Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

but thats my point, no one was awful...

which means nothing against the idea that there's someone better.

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

And i know you say rashford but i dont think he is massively better than Sterling. Maybe Ali or sterling if Ali can get fit? 

Alli isn't a forward, and has had his own form issues this season. But also, to my own mind, I wouldn't play him again just because of how he clearly lied* to staff about his injury in the first match.

(*I understand why he did that - but there's no me in team)

Rashford and Sterling are different players with different qualities, and I'm quite comfortable with the idea of Sterling as the better player overall...  but that doesn't mean he's the best player for that team, because Rashford's different qualities might be better suited to the rest of the team.

For me it's Rashford's overall hunger that puts him ahead of Sterling, as well as him being more lethal with a shot.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I can see Sterling being "rested" on Thursday now that there is much less pressure on the game. if Rashford comes in an does better then that's decision made.

Exactly.

Also, I know people will argue to play the 'best team' and keep the momentum going but would replacing Sterling with Rashford and say, Young with Rose, Henderson with Dier and Maguire with Cahill really break up the momentum that much?

All players with arguably similar levels of ability.

37 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Exactly.

Also, I know people will argue to play the 'best team' and keep the momentum going but would replacing Sterling with Rashford and say, Young with Rose, Henderson with Dier and Maguire with Cahill really break up the momentum that much?

All players with arguably similar levels of ability.

Do you mean just for Belgium or beyond? Cos Hendo’s been class so far.

They are all reasonable changes for the one game but I’d prefer to keep the back three throughout so they can build on every performance.

Know it’s an unpopular shout but I’d like to see how Welbeck would work in Sterling’s role.

33 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Do you mean just for Belgium or beyond? Cos Hendo’s been class so far.

They are all reasonable changes for the one game but I’d prefer to keep the back three throughout so they can build on every performance.

Know it’s an unpopular shout but I’d like to see how Welbeck would work in Sterling’s role.

Just for the Belgium game to rest some legs!

I personally think at this point, and considering the position England are in currently, that it would be a wise decision to play Rashford against Belgium and see what he can do within the current England set up. If Sterling's confidence needs cotton wool nurturing then just tell him he is being rested for the knockouts, but if Rashford proves himself worthy then Sterling can have no arguments being dropped in the last 16.

There is something to be said about consistency in football, but not as an argument to keep Sterling there I feel. If any player is consistently under-performing from their high standards they show elsewhere then alternatives do need to be reviewed and looked at. You would hate to think that England would not play their potentially best team, or at least tweak things to see what their best team may be, just because they have used certain players in the past consistently and that that would be the reason to not change things.........

30 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Those last few minutes in the Iran vs Portugal match were surreal. I don't like slagging off refs but how, after several looks, he determined that was deliberate handball I will never know. Just imagine the scenes if Iran scored that last minute winner 

The games yesterday showed VAR working in the best and worst way. My conclusion is it should be kept for matters of fact and not opinion.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The games yesterday showed VAR working in the best and worst way. My conclusion is it should be kept for matters of fact and not opinion.

Which basically rules out everything apart from goal line technology which doesn’t require VAR anyway...?

15 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think it can work consistently well in time. A few issues need to be ironed out though:

1. I don't think the main ref should need that screen on the side of pitch. The other officials that are running VAR should be qualified enough to make the calls.

2. It needs to be quicker.

3. The rules need to be clear for when play can be stopped to look at VAR. There are times when one team are on the counter and play is stopped. 

4. It needs to be clearer in the stadium what is happening. It is bad enough trying to work out what's happening on TV, it must be a nightmare live.

I do think it is worth mentioning that overall VAR has worked well in this world cup. I think it would be a huge mistake scrapping it completely. Football officiating needs to be more accurate and VAR is a big step in the right direction.

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Which basically rules out everything apart from goal line technology which doesn’t require VAR anyway...?

And offside, it was correctly implemented yesterday for that Spain goal. Without it Spain would have lost and would be facing the prospect of being done over by Uruguay in the next round.

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

I would also use for determining if the ball has gone out of play and offsides like yesterday. I accept there are some borderline judgements here, but yesterdays Spain offside decision was pretty clear.

I just don't get what takes so long. The pen yesterday everyone stood around for a few minutes waiting to see what VAR said before the ref went to the screen. If the VAR team are so unsure after a few minutes then surely it's not clear and obvious.   

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My mate is in Russia right now and is going to that.

I am very jealous.

should be careful, I thought jackpot when I got Croatia vs Portugal in the knockouts at the euros 2 years ago....voted worst game of the tournament!

51 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

And offside, it was correctly implemented yesterday for that Spain goal. Without it Spain would have lost and would be facing the prospect of being done over by Uruguay in the next round.

I would be ok with that but only if the offside decisions can be given a lot faster and communicated to the ref in a similar way to goal line technology. Otherwise it just slows the game down far too much.