Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

6 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I also fear that if the game becomes more focussed on set pieces, the importance of the set piece increases and diving (or looking for fouls) increases. Holding during set pieces was annoying, but I’m not convinced It’s annoyingly enough to make the game worse.

Seems a bit silly to not give things that should be, because of the fear of a potential consequence. You just have to deal with those that try to con the system with more appropriate action - eg harsher diving penalties and not giving as many little things as fouls.

40 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Seems a bit silly to not give things that should be, because of the fear of a potential consequence. You just have to deal with those that try to con the system with more appropriate action - eg harsher diving penalties and not giving as many little things as fouls.

I don’t know. We all know there are things that are given as fouls anywhere but the penalty box, that has happened for years and football has continued. I think it’s a case of using common sense from an awareness of the consequences.

54 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just feels wrong that it’s the day after the WC final and it’s under three weeks to the start of the season.

Need at least a month off to process the last few weeks.

You mean you're not counting the days until Bolton at home?

9 hours ago, jyoung said:

And that was that. A great tournament. Talking points. Drama. Wonder goals. Incredible individual performances. Upsets. Penalties. VAR. The lot...

Fourweekbreather now and then back to our clubs!

Its funny how different people see things differently. I felt great incredible performances were one thing the tournament was lacking. People on the TV talk about 1982, but that was before my time. I think a great world cup needs great teams and great players playing at their best, which I think this one lacked at times.

I also felt the uneven draw was bad overall for the tournament. I also felt it was a bit too Euro heavy and hope the non Europeans improve next time. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed it, I love the world cup even when others don't. I just don't see it as best ever like some.

34 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Its funny how different people see things differently. I felt great incredible performances were one thing the tournament was lacking. People on the TV talk about 1982, but that was before my time. I think a great world cup needs great teams and great players playing at their best, which I think this one lacked at times.

I also felt the uneven draw was bad overall for the tournament. I also felt it was a bit too Euro heavy and hope the non Europeans improve next time. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed it, I love the world cup even when others don't. I just don't see it as best ever like some.

I think it's funny how France were in two of the best games of the tournament (the final and vs Argentina), but primarily won them with counterattacking, but also two of the worst (Australia and Denmark).

For all the uneven draw, I think Croatia were the 2nd best team of the tournament. Both Brazil and Belgium looked very good at times, but only Brazil and Croatia actively impressed in the games they lost. I agree about the later stages being overly dominated by Europe, but I think that's partially a climate/location/timing thing, rather than just draw and strength of teams. Argentina are the weakest they've been in my lifetime, Columbia's star player was injured, the African teams all had faults plus were unlucky in the group stages (both in terms of groups and shit like Japan vs Poland). The USA fucking up and not qualifying won't have helped either, they could definitely take a lesser European scalp.

6 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think it's funny how France were in two of the best games of the tournament (the final and vs Argentina), but primarily won them with counterattacking, but also two of the worst (Australia and Denmark).

For all the uneven draw, I think Croatia were the 2nd best team of the tournament. Both Brazil and Belgium looked very good at times, but only Brazil and Croatia actively impressed in the games they lost. I agree about the later stages being overly dominated by Europe, but I think that's partially a climate/location/timing thing, rather than just draw and strength of teams. Argentina are the weakest they've been in my lifetime, Columbia's star player was injured, the African teams all had faults plus were unlucky in the group stages (both in terms of groups and shit like Japan vs Poland). The USA fucking up and not qualifying won't have helped either, they could definitely take a lesser European scalp.

It wasn’t necessarily about the non European teams progressing, I thought some in wc 2014 impressed, but still didn’t get out of the group, a lot this time didn’t turn up at all. I disagree about Croatia being second best, I think both Brazil and Belgium would have beaten them. I think there is an argument Belgium were as good as France, huge missed opportunity for them,

48 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Facts would put an end to that argument pretty quickly 

What facts? I think France v Belgium was a 50/50 game that could have gone either way. I think France were slightly better over the tournament (and didn’t have the awful spell Belgium had against Japan) but overall I think they were well matched. I have little doubt they would have made the final if Januzaj hadn’t made the squad.

Edited by pink_triangle

26 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

What facts? I think France v Belgium was a 50/50 game that could have gone either way. I think France were slightly better over the tournament (and didn’t have the awful spell Belgium had against Japan) but overall I think they were well matched. I have little doubt the house would have made the final if Januzaj hadn’t made the squad.

There are 3/4 countries that could  have made the final in the easy half of the draw.