Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Apparently you have to sell Mitrovic to buy Rondon.

I would be perfectly happy with a straight swap.

I hope these rumours about Rondon are bullshit. I get Mitro doesn't fit into how we've played this season, but I don't think we should sell him unless we can get a £20m+ striker who can actually score goals in. Mitro offers more than Joselu or Rondon anyway.

7 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I hope these rumours about Rondon are bullshit. I get Mitro doesn't fit into how we've played this season, but I don't think we should sell him unless we can get a £20m+ striker who can actually score goals in. Mitro offers more than Joselu or Rondon anyway.

Rondon can't finish when given more than a second to think, nearly all of his goals are instinctive - headers, first time shots, etc. Give him any time to think and he'll cock it up, reached a point where I wouldn't bother getting out of my seat if he was through one on one.

He isn't a natural goalscorer, he doesn't even give the impression he wants to score goals. He's good at the physical stuff - chasing down, hassling defenders (although he gets bullied easily), but you never see him making near/far post runs, busting a gut to get into the box. He doesn't seem to have a striker's instinct.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Rondon can't finish when given more than a second to think, nearly all of his goals are instinctive - headers, first time shots, etc. Give him any time to think and he'll cock it up, reached a point where I wouldn't bother getting out of my seat if he was through one on one.

He isn't a natural goalscorer, he doesn't even give the impression he wants to score goals. He's good at the physical stuff - chasing down, hassling defenders (although he gets bullied easily), but you never see him making near/far post runs, busting a gut to get into the box. He doesn't seem to have a striker's instinct.

TBH, I think you could have left it at "Rondon can't finish" ?

I just see him as a further downgrade on Joselu, who I see as a downgrade on Mitro...

8 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

TBH, I think you could have left it at "Rondon can't finish" ?

I just see him as a further downgrade on Joselu, who I see as a downgrade on Mitro...

Seems madness to me that we're actively letting Mitro go to relegation rivals. I think that is a part of Rafa's managerial side that lets him down. Clearly Mitro is the type of player that you need to put your arm around.

1 hour ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Seems madness to me that we're actively letting Mitro go to relegation rivals. I think that is a part of Rafa's managerial side that lets him down. Clearly Mitro is the type of player that you need to put your arm around.

Rafa gets things in his head about certain players and his mind just won't be changed.

I know Mitro's a disciplinary liability, but I'd have thought it could be trained out of him. And half the fouls he does are things Shearer used to do and not get caught for.

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

Rafa gets things in his head about certain players and his mind just won't be changed.

I know Mitro's a disciplinary liability, but I'd have thought it could be trained out of him. And half the fouls he does are things Shearer used to do and not get caught for.

That's what I'm saying though. I reckon Rafa wouldn't have put up with Gazza.

1 minute ago, WS_Jack_III said:

That's what I'm saying though. I reckon Rafa wouldn't have put up with Gazza.

Rafa's still the best manager we've had since the great Sir Bobby, but he does seem to lack man-management skills for certain types of player.

It was amazing how many of Sir Bobby's players were deemed unmanageable liabilities by Souness. Fair enough Kieran Dyer after his punch-up with Bowyer, but Bellamy, Robert, Jenas. I still blame the twat for dismantling that team. 

35 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Did Mitro behave himself at Fulham last season?

38 minutes ago, thetime said:

Liverpool making a serious statement this summer. 

Yep. Great signings. Addressing each position where improvement is necessary. Means the bench will be stronger next year.

Incidentally, fans can stop banging on about the tiny net spend / overachieving etc now. Coutinho money only goes so far. Haven't seen anyone say that they're trying to 'buy the league' yet though which is funny.

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Haven't seen anyone say that they're trying to 'buy the league' yet though which is funny.

Shouldn't apply, surely?

Buying cheap and selling for big bucks is the only way for a team to progress which isn't buying your way to success - because it's organic growth rather than via a sugar daddy.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Shouldn't apply, surely?

Buying cheap and selling for big bucks is the only way for a team to progress which isn't buying your way to success - because it's organic growth rather than via a sugar daddy.

If the shoe fits... Spending money is spending money and that Coutinho money isn't a bottomless pit. Sure it's great to do so sustain ably and balance the books but no point pretending that LFC aren't just taking a leaf out of other top teams books re big transfers.

The difference between those transfers and United's though, is these may actually work in terms of a title challenge. Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, jyoung said:

The difference between those transfers and United's though, is these may actually work in terms of a title challenge. Time will tell.

You would have to say with last season and Liverpool’s buys this summer, Liverpool are 2nd favourites for the title.