Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

Croatia here hopefully. Think they are the better team but don't trust Putin not to pull any shenanigans if we get Russia. Bobby Moore's braclet may look tame in comparison.

Edited by lost

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Would still slightly prefer to face Hrvatska in the semi but either will be such tough opposition.

I think there are cards in this game which could benefit England. You are also in a good position in terms of cards because I think the England players on one yellow are all easily replaceable.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think there are cards in this game which could benefit England. You are also in a good position in terms of cards because I think the England players on one yellow are all easily replaceable.

England’s cards have been wiped. Some sort of post-Gazza law to prevent stars missing the final.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Nope. Cards are wiped after the quarters. Only a red card will affect it

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

This Sweden side are championship standard. I don’t find England the most exciting team to watch, but professional first half and heading for comfortable win.

Was actually a little sad to see the state of what used to be an interesting team. Them making the quarter finals seems to be a result of good fortune, as opposed to good football. I’d have rather England faced Switzerland even if that would have been more of a challenge.

Edited by dentalplan

Both teams look dead on their feet.. Croatia look like half the team is crocked. Probably couldn't of gone any better for England. Looking at the state of the Croat keeper I'd go with Russia too. Hope I'm wrong though.

Edited by lost

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Croatia are top athletes - I think they’ll be fine on Weds. The second goal against Croatia from a set piece is encouraging like but yeah it’s gonna be a fierce contest. Sad for Russia but I didn’t fancy England playing in that bear pit atmosphere.

At least England can eat their half time oranges without worrying now ! If I had to predict I would go for France beating England in the final.

55 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If I had to predict I would go for France beating England in the final.

Jesus! Look what can legitimately be typed these days?? 

No matter what happens from here on in I hope you English have enjoyed the fuck out of this! 

Semis of the World Cup!! Unreal....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Croatia are top athletes - I think they’ll be fine on Weds. The second goal against Croatia from a set piece is encouraging like but yeah it’s gonna be a fierce contest. Sad for Russia but I didn’t fancy England playing in that bear pit atmosphere.

Goalkeeper Danijel Subasic has a calf problem, Mario Mandzukic was hobbling around desperately during extra-time and Šime Vrsaljko came off with an injury. He will surely not be ready for Wednesday, and there must be doubts about the other two.

Also, playing 240 minutes in 5 days is not optimal and i think they will still be feeling it on weds.

England have to be odds on favourites to get to the final. 

Gareth Southgate to get a knighthood:-) And too think people were upset when he replaced Big Sam...

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Goalkeeper Danijel Subasic has a calf problem, Mario Mandzukic was hobbling around desperately during extra-time and Šime Vrsaljko came off with an injury. He will surely not be ready for Wednesday, and there must be doubts about the other two.

Also, playing 240 minutes in 5 days is not optimal and i think they will still be feeling it on weds.

England have to be odds on favourites to get to the final. 

Gareth Southgate to get a knighthood:-) And too think people were upset when he replaced Big Sam...

No, England played 210 in just under five days - the shortest turnaround between games - and Croatia played 240 in seven days.

I don't think weary legs at the end of extra time is much to hold against them but it sometimes amounts to something, I suppose. They had - like England - a lengthy rest period over the last group match, Mandzukic was still sprinting about at the end of extra time tonight, Subasic played on and Vrsaljko was replaced by Corluka so I don't think the squad is in ruin.

I think it's as even a game as England could get in this tournament but I feel confident. Something in the air and all that. Honestly it would be jokes if we came up against Belgium in the final after the whole thing about playing for the easy route.

A lot of people have commented that “England will never have a better chance to win a World Cup than this one”. To me a more accurate statement is “England haven’t had a better chance to win another World Cup than this one”. England have all the factors to suggest they will be competitive in the future, a decent population, money and a football mad country.

Actually saying that I can’t decide if England’s route from semi finals to victory is better than 1990 or not, the semi is easier, but final probably tougher.

Edited by pink_triangle