Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

6 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Not really a big deal is it??

Depends how you look at it.

In terms of Panama knowing our line up? No, we should beat Panama anyway.

In terms of dropping Sterling? Some would say that's a big deal. 

Anyway if Alli is injured I think RLC is the right choice. I agree with starting Rashford as well.

15 minutes ago, jyoung said:

In terms of dropping Sterling? Some would say that's a big deal. 

some players just don't perform for the national side for whatever reasons - and Rashford seems to have all that Sterling is missing.

15 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Anyway if Alli is injured I think RLC is the right choice. I agree with starting Rashford as well.

it was obvious he was the other night. He told them he was OK at the time because he knew his world cup was over. Obviously!

Dropping Sterling is no biggy IMO. Fella has not done it at this level and MR deserves the chance. Maybe this gives Sterling the kick in the ass he may need to step up? Lets see how it works if he is brought on later in a game and has to change things......... it could be a really positive move for England in the end

22 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Dropping Sterling is no biggy IMO. Fella has not done it at this level and MR deserves the chance. Maybe this gives Sterling the kick in the ass he may need to step up? Lets see how it works if he is brought on later in a game and has to change things......... it could be a really positive move for England in the end

Don't think a kick up the arse is what Sterling needs, it's his composure in front of goal which needs to improve rather than anything to do with effort. Think he may benefit from being out of the spotlight though, and bringing on his pace against a tiring defence could create all sorts of space.

23 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

I think one thing about the current England squad is there isn’t a huge difference between th3 first 11 and backups, I therefore think it makes sense to rotate the squad.

6 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Don't think a kick up the arse is what Sterling needs, it's his composure in front of goal which needs to improve rather than anything to do with effort. 

Maybe him realizing he is not a shoo-in to start or get a game will help him focus and give him the psychological jolt he may need to be more composed in front of goal in an England shirt? Who knows? I dont know how his mind works and what motivates him and what is best for him to respond positively. Im simply speculating that this may be good for him and for England.......

18 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Maybe him realizing he is not a shoo-in to start or get a game will help him focus and give him the psychological jolt he may need to be more composed in front of goal in an England shirt? Who knows? I dont know how his mind works and what motivates him and what is best for him to respond positively. Im simply speculating that this may be good for him and for England.......

I think he's reasonably-well motivated to improve, but I also reckon his record at Man City is sort-of telling him he doesn't have to.

Thing is, England will never be ripping up teams in the same way to give him the multiple and often-easy chances he gets with City.

6 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I just didn't see this fluidity you saw, but we will have to agree to disagree! No evidence but just an opinion from my years watching England.

It was there, hence why the cb's were often joining the midfield and the wing backs often pushing up like wingers. The pundits were also commenting on how fluid England played. 

As you say, we can agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Sterling's improvement under Pep shows that he is a player who needs to know he is believed in. The worst thing to do for his confidence would be to drop him. I think Panama is a good chance for him to get a confidence boost without too much pressure. 

51 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Sterling's improvement under Pep shows that he is a player who needs to know he is believed in.

Debatable. 

51 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

The worst thing to do for his confidence would be to drop him. 

Possibly, possibly not. The important thing though is the right decision is made for the benefit of England. 

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

The worst thing to do for his confidence would be to drop him.

Very much debatable, as we do not have proof of this, or to the contrary. Its not possible for punters to measure the actual cause and effect of a players performance. Its all speculation really, isnt it?  Lets see, eh? Maybe Sterling is mature enough these days to recognize he aint doing enough in an England shirt and that someone like Rashford should be given a shot until Sterling proves otherwise........

Edited by ThomThomDrum

10 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Debatable. 

Possibly, possibly not. The important thing though is the right decision is made for the benefit of England. 

3 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Very much debatable, as we do not have proof of this, or to the contrary. Its not possible for punters to measure the actual cause and effect of a players performance. Its all speculation really, isnt it?  Lets see, eh? Maybe Sterling is mature enough these days to recognize he aint doing enough in an England shirt and that someone like Rashford should be given a shot until Sterling proves otherwise........

I agree with you both, it is impossible to know without actually knowing Sterling personally. 

I would play him against Panama as it is a chance for him to play with less pressure. If he struggles again against them we can think about dropping him. 

4 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Indeed, well this game is a cracker though!

Been shocked into life again after nearly two dull days. Gotta love this one.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Commentator said Argentina can only get out of group on goal difference. Surely if Nigeria beat Iceland that isn’t correct.

Yep true. I think they were prematurely putting 3 pts on Iceland, which I imagine they’ll get tbf.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yep true. I think they were prematurely putting 3 pts on Iceland, which I imagine they’ll get tbf.

Nigeria v Iceland is one of those games when I think either team winning or the draw is just as likely. I think the coverage was a little disrespectful to Croatia as I don’t think there is much between the teams apart from Messi. Croatia could go far in this tournament.