Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

27 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I remember the French squad being a mess in 2006, failing to win their first 2 games and reaching the final with Domenech as manager!

Were they a mess in 2006? I thought that was the other two tournaments.

19 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I disagree, but then again I don’t have a horse in the race. While Germany going out would be amusing, your left with Sweden stinking out the knockouts. I don’t want a World Cup like 2002 with only one decent side in the semis.

If Germany 2002 weren't decent then I don't see how this German side would increase the status of the tournament.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Were they a mess in 2006? I thought that was the other two tournaments.

If Germany 2002 weren't decent then I don't see how this German side would increase the status of the tournament.

On the pitch they were a mess, off the pitch not as bad as other tournaments but Domenech fell out with a few players.

I think Germany 2002 were the worst World Cup German side I have seen.  A 2 Man (Khan and Ballack team) with a lucky draw through to the final. Typical even bad Germany comes second!

Sterling has to score that first half chance. Very poor from him IMO. Heads that into the ground, like all schools kids are thaught, and it’s a goal. If he does nothing in the second I think Southgate needs to consider dropping him. You don’t want under performing players on the field in the knockout stages

6 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Sterling has to score that first half chance. Very poor from him IMO. Heads that into the ground, like all schools kids are thaught, and it’s a goal. If he does nothing in the second I think Southgate needs to consider dropping him. You don’t want under performing players on the field in the knockout stages

he did get a couple of assists! Sterling is a confidence player: dropping him would be a mistake IMO.

We are not talking about a duff player here. We are discussing the second highest-performing English player in the Premier League last season, who is struggling slightly for form at international level. Getting Sterling at his peak in this tournament will be key to England’s chances of surpassing reasonable expectation. Why would you not want to maximise the chances of that happening?

Edited by zahidf

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm not as certain that it's s game both teams will try to lose.

i think the confidence from a win is more important that a potentially favourable draw

Also Croatia and mexico have been better than Germany and Brazil so far this world cup. So i think coming second wont be THAT beneficial

Edited by zahidf

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

i think the confidence from a win is more important that a potentially favourable draw

I agree. I see both England and Belgium in that tier below the big boys. Beating a team in that tier will give 2 teams who lost to smaller nations in the Euros confidence they can make that next step. England and Belgium are full of top premiership players and have comfortably beat two nations I’m not convinced are championship standard, I would want to be tested a little more before the knockouts.

27 minutes ago, zahidf said:

he did get a couple of assists!

We’re counting missing a sitter as an assist now?

We are not talking about a duff player here. We are discussing the second highest-performing English player in the Premier League last season,

Hmm sounds like misguided opinion based on duff statistics to me. 

who is struggling slightly for form at international level.

Slightly? Slight understatement. 

Getting Sterling at his peak in this tournament will be key to England’s chances of surpassing reasonable expectation. Why would you not want to maximise the chances of that happening?

More supposition based on zilch. 

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

he did get a couple of assists! Sterling is a confidence player: dropping him would be a mistake IMO.

I’ve not seen any of the England games, keeping him in because it would affect his confidence seems naff. 

10 minutes ago, thetime said:

I’ve not seen any of the England games, keeping him in because it would affect his confidence seems naff. 

well not if its the only reason! he is a good player IMO. hes a little off but i dont think he is terrible. Southgate has his starting 11 and is going to stick to it barring injury. missing a couple of chances when you win 6-1 is hardly end of the world