Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

11 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

A lot of people have commented that “England will never have a better chance to win a World Cup than this one”. To me a more accurate statement is “England haven’t had a better chance to win another World Cup than this one”. England have all the factors to suggest they will be competitive in the future, a decent population, money and a football mad country.

Actually saying that I can’t decide if England’s route from semi finals to victory is better than 1990 or not, the semi is easier, but final probably tougher.

the under 19/21s have been doing well in international tournaments the last few years as well, which must be a factor as well as it seems to have leaked into the main team

53 minutes ago, thetime said:

For me what great about England, they are doing it with players ridiculed by fans and media.

the likes of Sterling, Young, Lingard, Ali and stones have all been ridiculed for being shite. 

Tbf England are doing it currently despite what Sterling is up to. Muck with the 3 lions on his chest...

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Tbf England are doing it currently despite what Sterling is up to. Muck with the 3 lions on his chest...

Yeah perhaps if you think the only part of the game is scoring goals.

Edit: I saw this video posted earlier in response to someone saying the same as you. I've watched quite a few of their videos in the past on certain managers and players and they're always spot on.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

41 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah perhaps if you think the only part of the game is scoring goals.

Edit: I saw this video posted earlier in response to someone saying the same as you. I've watched quite a few of their videos in the past on certain managers and players and they're always spot on.

Hahaha

What patronising twaddle

The new Heskey then. :P

Nah I don't think he's immune from criticism as there are many times every game where he's killing opportunities by not finding the right pass or shot, but he is a valuable player and not one we have a direct replacement for.

The hype around Rashford is wild given that he's notoriously patchy at club level and his main credit for England is being more energetic when he comes on 70 minutes in. He's got plenty of potential and I'm not really knocking him or anything but "good for England, poor in the Prem" is simultaneously the reason people don't want Welbeck in the squad and the reason Rashford should be in the starting eleven instead of Sterling.

Edited by dentalplan

22 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Hahaha

What patronising twaddle

What part of it's wrong? People are shitting on him for missing chances (which is fair), but his all round game has been fine. Seems like people are just seeing him waste a couple of chances and calling for him to be dropped without even considering the rest of his performance and what he offers.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There was certainly nothing in Rashford’s performance against Belgium to suggest he should replace Sterling.

Yeah exactly. Everyone who wants him dropped wants to see Rashford instead, who did nothing against Belgium, missed a one on one in the same way Sterling has been, and offered about a tenth as much on the rest of the pitch.

5 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah exactly. Everyone who wants him dropped wants to see Rashford instead, who did nothing against Belgium, missed a one on one in the same way Sterling has been, and offered about a tenth as much on the rest of the pitch.

Bit harsh, apart from the 2nd string game v Belgium he’s only played roughly about 30 minutes of World Cup football. 

28 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

What part of it's wrong? People are shitting on him for missing chances (which is fair),

Missing chances is a pretty big one. 

but his all round game has been fine.

No it hasn’t.

His first touch has been poor, and slows down our attacks - that’s if it doesn’t lead to the opposition regaining possession. 

He hasn’t made any assists, and has barely even created chances for others to have the opportunity to miss. 

Seems like people are just seeing him waste a couple of chances and calling for him to be dropped without even considering the rest of his performance and what he offers.

Nothing like that at all - he isn’t warranting his place in the side is all. 

The video’s basic argument (and yours?) seems to be that he runs around a lot and creates space for others. Which is fine, but there are others that can do that, others that may or may not also be able to create or score themselves as well as running round a lot and creating space for others...

4 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Missing chances is a pretty big one. 

No it hasn’t.

His first touch has been poor, and slows down our attacks - that’s if it doesn’t lead to the opposition regaining possession. 

He hasn’t made any assists, and has barely even created chances for others to have the opportunity to miss. 

Nothing like that at all - he isn’t warranting his place in the side is all. 

The video’s basic argument (and yours?) seems to be that he runs around a lot and creates space for others. Which is fine, but there are others that can do that, others that may or may not also be able to create or score themselves as well as running round a lot and creating space for others...

At the end of the day, Southgate wants him in the team, and says he is important to the team.

Pep says the same. 

Southgate has got us to the semi finals and i dont need to repeat Pep's accomplishments. If they say Sterling is a vital part of their first 11, then that is more than good enough for me!

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:

At the end of the day, Southgate wants him in the team, and says he is important to the team.

Pep says the same. 

Southgate has got us to the semi finals and i dont need to repeat Pep's accomplishments. If they say Sterling is a vital part of their first 11, then that is more than good enough for me!

I wouldn’t automatically say that because Southgate got them to the semis he is an expert on management, he still has a lot to prove. However my view is that there isn’t an obvious (and better) alternative, so why rock the boat.

18 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I wouldn’t automatically say that because Southgate got them to the semis he is an expert on management, he still has a lot to prove. However my view is that there isn’t an obvious (and better) alternative, so why rock the boat.

i trust he knows more than us when it comes to managing the england team:-)

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think many of us could have picked an England team who could have got to the semis with the draw they had, with or without Sterling. As I said I would go with continuity with no obvious replacement.

You don’t rate many managers in the semis do you pink? 

10 minutes ago, thetime said:

You don’t rate many managers in the semis do you pink? 

I think it’s difficult to rate (or not rate) Southgate on the basis of one tournament. If he wins the World Cup he will be a successful manager, you probably need another tournament to judge if he is a great one. 

I like the Croatia manager, although know little about him. If it wasn’t for Deschamps we may have the nicest quartet in World Cup history!

I think it's strange that Sterling has got so much more stick than Alli this tournament. I know Alli's not been fully fit, but apart from popping up for the goal against Sweden, he hasn't done anything since the first half against Tunisia. Sterling's been making stuff happen even if it's not been coming off.

That said, I'd start Welbeck over either of them against Croatia.

7 hours ago, thetime said:

Bit harsh, apart from the 2nd string game v Belgium he’s only played roughly about 30 minutes of World Cup football. 

But if you're gonna replace someone in the starting XI for a world cup semi final you have to have shown something in the game time you've had this far. I don't see any reason why Rashford deserves to knock Sterling out of the team.