Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

31 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Depends what team Croatia put out. Also if your Croatia and losing 1-0 to Iceland, if Argentina are winning what's the point putting the effort in to keep a stronger opponent in the competition.

That's true, if Croatia make 6+ changes then Iceland might nick something. I still think Croatia will make an effort to secure that top spot and avoid France.

1 minute ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Mitrovic!

Rafa please don't sell him.

Isn't the theory that Mitrovic doesn't suit the counter-attacking style Rafa's using, and that he doesn't trust his temperament?

Either way, he's probably our best finisher, and definitely offers something different up front to our other strikers (none of whom are good enough for the Prem).

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

That's true, if Croatia make 6+ changes then Iceland might nick something. I still think Croatia will make an effort to secure that top spot and avoid France.

They still have the likes of Kovacic, Badelj and Kramaric on the bench, right? Possible that they could switch players out and still find a result.

Group E is now pretty interestingly set. If the Swiss register a better result against eliminated Costa Rica than Brazil do against a good Serbia team playing for survival, they top the group on GD/GS. Would be more interesting if it meant avoiding Germany but whatever.

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Isn't the theory that Mitrovic doesn't suit the counter-attacking style Rafa's using, and that he doesn't trust his temperament?

Either way, he's probably our best finisher, and definitely offers something different up front to our other strikers (none of whom are good enough for the Prem).

Yes he doesn't suit our formation/style.

Looks like there are no funds again though so Rafa may have to hold onto some players. Are Fulham going to be able to pay 20m plus for Mitro? Who can we get to replace him?

36 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Looks like there are no funds again though so Rafa may have to hold onto some players. Are Fulham going to be able to pay 20m plus for Mitro? Who can we get to replace him?

Well we weren't using him this season, so it's not exactly "replace" is it?

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I think some of the analysis comparing England and Belgium's performances with the other top teams, is ignoring the relative strength of the opposition. 

In the second round of games teams have more urgency if they need the win as well. Changes the dynamic of lots of games.

3 minutes ago, lost said:

There we go thats what the Germans do.. still doesn’t make dropping Sane look ridiculous 

To be fair to Germany they kept their heads after the sending off, made an attacking substitution and their big player performed when needed. For all the talk about Sane, I feel performing in the premiership should give you an opportunity in the national team, rather than a guarantee. Brandt (who went instead) has looked good when he has come on. I would start him next game.

Yeah, as fun as a Sweden result would’ve been for us, they fluffed great chances to establish a lead and didn’t make the advantage count either. And Germany didn’t put on a masterclass or anything, they just capitalised on their chances better in the end.

Definitely deep problems in the German camp though - judging by events leading up to this game and the bench’s reaction to Boateng’s red - so I’m not convinced there’s a great revival about to happen.

Edited by dentalplan

35 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah, as fun as a Sweden result would’ve been for us, they fluffed great chances to establish a lead and didn’t make the advantage count either. And Germany didn’t put on a masterclass or anything, they just capitalised on their chances better in the end.

Definitely deep problems in the German camp though - judging by events leading up to this game and the bench’s reaction to Boateng’s red - so I’m not convinced there’s a great revival about to happen.

I remember the French squad being a mess in 2006, failing to win their first 2 games and reaching the final with Domenech as manager!