Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

19 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Nigeria v Iceland is one of those games when I think either team winning or the draw is just as likely. I think the coverage was a little disrespectful to Croatia as I don’t think there is much between the teams apart from Messi. Croatia could go far in this tournament.

Nigeria looked pretty hopeless last game and Croatia barely had to exert themselves to win comfortably, but maybe that's just how good Croatia are at the moment rather than a comment on the Nigerian team. Would still back Iceland tomorrow as we know how spirited they are and how good a position they're in now.

Maybe they were a little disrespectful to Croatia. But it's also true that you never really know when Croatia are gonna turn it on or not. Looking strong so far though and if Mandzukic perks up then they could definitely think about going beyond the quarters.

Yep Croatia have stormed to the top end of my 'power rankings' based on the first 2 rounds of fixtures. Likely to be a Spain/Portugal vs Croatia quarters game though, which either would very tasty. 

Says a lot of Iceland football's frankly ridiculous rise in the last few years that there are so many people confident of them to get 3 points against Nigeria.

Reckon that could end a draw. With 2nd place still firmly up for grabs in the final games in that group.

5 hours ago, mjsell said:

Yep Croatia have stormed to the top end of my 'power rankings' based on the first 2 rounds of fixtures. Likely to be a Spain/Portugal vs Croatia quarters game though, which either would very tasty. 

Says a lot of Iceland football's frankly ridiculous rise in the last few years that there are so many people confident of them to get 3 points against Nigeria.

Reckon that could end a draw. With 2nd place still firmly up for grabs in the final games in that group.

problem is Argentina have a 3 goal deficit they will need to overcome. And beat nigeria...

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

thing is, nothing of what he did as a kid defines whether he's a bastard or not.

He's definitely done some dickish things, and as a high profile player the press will make a thing of those dickish things. It's how it goes.

I just thought it was a well done and interesting look at his upbringing. 

Esp since im sure if he makes a mistake on the pitch, they will have a crack at him buying his mum stuff or whatever

Edited by zahidf

49 minutes ago, zahidf said:

problem is Argentina have a 3 goal deficit they will need to overcome. And beat nigeria...

If Iceland and Nigeria draw then it can't go to goal difference for 2nd place. 

Iceland would need a win against Croatia if Argentina beat Nigeria in the last game. 

36 minutes ago, mjsell said:

If Iceland and Nigeria draw then it can't go to goal difference for 2nd place. 

Iceland would need a win against Croatia if Argentina beat Nigeria in the last game. 

Yep. Discounting Messi et al a bit premature yet.

But with that defence they aint going them much further in any case

8 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Yep. Discounting Messi et al a bit premature yet.

But with that defence they aint going them much further in any case

yeah. Also, judging from the manager saying post game that messi is bring held down by the rest of the team probably isnt going to help morale at all

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

May need to overcome, the result today will have a big impact whether goal difference is important. If Nigeria win and iceland fail to beat Croatia, it probably won't matter.

Edited by pink_triangle

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

yeah. Also, judging from the manager saying post game that messi is bring held down by the rest of the team probably isnt going to help morale at all

Lmao. Messi picks the team, doesn’t he? Would be a laugh to see them bench Messi, start Di Maria, Higuain, Dybala and Banega and overturn the deficit to take them through.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Lmao. Messi picks the team, doesn’t he? Would be a laugh to see them bench Messi, start Di Maria, Higuain, Dybala and Banega and overturn the deficit to take them through.

the manager basically said 'Its messi, who am i to tell him what to do?'

Same as what Big Sam said about Rooney

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Getting anything against Croatia will be a big ask for Iceland, points on the board are so important. I reckon Nigeria will get a result against Argentina and go through.

Depends what team Croatia put out. Also if your Croatia and losing 1-0 to Iceland, if Argentina are winning what's the point putting the effort in to keep a stronger opponent in the competition.