27m. 

Kyle Walker for £50m? Can't think of any other spurs sales over the last few seasons though. Liverpool's big improvement sales wise is getting decent money for players they want to get rid of

3 hours ago, pryce said:

Just moved to Nuneaton...(not sure what I have done to deserve it)

so I shall be going  to a few National League North games this year

In the same league as my local non league team, Telford United. Most of my match going games will be there this year, we have Nuneaton Boxing Day.