Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

9 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Sterling has to score that first half chance. Very poor from him IMO. Heads that into the ground, like all schools kids are thaught, and it’s a goal. If he does nothing in the second I think Southgate needs to consider dropping him. You don’t want under performing players on the field in the knockout stages

It's so English to moan about individual players when there is no need. We won 6-1 for god sakes and Sterling is a great player who we are lucky to have. Leave the lad alone.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

People love to moan about England so much that when we do as well as can be expected there's a real struggle for some people to find a negative. 

Yes it was Panama, yes they were shit (makes a mockery of the world cup imo that they can make it when far better teams can't but that's another argument), but that'll do wonders for the teams confidence.

Still don't look entirely comfortable at the back - but the Belgium game should actually be better because of that I'd say - as Belgium haven't looked great defensively either. 

6 hours ago, mjsell said:

People love to moan about England so much that when we do as well as can be expected there's a real struggle for some people to find a negative. 

Yes it was Panama, yes they were shit (makes a mockery of the world cup imo that they can make it when far better teams can't but that's another argument), but that'll do wonders for the teams confidence.

Still don't look entirely comfortable at the back - but the Belgium game should actually be better because of that I'd say - as Belgium haven't looked great defensively either. 

Panama came through a group including USA who have been competitive on the past. I think they deserving to be at the dance. The world cup should never be about just the best teams in the world. To me the fact they have been battered a couple of times matters little in the grand scheme.

3 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Even when they're winning 6-1? I don't think so. England have an inherent problem with negative fans. 

that may or may not be true.

Meanwhile, Sterling isn't contributing to a huge extent and it's a perfectly reasonable opinion and nothing overly negative to think that he might be replaced by another player from the squad.

So negative fans has naff all to do with this.

Just now, eFestivals said:

that may or may not be true.

Meanwhile, Sterling isn't contributing to a huge extent and it's a perfectly reasonable opinion and nothing overly negative to think that he might be replaced by another player from the squad.

So negative fans has naff all to do with this.

Yes, of course it is fine for fans to think Sterling should be dropped. That isn't the issue I have.

I have an issue with the overly critical fans who pounce on any mistake Sterling makes to have a moan. Most other nations would not be complaining about one of their strikers missing a chance when they won 6-1. 

3 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I have an issue with the overly critical fans who pounce on any mistake Sterling makes to have a moan. Most other nations would not be complaining about one of their strikers missing a chance when they won 6-1. 

that criticism is about more than that single missed chance - it's about all of the other missed chances, too.

Edited by eFestivals

8 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Yes, of course it is fine for fans to think Sterling should be dropped. That isn't the issue I have.

yup

also, the starting 11 has worked so far, and i think its a mistake to tinker except in the case of injury. And Rashford works better as an impact sub IMO

Some people said Kane should be dropped after the tunisia game for example...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that criticism is about more than that single missed chance - it's about all of the other missed chances, too.

Off the top of my head, Sterling has had two good chances this world cup. Hardly an abundance of misses. Regardless, when you play 2 up top there will always been one striker who is the primary goalscorer. Sterling's main job isn't to score goals, it is to link the midfield with the attack. He has done a good job of that. Overly negative fans are just pointing out the mistakes in his performances and ignoring the positives. 

7 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Off the top of my head, Sterling has had two good chances this world cup. Hardly an abundance of misses. Regardless, when you play 2 up top there will always been one striker who is the primary goalscorer. Sterling's main job isn't to score goals, it is to link the midfield with the attack. He has done a good job of that. Overly negative fans are just pointing out the mistakes in his performances and ignoring the positives. 

yup. He also assisted two of the goals yesterday and linked up well with lingard as well

That wasnt a performance which deserves dropping IMO

7 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

nah.

He hasn't been awful but he's not really been effective either.

And it's bollocks to pretend that he has been or that there aren't alternative options in the squad that it's perfectly reasonable for people to think would be more effective.

Most people want the best team on the pitch. They're not thinking "it's OK, we can carry Sterling".

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nah.

He hasn't been awful but he's not really been effective either.

And it's bollocks to pretend that he has been or that there aren't alternative options in the squad that it's perfectly reasonable for people to think would be more effective.

Most people want the best team on the pitch. They're not thinking "it's OK, we can carry Sterling".

I think you are missing the point. I am not saying we should not be open to replacing Sterling. It's the overly negative fans that I have a problem with.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, let's carry on not being as good as we could be. :lol:

And it's obvious that the criticisms are racist, of course, with just about everyone who wants him replaced are wanting a black player to replace him. :P

? i didnt say that. 

And there is value in a settled starting 11.  

Sterling is a good player: he wouldnt be starting for City and Pep if he wasnt.He was better yesterday than he was for tunisia, but i dont think he was bad in either game really.

Fowards miss goals. i think southgate wont be changing things up on that basis

2 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I think you are missing the point. I am not saying we should not be open to replacing Sterling. It's the overly negative fans that I have a problem with.

But if you jump on any suggestion of replacing Sterling as being driven by the 'overly negative', I've say the 'overly' is somewhere else to where you see it.

Just now, eFestivals said:

But if you jump on any suggestion of replacing Sterling as being driven by the 'overly negative', I've say the 'overly' is somewhere else to where you see it.

it just seems overly negative to criticise a team or the players when theyve qualified for the last 16 after their best international result (scoreline wise).

Just now, zahidf said:

And there is value in a settled starting 11.  

but we've not had that anyway ... and that's an idiot argument, essentially saying that we should stick with a team that's not as good as it might be 'just because'.

Just now, zahidf said:

Fowards miss goals. 

and Sterling misses them for England at a much bigger rate than other forwards do.

Which is an extremely strong basis for dropping Sterling.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I haven't done that. As I have said before, I think we should be open to replacing Sterling (or any player for that matter). 

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

it just seems overly negative to criticise a team or the players when theyve qualified for the last 16 after their best international result (scoreline wise).

Why? Yesterday wasn't only about yesterday, it's about the whole competition.

And forget Sterling for a moment, and put your words there against someone who might have been clearly awful yesterday - and you'd be saying we couldn't drop the awful cos the team won well.

Which is nuts.

Sterling wasn't awful, but there's still good reason for some to think he should be replaced. There are (in the minds of those people) better options, and we need to be the best team we can be.

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Why? Yesterday wasn't only about yesterday, it's about the whole competition.

And forget Sterling for a moment, and put your words there against someone who might have been clearly awful yesterday - and you'd be saying we couldn't drop the awful cos the team won well.

Which is nuts.

Sterling wasn't awful, but there's still good reason for some to think he should be replaced. There are (in the minds of those people) better options, and we need to be the best team we can be.

but thats my point, no one was awful...

And i know you say rashford but i dont think he is massively better than Sterling. Maybe Ali or sterling if Ali can get fit?